July 23, 2010

Joey and Selena =Ramona and Beezus

Posted by at 10:05 am in Book to Big Screen, Celebrities | Permalink

Stacks_ramonandbeezus_130x130 Beezus and Ramona. Ramona the Pest. Ramona Quimby, Age 8. . . aah the staples of my childhood. There was nothing like a Beverly Cleary book paired with a comfy couch and snack to take me to my happy place. And if you guys love the Ramona books as much as I do, then you’ll be psyched for the movie, Ramona and Beezus (notice their names switched in the movie title!) hitting theaters today (rated G)!

In true Ink Splot 26 style, we’ve got interviews with the stars of the movie: Selena Gomez (Beezus) and Joey King (Ramona). We asked Selena . . .

Q: Did you read Beezus and Ramona before doing the movie?

Selena: I actually read them when I was in third grade! Then once I got the part, I reread the books.

Q: Were you a big Beverly Cleary fan when you were a kid?
Selena:
Yes. Oh my goodness. That book [Beezus & Ramona series] and The Wizard of Oz were the only books I could reread over and over and over again. I absolutely loved them.

Beezus and Ramona

Q: Beezus is a nickname for Beatrice. Do you have any nicknames?
Selena:
People called me Sel a lot when I was younger. They still do!

Q: In real life do you identify more with Beezus or with Ramona?
Selena:
Probably Ramona. Beezus is hard for me to get into because she’s very uncomfortable in her skin, and trying to be someone that she’s not half the time.

Q: What is the most unusual talent that you have that people don’t know?
Selena:
I can make a really amazing cheesecake. I’m not too good at cooking (I would like to learn), but an amazing cheesecake I can make! That’s for sure.
[Ratha: Move over Cheesecake Factory – you've got competition!]

Q: What is your favorite subject in school?
Selena:
Biology. I’m completely fascinated with our world, our planet itself, and how it works.
[Ratha: That's awesome!]

Q: What will you take away as a memory from making Ramona and Beezus?
Selena:
It was my first feature film. I’d done television and DVDs and stuff that I’m comfortable with. This was very hard for me. . . But in the end I actually learned a lot about movies, about people, and Joey [King] who played my little sister became my sister. She’s just so sweet and wonderful.

Bringing us to our next interview. . . with Joey King, who plays Ramona:

Q: Had you read Beezus and Ramona before you started working on the movie?
Joey:
Well, I’m gonna be honest with you – I only read one of them. Then when I found out I got the part, I read all the rest and then I loved them!

Q: Did you become a Beverly Cleary fan after reading them?
Joey:
Yes, of course I did! I love Beverly Cleary after that. I thought the books were great.

Q: What kind of books besides Beverly’s books do you like to read?
Joey:
Sometimes I like to read scary books like Goosebumps.

Q: Is Joey a nickname for anything?
Joey: No, Joey is my full name. I was named after my grandfather. I mean that’s my full first name.

Q: What do you like best about Ramona?
Joey:
I like that she is crazy and out there and she isn’t ever shy.

Q: Tell me about Selena Gomez. What was it like to work with her?
Joey:
I had the best time working with her! We were really close. I did see her show before the movie and I really liked her show and I thought, “Hey, if I get to work with Selena Gomez, then that’s really cool.” She’s a really nice girl, and she’s a person just like everyone else.

Q: What book are you reading right now?
Joey:
I’m actually reading Henry and the Paper Route [by Beverly Cleary] and I really like it. I like that Henry, even though he’s only ten he doesn’t give up on trying to get his paper route. And he’s a really nice guy because he adopted kittens from a rummage sale. He found them and he bought one from the litter. He’s just a really great kid and he’s pursuing his dreams, and I like that.
[Ratha: Sounds like you! Except that I don't think you've ever adopted kittens from a rummage sale while delivering newspapers. . .?]

Q: I read you’ve been acting since you were four?
Joey:
Yes. My sisters were in acting and my mom put me in it and I’ve loved it ever since.

Q: Are you in regular school?
Joey:
I’m home-schooled with an online program. Well I haven’t always been home-schooled. But I do like being home-schooled and I don’t really miss regular school because I still have all the same friends.

Q: You’ve done a lot of food commercials. Did you ever have a bad experience?
Joey:
I don’t like spitting in spit buckets. It makes me want to puke! It’s so disgusting.
[Ratha: When actors have to do food scenes in movies or commercials, they usually do a lot of takes. So, rather than actually eating the food, they chew it, then spit it into a spit bucket when the camera stops rolling. Yuck! I'd hate to be the guy who has to clean THAT bucket!]

