June 10, 2010

The Next Justin Bieber: Cody Simpson

Posted by at 7:16 am in Celebrities, Music | Permalink

Cody_Simpson_130 UPDATE!! We have a new video of Cody performing “iYiYi” just for you!

OK, even though I’m an adult, I do kind of understand the appeal of Justin Bieber, but to be totally honest, I think Cody Simpson is even better. This 13-year-old was just a regular kid in Australia putting videos of himself singing on YouTube when he got discovered, flew to the U.S. and recorded his debut album. I’m completely addicted to the first single “iYiYi” right now. Scholastic got to interview him and get the inside scoop on this new cutie.

Q: The first song that you ever wrote was about putting a diaper on a chicken. How did you come up with that?
Cody:
Oh, yeah, that’s my first song. I learned two chords on the guitar so I played it with that and I really don’t know why I wrote it about that. Just about putting diapers on chickens, changing their diapers. That’s what my seven-year-old brain was thinking. Now I look back at it now and I’m like, “Wow.”

Q: How did you get the idea to start putting your songs on YouTube?
Cody:
Well, I did a concert. I performed “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz with a girl and she wanted me to put it on the YouTube so that was my very first video. And then a few people started liking it so I put on more covers of artists that inspired me like Justin Timberlake and Jason Mraz. And then more people started liking it so that’s when I got a call from a producer named Sean Campbell. He produced artists like Chris Brown, Missy Elliott, Jay Z. And he wanted to come over and record a few songs. He introduced me to a manager named Lou Williams who shopped me around to labels at Atlantic records, and now I’m releasing my first single “iYiYi.” I never really thought things would happen. It all just sort of happened real quick.

Cody_Simpson Q: What do your friends at school think about your new-found stardom?
Cody:
Oh they’re really excited for me. They’ve been supporting me as well as my family. I feel really grateful to have such supportive people around me.

Q: Do any girls have crushes on you?
Yeah, sometimes. [laughs]

Q: What’s the best song ever recorded?
Cody:
It would definitely have to be all the Michael Jackson songs. I think he’s really inspiring. He’s inspired a lot of people and he’s really changed the world of music.

Q: Who are you listening to now besides working on your own music?
Cody:
I love listening to Jason Derulo right now. I think he has an amazing album so I’d love to meet him one day.

Q: What’s your favorite subject in school?
Cody:
Probably English because that really helps me with my songwriting.

Q: Besides the chicken and the diaper song, when did you start writing real song lyrics?
Cody:
When I was about eleven or twelve that’s when I wrote my first real song called “Ride My Roller Coaster” and my parents and family thought it was really good so that’s when my songwriting really started from there.

Q: When you’re writing a song does the music come to you first or the lyrics?
Cody:
I don’t think it really matters. If something just comes to my head, I’ll write it down and if it’s a melody I’ll put lyrics to it. If it’s a few lyrics I’ll write the song from there. Sometimes I’ll have a chord progression on my guitar and I’ll use that as a basis for writing my song.

Q: What’s the most important thing that you want your fans to know about you?
Cody:
I’d like them to know thank you for supporting me. I really appreciate it.

Q: What’s the best part about growing up in Australia?
Cody:
It’s a great place to grow up where I live on the Gold Coast. There’s nice beaches. And I love to surf so it was perfect to me to be there. I used to go surfing all the time and hang out with friends and all that stuff.

Q: What’s been the biggest challenge for you?
Cody:
We’re moving with my family to L.A. That’s hard because we’re gonna miss our family in Australia and my friends as well.

Q: If you could do something to make the world a better place, what would it be?
Cody:
To end poverty. Actually, if I become successful I really want to help the world with that.

Cute or what? What do you think? Let me know in the Comments.

Interviewed by Marie Morreale
Photos courtesy Atlantic Records

1. Lauren

WOW.. Cody Simpson is super-duper good at snowboarding && now singing.. && he is definatly the next(WAY BETTER) Justin Bieber.! :)

2. B

I think that CODY SIMPSON would be the greatested new JUSTIN BEIBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT SOMETIMES I THINK THAT THEY ARE BOTH EAQUAL

3. Rachel

Ya he probably could be the next justin bieber. i LUV justin bieber, and all of his songs, but i like cody simpson 2… hes RLLY cute

4. kelsey

oh yea he isnt the next justin bieber justin has a huge future ahead of him and cody does to they will both make it far cause they are great!

