June 18, 2010

Debby Ryan Gets 16 Wishes

Posted by at 8:47 am in Celebrities | Permalink

Dryan_130Debby Ryan Gets 16 Wishes

Wouldn’t it be amazing to have all your wishes come true? Well in the new Disney movie 16 Wishes, starring Debby Ryan from Suite Life on Deck, that is exactly what happens for her character Abby. . . but it doesn’t turn out the way she hoped!

Abby has been planning for her Sweet 16th birthday ever since she was a little girl. When the big day finally arrives, she excitedly adds her sixteenth and final wish to the secret wish list she’s been keeping. Then begins the first of many unusual occurrences that day each including visits from a peculiar woman, Celeste, who first appears to deliver a mysterious box of 16 birthday candles.Her birthday gets a whole lot brighter when Abby realizes that the candles correspond to her 16 wishes and that they’re each coming true — she lands the attention of her crush, she gets back at her lifelong nemesis Krista Cook and is suddenly fashionable, athletic, and popular. But when one wish goes horribly awry, it changes everything, even her relationship with best friend Jay, leading Abby to finally understand that being a kid isn’t so bad.

Here is Debby herself talking about the movie, her advice for surviving 8th grade, and an embarrassing 4th of July accident.

Q: Did you get anything cool for your birthday?
Debby:
I did. Ever since I got my DSLR, my digital camera, I’ve wanted a fisheye lens for it because I’m really big into taking pictures with symmetry and a fisheye lends kind of bends that a little bit and makes them symmetrical. I got that from my parents, which was huge because I didn’t think we were going to be able to afford it this year.

16candles Q: Tell us about 16 Wishes.
Debby:
It was my first starring role, which was surreal. It’s funny, kind of, when people are holding umbrellas over your head. I was like, “I have hands, I can do that.” My character, Abby, it’s her long-awaited 16th birthday. She has these 16 wishes, a wish list that she wants. It all takes place in one day, which was amazing to film over six weeks. On her birthday, her birthday fairy shows up and gives her these magic candles that correspond to the wishes on her list. So essentially she has the power to make all her wishes come true. And as she does that she grows and she learns. Everything goes great and then she makes one wish that kind of is taken out of context and she has to fight to get her old life back. She realizes that everything that gets taken away is not. . .

Q: Kind of like you don’t know what you got till it’s gone?
Debby:
Exactly. And what’s cool about it too, as I was looking at it, it has a lot of different themes — be careful what you wish for, and then, she really wants to grow up too quickly, and she learns that that’s something you can’t really get back.

Q: Is there a love interest?
Debby:
There is. Jean Luc Bilodeau from Kyle XY plays Abby’s best friend, Jay, which was awesome because I was such a big fan of Kyle XY. Hearing the dish on that was great, and working with him, he’s such a sweetheart. So he’s actually Abby’s best friend in the movie and we’ll see through the movie how. . .

Q: We all know where that’s going. . .
Debby:
Of course.

Q: Where would you wish it would go?
Debby:
It’s funny because as I’m looking at it, Abby kind of learns a lesson through the film but before she learns that lesson she really doesn’t deserve Jay. She kind of takes him for granted to be honest. But then afterward she doesn’t, and she realizes how special and amazing he is to her and for her.

Q: How do you find the leap to something different?
Debby:
 At the end of the day, it depends on the script. You can do a comedy and it’s completely different than a different comedy. I watch a lot of movies. 16 Wishes, when I went up to do that I watched Sixteen Candles (rated PG) and a couple of coming-of-age films. I love Molly Ringwald.

Q: In school did you ever deal with bullies?
Debby:
A lot. As I grew up, I had a lot of different. . .I was a cheerleader, I was a gymnast in competitive gym, I was also a mascot, chess club, so many things. And in 7th grade I was like the emo kid. I dressed in all black and had my rock ‘n’ roll friends and got made fun of for hanging out with certain people like that and also made fun of by the cheer captain for being the mascot, anything. We weren’t super well-off so I shopped at Wal-Mart and got made fun of for wearing Wal-Mart clothes. By the way I still have tank tops from Wal-Mart that I got in like 7th grade that I wear on red carpets. “Oh my God, that’s so cute!”

Q: Memorable first day of school?
Debby:
I remember walking into school on my first day of freshman year, no it was 8th grade, and I remember being so out of my element because it was the first day of school. There was a girl who, it seemed like it was her classroom. She was so laid back and super-friendly to everyone. And I’m like, “Why can’t that be me?” We’re all in the same boat as far as not knowing what to expect.