And there you have it folks! You can also check out the transcript of our Live Chat with Joey when she was here at THE STACKS. And let us know what you think in the Comments!

— Ratha, STACKS Writer

Interviewed by Marie Morreale
Photos Courtesy of 20th Century Fox

1. pinkchihuahua290

I love this movie and think they picked great chareters for it. I think the romona is a spunky young girl with a great and a big imagination.

2. Gagagirl12

Dear Selena,
    What was the best thing working with Joey king?I really wanna know cause you and Joey king are my two favorite actresses!!!!!!

3. ibored2

I love this MOVIE. It was really good actors and actresses.I love Selena Gomez and thats wat inspired me to watch this movie. I <3 this MOVIE. :)

4. B

i love Ramona and Beezes!! it is the best movie i have ever watched!!!!! its sweet and it finally isnt about just either kids adults or teenagers its about kids!!!!

5. Gracie

oh um hi joey im 8 to i have a sister thats a pest to but i didn’t see the movie but i will read the book with real pictures no cartoons. but please some one but me on tv i promise you i am talented dont have much to offer but please. bye GIRLS.

6. peypey11

i so want to see the movie eally really really bad!!! The books are awesome though. there is a Ramona and Beezuz book coming out on scholastic and its totally based on the movie. I will definately get it.

7. maria

Dear selean,
    am a big fan I love the movie you did with joey king. it was the best movie ive ever sind.I hope you read thes!

8. SoulSisterTrain

Hey Selena,
    My sister and i r such big fans of you. you r our idol! we <3 u. you r one of our FAVS! sometimes i wonder how cool it is to meet you and ask you stuff.

9. Demi Lavato fan

OMG! I think Joey King is so cute and Selena Gomez is a great role model that so many girls can look up to! I’d like to thank them for being the amazing people that they are, so thanks Selena and Joey! You guys are awesome! Love, Demi Lavato fan

10. Lenrockz!

Omg I WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE!I read Ramona Quimby
    age 8 when i was in 3rd grade and i loved it!Cant wait to see Ramona and Beezus!

11. liz22101

I just saw the movie today and I thought it was really cool.:If Selena Gomez is reading this,I hope she sees that I AM HER BIGGEST FAN.

12. short_ninja

i read all the beverly cleary books when i was younger. i love them! and when i saw that there was going to be a movie, i was so excited! and i think that selena gomez and joey king will do a great job as ramona and beezus

13. Chidi

I love beverly Clearly books. I read them all ing grade two and three. They where like my first ever novle i read.

14. Cana R.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUU GUUUUUYYYYYYSSSSSSS RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

15. tokidoki888

i havent watched the movie, but the book is really good. i think this movie will be awesome. it looks so funny.

16. doggiedreams

Selena’s one of my best celebrities!! i can’t wait to see the movie.Ramona and Beezez are awesome!That’s a fact :)

17. doggiedreams

i think Joey and Selena both really awesome!I can’t wait to see the movie. Selena one’s of my best celebrities!!!!!

18. AbaGayle

well i havent read the books but…i think i’d like them in reading ALOT of candy apple books right now i have 19 on hold right now i just love them:)and i REALLY want to see the book i love Selena Gomez’s show and her voice is beautiful!!!:) i actually am thinking for auditioning for some sort of show or movie but im too shy..my mom says when in acting im not me but well i just need some advise from anyone really maybe an actress or someone near that anyway if anyone is reading this i have a few questions 1.How hard is it to act is it super…hard or do you catch along? 2.are there any auditionings happening soon? 3. can you give my any advice?

19. s.snape2000

Did you know that Joey King was on the Suite Life of Zack and Cody?It was on the episode “Day Care”.It was when she was littler.
    Oooo!I am going to Selena Gomez’s concert :)

20. blue's cool

the movie sounds awesome and i enjoy watching Selena Gomez star in shows so the movie will be great

21. Laura

Dear Selena,
    What was the best thing about working with Joey King? I recently read in one of your magazine interviews that you two are like sisters! How great for you two!

22. Laura

I would really like to see this movie, Ramona and Beezus, but i would really love to know what kind of special connection the little girl and her sister have. Peace and love!

23. soccermvp

I think both girls are so cool!!! I love selena gomez’s show! I have read Ramona the Brave and Ramona Forever but I haven’t read the rest….I can’t wait to see the movie!