5. kelsey

i started listioning to cody about a month ago i would say and im falling in love with him. lol. now i like justin bieber too and i cant believe im saying this but i think i like cody a tiny bit more then justin bieber. omg i cant beliebe i just said that. im gonna like them both the same cause i love them both! so i like them both evenly thats what ive decided. sorry this is long it was just my thoughts in wrighting. lol but thats what i think!

6. sofie r

Justin Bieber is the cutest you no what i mean big big big Justin bieber fans and the new guy is so not JUSTIN BIEBER

7. Steve

Ahhhh! I love his song “One”. And many people are wrong about him-hes not going to be the next justin bieber….HES GOING TO BE BIGGER THAN JUSTIN BIEBER! (oh yeah and i think hes really cute!)

8. bluecoconuts

I knew about Cody before he was famous. I like both Justin and him. But there is another ‘Aussie Bieber’, Jordan jansen. I like him best out of the two! :)

9. Jackie

I think he mit be b/c he sounds ALOT like Justin Beiber!!!!!!
    Another cutie 2 crush on !!!
    Yaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh
    Who nows he might not be if people dont find out bout him which is goin 2 b really hard 2 get him out!!
    ♥,
    Jackie

10. rosy3

woww i heard his song named 1 by cody simpson n wowww he is really good he is talented n he is really cute n talented he might be the nxt justin bieber they talented n cute j.b might be mad or upsted ugh ohhh but he still #1

11. rosy3

OMG HE GOT RECONIZED ON YOUTUBE LIKE JUSTIN BIEBER SO REALLY I WILL HEAR HIS SONGZ BUT JUSTIN BIEBER IS THE CUTEST SRYY ND PPLE MIGHT SAY HE LOOK LIKE THE NXT J.B BUT THERE WILL BE 1 J.B THATZ THE REAL JUSTIN BIEBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Jess

I haven’t heard of him before and I didn’t listened to his songs but I really wonder his first song (which is about putting a diaper ona chicken) :) He probably can be the next Justin Bieber. I don’t like Justin Bieber but I can like Cody :)

13. SALLY80

justibn justin b is cute maybe ok not but ya have yu haread omm omm cambell soup and baby love baabbababy so cute song

14. assyrian chick

hey, if he’s the next justin bieber, so be it. As long as he isn’t consisted and most of his songs are deticated to girls, then i’m cool with it. Hey, it’s his life, if he wants to be a singer, whatev. FOLLOW YR DREAMS.

15. melissa

He’s ok. Not as good a Justin though. No offense but I just heard of him today. If his career has taken off its not doing well. He’s unknown.

16. joseph

i do not think that new kid would compare to justin beiber.just look justin beiber made it on one of those cd music things.but i though i heared justin on those tv radio luv the tv radio.the tv music i am talking about if u have dish than go on the 6,000 channels

17. joseph

the first justin beiber is cool. y have a new justin.i would have to see him perform berfore i could say anything

18. rickriordanfan

Why’s everybody trying to replace JB?! Anyways, I’ve seen Cody and was into his music before he got all famous and I’m still going to like him now. I just don’t think he should replace Justin. LONG LIVE JB!:) and CS!

19. just girls

trust me not the mext justin bieber love justin bieber ilovehim iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmi mean justin bieber who dosent

20. forevalove

i think about JB allllll the time I LIKE HIM MORE THAN ANYONE IN THE WORLD LOL NO ONE IS GOING TO TAKE HIM AWAY!!!!!

21. STUFFEDNINJAPIE

oh my, totally cute. unfortanately for him, i don’t like justin bieber. sorry, my gorgous blondy!