Q: Did you become friends with her?
Debby:
Yeah, we became friends and hung out. I remember she was going through kind of a crazy problem and I was really helping her through that and by the end of the day we were chill friends. But I remember realizing that being the popular one, the confident one has nothing to do with upper hand. It has to do with the way you approach it. So that was super memorable to know that and it still helps me now. That was my 8th grade year.

Q: Any summertime embarrassment story?
Debby:
The 4th of July I went to Disneyland with my friend. We were like the last people there in the parking garage. I tripped up the down escalator, I’m so clumsy it’s tragic, and long story short, we tried to find. . . we ended up in three different emergency rooms. One of them I remember was just disgusting. I was bleeding from the knee. It was gashed open and my best friend faints at the sight of blood so she’s trying to help me and we have like a Kleenex and a sock in the car and we’re trying to find an emergency room. The best part, I’m laying there and they stitched it and we’re good to go, and my best friend comes in and she’s ghost white, and I look over and she’s hooked up to an IV. The best part was me sitting there with stitches doing better than my best friend who’s about to pass out.

Interview by Gerri Miller
Photos courtesy Disney Channel

1. gameboard5

deeby ryan u are the best player for all Disney shows and I like the movie it amazing I want to imange myself battling with Kristi cook

2. chassydi

when i am 16wish. 1. are to be popler. 2.to have the cutest clothers in the world. 3. to have car as a charger. 4. to be wonderwomen.5. to have anything i want. but i only have 5 wish

3. pebbles

were can you go and get the 16 magic candles???please awnser if u know i need them cuz i want my party and day to be just like abbys in the movie!?.

4. LADiva01

I saw the movie and I loved it!If i had one wish candle it would be to live chat and to meet Debby Ryan!

5. Ge'yianna L!!

OMG I’VEE SEEN IT, IT’ZZ REALLY GOOD IT THIS MAY MAKE IT SOUND KIND OF BORING BUT ITSS ACUATLYY HAVE A GOOD MEANING TO IT THOUGH BUT BESIDES THAT ITSS REALLY GOOD…………16 WISHES ILIKE IT!! =]

6. da'baddesst

whatching 16 wishes mad me want the best birthday party ever.The wish i like was:HAVING THE COOLIEST CLOTHES IN SCHOOL.I LOVE 16 WISHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I REALLY LIKE 16 WISHES BEACAUSE U CAN WISH FOR WHAT EVER U WANT.LIKE:A CAR,BEING TREATED LIKE AN ADULT,P.S.:I GET WHAT U WERE SAYING.LIKE HOW WHAT’S HER FACE HAD A GROON-UP PARTY LIKE SHE HAD TO BEAT U AT EVER THING U WENT FOR BUT BEING TREAT LIKE AN ADULT WAS DA’BADDESST WISH U EVER MADE, EATING SUSHI UGH.INPULS SUSHI IS VERY NASTY I WOULD NOT HAVE EVER PUT THAT ON MY’16 WISHES LIST’ EVER,ON MY LIST THESE ARE WHAT MY WISHES WOULD HAVE BEEN:1:CUTIEST CLOTHES.2:I WILL BET N AT EVERTHIG.3:DEWOULD BE MY BOYFRIEND.

7. Jesse

I luv that movie i wish i had started my 16 wishes earlier than i would know what i would want when I was 8

8. surfingrules

awesome i like it soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!

9. SmileMonkey

Think obvious. It was a good movie, for Disney hearters, but I don’t have anything against Disney!

10. kenzie

wish # 1: my family and friends stay healthy all our lives
    wish # 2: famous people stop being so selfish and do their part to give to all major charities
    wish # 3: I play college softball
    Wish # 4: im the best dressed girl in school
    Wish # 5: for my 16th bithday i recieve a convertible car wish #6 i never have to do homework again whish # 7: i visit Nassau wish#8 there isnt so much drama in life wish # 9: i find my true soulmate wish # 10, i wish i could bring my great gma back to earth for a day so my mom could start healing. wish # 11 i could eat whatever i want without gittin fat wish # 12- me and my friends stay close for life wish # 13- i have three daughters, and we are more fourtanate and live in a beautiful home wish # 14: I see a tornado without gittin hurt, wish # 15- i could travel the world, wish # 16, make my parents comfortable their entire lives becuz theyre so amazinn.

11. Taial

hey the movie already came out so i don’t no wat u guys talkin bout.so i am looking for those magic candles cuz she really inspired me to do alll those stuff and i watched the movie twice and i was the bomb!

12. Choko

I saw half the movie because, I had to help my dad build a fence. But I know what happens. I think it good and okay.

13. cooolcutiepie2000

I can’t wait to see it!!! I just 4got that is was 2nite I hope I can make it!! If not I will record it cuz Debby Ryan is my fav actor on Suite Lifw on deck!!1

14. krystalkobra

i can not wait to see 16 wishes. me and my friend,maryssa, were talking about it on the phone yesterday.

