June 11, 2010

Jaden Smith is the Karate Kid

Posted by at 8:15 am in Celebrities | Permalink

Karate_kid_130 Jaden Smith made his movie debut in 2006, acting with his dad, Will Smith. This summer, Jaden gets his first starring role in a re-imagining of a classic ’80s movie, The Karate Kid (rated PG). Here’s the scoop on the new Karate Kid (rated PG), which opens in theaters June 11.

Jaden plays Dre Parker, a kid from Detroit who moves to Beijing with his mom when she gets a new job (can you imagine changing to a new school halfway around the world? Scary!). At his new school, Dre gets bullied for liking a classmate, and he only knows a little karate to defend himself. Then he meets a maintenance man, Mr. Han (Jackie Chan), who is a secret master of kung fu. Mr. Han agrees to mentor Dre in kung fu using his unconventional teaching methods.

We caught up with Jaden to find out more about his character, his best subject in school and his book recommendations. (You may have heard of them. . .)

Karate_kid_small Q: Tell us about your character in Karate Kid.

Jaden: My character’s name is Dre Parker. He has to move from his home in Detroit when his mom gets a job in China. Dre wants to be tough all the time. He tries to be the macho, tough-kid type when he goes to China. But instead he gets beats up because he likes this girl. He learns that violence is not the answer.

Q: What do you like about him?

Jaden: I liked his ability to stand up to a bully.

Q: In real life, do you think you would be friends with Dre?

Jaden: Yes, we would be friends because I like his courage. And he’s kind.

Q: Which scene was the most fun to shoot? Which scene was the hardest?

Jaden: The tournament at the end of the movie was the most fun and the hardest to shoot, because I had to constantly fight every day. It was exhausting. But it was also really cool.

Q: What is your favorite subject in school? Why?

Jaden: Math because I am amazing at it.

Q: If you were going to recommend three books to a friend, what books would you recommend?

Jaden: There’s actually four: Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. The whole Twilight series [for ages 12 and up] is really good.

Jaden also has this to say to you, Splotters: “Follow your dreams.” Great advice, Jaden! Will you be checking out The Karate Kid? Have you ever watched the original movie? Let us know what you think in the Comments.

— Kelli, Scholastic Staffer

Photos courtesy Columbia Pictures

1. daisys

I went to go see the movie yesterday, It was really cool, fun, and action-packed!! It would be soooo coll If we had a live chat with Jaden Smith!! The original movie was really funny too!

2. summerpepperoni

The karate kid movie is absolutely cool! I’ve watched it. I love the karate movements that Jackie Chan did!!! I hope that I could meet him and seeing him doing that in front of me.

3. Emma

It said it would be scary to move to a new school halfway across the world…well, i’ve done it! i moved from Arizona to Norway when I was 5.

4. Nat

I wanna watch this movie! I can’t wait till it comes out! And I really like the song that Jaden sang with Justin Bieber!

5. PeanutMagnolia

I would Love to meet Jaden Smith in person! It would be really cool because in the previews I have seen I just love his dance moves and I think he himself is just awesome. And all the training he has to do learning all the moves to jump over walls and to learn to fight for himself so he can stand up for himself and stop getting bullied!
    PeanutMagnolia

6. PeanutMagnolia

I think The Karate Kid with Jaden Smith is going to be AWESOME because I have seen the previews and yes, I have seen the original Karate Kid movies! My favorite Karate Kid of the series of them… (well i actually have 2). The one with Julie when her grandmother goes away on vacation and leaves her with actor Pat Morada…. (not sure if that’s how you spell it or not but anyway) and the one with actor Pat Morada and the boy who falls for the girl in China and her grandmother falls for Pat Morada!!!
    PeanutMagnolia

7. JustinBieberGirl1

Jaden smith is so cute i quess he might want to be an actor when he grows up just like his dad Will Smith!!!LOL, cant wait to see the movie.

8. werewolf409

that is so sad that he likes the twilight series and recommended them i hate those book theyre the worst

9. nemobabe123

I was gonna go c karte kid last night but I went to my lil bros karate class instead but I gess it wasnt dat bad (-;

10. chooichie

Such a Girl.
    I can’t believe I have turned into such a girl. Especially over a boy that is like thousands of miles away. My friend Cam thinks it’s great, but I think she only thinks that because in her eyes she can justify us coming from the same gene pool this way. At least I haven’t started wearing frilly clothes and pink eyeshadow…that would be taking it just a little too far. Although, he can’t actually see me so maybe that’s why my style remains the same. Ugh, just the thought of changing myself for a boy makes me sick…but I guess maybe that’s why I like Cade. He never asked me to change. I’m pretty sure that my mom put him in my world for a reason. Otherwise why is he still sort of around???

11. Emma

Haha, my brother summarized the whole movie for us just by seeing the commercials, ROFTL. It was soooo funny! =P

12. Wolfsong11

its not PG 13 its PG says it right at this message thing anyway it seems like a good movie and i want to see it