22. Lenrocks!

NO NO AND NO HE IS NOT THE NEXT JUSTIN BIEBER! I DISAGREE WITH YOU!WRITTING ABOUT LOVE IS BETTER THAN WRITTING ABOUT CHICKENS IN DIAPERS!

23. sillybandz

I love Justin Bieber and I saw this guy on the internet and thought “Wow, he can actually become something!” Of course I WAS RIGHT!!! :) LOL

24. s.snape2000

Ok, so because they are comparing him to Justin Bieber, I dont really like him. I went online and found some of his songs, and some of his songs are pretty good.I just dont really like Justin Bieber!

25. Wolfsong11

dont offend him by comparing him to JB then again I havn’t heard him sing so he might sound like JB

26. Lala

HI
    HE HAS GREAT MUSIC! ( CODY SIMPSON) I LOVE HIS MUSIC YOU HAVE GOT TO LISTEN TO IT I AM HIS #1 FAN! GO C.S.! YOU ROCK AND ROLL! . .
    U TO JB

27. Hannah Montana Fan

He does NOT look like justin bieber at all SORRY,Cody simpson is NOT the next Justin bieber

28. Nat

iYiYi = AWESOME SONG!
    I have heard this song n i think it’s a really good song! And Cody Simpson is from AUSTRALIA!!!!!! YEAH! He is a really good singer and I think that he could be better than Justin Bieber when he’s Justin Bieber’s age.

29. kajeet19

Frankly, I dislike this kid’s music almost as much as Justin Bieber’s pop-cookie-cutter sound. Is our generation cursed to be forever looked upon as the age of high-pitched “cuties” and sparkly vampires? Uggh…

30. nemobabe123

CUTIE even though i don t listen to him and thats wierd how he just got disscoverd on youtube but i go on youtube alot so yah realy i like the computernerd01 hes funny try cheakn him out

31. Emily!!!!!!!

Cody! I am your biggest fan but (no offence) I dont think you look much like Justin Bieber, but you are still pretty cute! I wish I could meet you!!!!!!

32. faithgwen1

Wow cody is so much better than justin Bieber, who can be a bit of a snob. Baby baby ewww! Anyways Cody looks cute.

33. Melissa

Well…. um… srry to say this but I think Justin Bieber is way better than him. No offence though. Justin is WAY cuter. He’s like my idol! lol. Im just a more bigger fan of JB. Srry.

34. cat78956

Cody is cuter…and he sings better than Justin Bieber. While my friends are obsessed with JB I’ll be obsessed with Cody Simpson.

35. IronFullback40

To be honest with you i’m not into Justin Bieber so i’ll probably fall asleep with this too.

36. Emma

Okay, I take back my take back, I’m torn between Greyson Chance and Cody Simpson. Why do they have to both be so amazing? 143 Cody and Greyson! As for Justin Bieber, I just like his music.

37. annabethfan

Well. thank you for sharing it. I’m not a Justin Bieber fan. [ sorry fans.] But he is just so out of season. I might Listen to this Cody guy.

38. GAIL

Cody is only 13. He has amazing talent for that age. Why do people compare him to Justin ? thats 4yrs away. imagine what Cody will sound like then

39. Emma

Hm… I take that back, he sounds a little less like a girl compared to Justin Bieber. Greyson Chance is better than both of them though! =D

40. Emma

OoOoO! He’s pretty cute. Just listened to the song! I LOVE it! I need to buy it on iTunes now! Lovin’ the accent. You can actually tell that he’s a guy, not a girl. LOL!
    @Jocelyn: No, he’s not the next Justin Bieber, he’s better. =D Justin Bieber is a good singer, the looks are… eh. Greyson Chance though, tops both of these guys!

41. green queen 09

Well, I don’t really like Justin Beiber! ;) But I’m gonna check him out! (BTW, he is CUTE! X))

42. Madi

OMG! LUV HIM!!! He may not be the next JB.. but he is still amazing! Plus I think JB has an amazing career ahead of him. I don’t think you can really call anyone the “next” Justin beieber.

43. nellieforeva

i haven’t heard of him before today but he does sound like he probably has a career in front of him

44. snowybrainyfreckle

sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww shmowzow