April 19, 2010

Writing Prompt! If the Walls Could Talk

Posted by at 5:12 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

Rainbow_pen

I’ve been thinking a lot about space lately. Not outer space (though, truth be told, I do think about outer space a lot. . . like how much I love the stars, and what it would be like to live on the moon!), but space in general: the four walls around me at any given time, and how different rooms can inspire different feelings, depending on their color or alignment or what’s nailed to them, or how many windows there are.

For today’s writing prompt, think about the space you’re sitting in right now. What’s hanging on the walls? How are the chairs, desks or couches set up? Are you near a window? Is there sunlight streaming in, or are raindrops knocking on the windowpane?

Now here’s the twist, Splotters! Write a paragraph from the perspective of something in the space around you, addressed to YOU. If you choose the pillow you’re leaning against, for example, write about how the pillow must feel when someone (ie, you!) is all squished up on it. Is it honored that you chose to use it? Is it grateful that it’s offering you some comfort? Or is it secretly laughing at you because your breath smells?

I’m sitting in my office at Scholastic right now, and I’m choosing to write from the perspective of the carpet under my boots. I spill so much on this carpet, I’m sure I can imagine some pretty choice words it would say to me if it could talk. . .

Leave your writing prompt in the Comments!

Morgan, Scholastic Staffer

1. WinterBallerina

I am sitting in a chair in a library and I think that a chair would be grateful for someone sitting in them. After all weren’t they made to give comfort? And I would also think the ground would appriciate being walked on because how would we get any where? I think that most inanimate objects are there to help humans and other living creatures that God created.

2. arw8929

My shoes are saying, ” Hey! Lady up there!” Why in the world are you steppigall over me! Do i look like some kind of standing thing? Yeah, Yeah, I am shoes and have to let you stand on me, but why all the time!?!? I had a lot more freedom before you came to Target and bought me.”

3. Kianna

If the chair im sitting on could speak, and actaully feel things then i would feel sorry for it because of all the people that just cme and sit then leave it’s rude and beyond uncontrolable. If most likely wouldn’t be able to breathe!

4. Caity

If the hallway wall at home could talk, I bet it wouldn’t. I mean, for an artsy girl like me, my wall is boring. The one in my room is soo much better. But I still don’t know what it would say. Maybe it’d say, “Hey, Caity! Put a little more stuff on me, would ya?” in a sarcatic tone. LOL

5. 5108vanillacookie

If my computer could talk, it would say this:
    Aw, man! Let me sleep; I didn’t get to sleep well after being set up for hours! Why are you working me so hard? Ugh! Ugh!

6. kaela

well if my bed could talk it would probably say… how come she has so many posters of justin bieber? why is tv always sleeping when im always getting squished with this girl on me every night. these other room accsories like the dresser and bookshelf have it easy, but i guess im honored and annoyed that she uses me most! :)

7. Alyssa

Perspective of my panda bear. I’m sitting here on this thing I think it might be a bed? If that is what they call it! That girl keeps on looking at me! Is my fur not fluffed? She is hitting things on the flippy device over there, wait that’s a phone! My bad! Is that a string on my head!? Get it off! Hmmmm why is there a wait that’s a fan was about to say a swirly thing! But it’s a fan! Uh oh i’m getting dizzy! Oh no! Please don’t fall over please don’t! I’m fine…I think I might Faint!

8. Ms.Nerdster

If my computer could talk it probably be saying, “Gosh, she doesnt get on much but why, whenever she does it’s for hours? She says she’s just gona do hw and end up finishing in 2 min then on the web. Grrr. But I do got to say it tickles when she pushes my butons.” hehe

9. 32mintchocchip

My bed would say, OH MY GOSH! STOP SITTING ON ME WHEN THERE’S A PERFECTLY GOOD CHAIR RIGHT OVER THERE!and then my chair would say something along the lines of,OH NO YOU DON’T!I’M STILL WRITHING IN AGONY FROM THE LAST TIME SHE SAT ON ME!and then the bed would step in again with something like this,WELL SHE CAN’T VERY WELL GO SIT ON A TABLE!!!!my table would reply,WHY NOT?!I NEVER GET TO HAVE ANY FUN!!!SHE JUST THROWS THINGS ON ME ALL DAY LONG!!!!and so on.