15. ashlee c13

HEY OMG DEBBY I CANT WAIT 4 YOUR YOUR MOVIE ON FRIDAY IM SO EXSIDED IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS GOING 2 BE SO COOL LV U IM A HUG FAN OMG UR SO LUCKY U GET 2 BE ON THE SWEAT LIFE ON DECK AND KNOW 16 WISHES I CANT WAIT LV U BYE BYE <3 AHSLEE

16. graciein01

I want to see it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo BADDDDDDDDDDDDDD it looks so cool!

17. icecutiesweetie16

i cant wait to see the movie this friday june 25 , 2010 i think it’s going to be incredible.

18. cutie509

1.i wish 2 go 2 new york tis summer. 2.i wish my boyfriend would call me. 3.i wish i didin’t have 2 wear uniform next year. 4i wish i could b a lawyer. 5 i wish i could stop baby-sitting.6.i wish 2 have better clothes than anybody 4 da rest of my life.7i wish i could have dis 1oo,ooo,ooo,ooo,ooo,ooo,oo,ooo,ooo,ooo,ooo,ooo,ooo,oo,o.8.i will married my boyfriend and hAve one big happy family

19. stargrl22

I’m so excited about this movie! I can’t wait till it finally comes out. It looks like a good movie!

20. queenamerica1

i cant wait till this friday bcuz the movie comes out that day and it looks very cool and i really REALLY want 2 see it !!:)

21. xvc

that relly stinks when you turn 16 that you get what you whan’t but it does’nt turn out the way you plan!!!!!!!!;)

22. Skittles And M'Ms

Cont. I Realized I Wished For One Too Many So #10 Is Supposed To Be “I Wish For One More Wish!!

23. Skittles And M'Ms

Wish #1…I Will Marry My Boyfriend
    #2…I WIll MEet Justin Bieber B4 I Turn 15
    #3…I WIll Get MY Own Puppy In 2 Years
    #4…I WIll Grow Up To Be A Veterinarian
    #5…I WIll Have THE Coolest Clothes In School For The Rest Of My School Years
    #6…I Will Be Famous For SOme Portion Of My Life
    #7…My Family Win WIn THe Lottery For Over $1,000,000,000,000!!!! [One Trillion]
    #8…I Will Become AN Amazing Singer
    #9…I Will Own More Than 20 Dogs IN My Life Time [If U Check My Profile, U Will See My Fave ANimal Is Dogs!!!]
    #…Boyfriend And I Will Will Never Divorce And Have Plenty Of Children
    #10…My Bestie And I Will Stay Besties Until Death Do Us Part, And CONTINUE TO Stay Besties In Heaven!!
    #11…I Will Get Staright A’s And High B’s On All My Report Cards
    #12…I I Will Become A Big Sister Some Day Soon!!!
    #13…I Wish To Reach My Goal Of Owning Over 15 Pets At One Time! Ima Animal Person!!!!
    #14…I Will Major In Animals In College
    #15…I Will Be The Opening Act For Justin Bieber One Day!!!!
    #16…I WIsh my Camp Will Be Better Ever Summer I Go There!!!!
    Thank You!! :]]]]]

24. remembermynameisfame

i can’t wait to see this movie it souds so cool and funny!!!!!!!!! i also can’t wait to see toy story three. i already saw the prince of persia. it was really goodbut would have been better in 3-d!!!!
    peace love joy be happy and REMEMBER MY NAME IS FAME!
    bye!

25. aajaa88

whwn is 16wishes gonna come on disney channel.oh and by the way your my favorite Suite life on deck character.

26. Sup Y'all

i missed it and im so sad:(. i wish i cood meet u! i luv disney movies soooooooooooo much. :) + ;) + * = :> ;>

27. PunkPrincess_99

I wanna see it soooooooooooooo bad, im glad its gonna be on disney before i leave to my grandma’s house in England cause she doesn’t have disney…

28. S

never heard about this movie till now because im in nz does not get told early but i sooo gonna search it up . I AM SO DESPRATE I REALLY WANNA WATCH THIS MOVIE BUT COME ON 3 COMMENTS GO ON LINE :O :)

29. Muruga

I want to have a happy birthday .Did you have a fun day . Whan you go to suite life can say hi to me ! good bye

30. PeanutMagnolia

The previews have been AWESOME! I really want to see the movie! I can’t wait until June 25th!June 25th is not too long away but I still can’t wait!

31. Angelica

I’d love to se this; it sounds really cool. Unfortunately, I’m opening a show on June 25 at 8:00 (how weird is that?) but I’ll be sure to see it sometime!