April 19, 2010

Writing Prompt! If the Walls Could Talk

Posted by at 5:12 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

Rainbow_pen

I’ve been thinking a lot about space lately. Not outer space (though, truth be told, I do think about outer space a lot. . . like how much I love the stars, and what it would be like to live on the moon!), but space in general: the four walls around me at any given time, and how different rooms can inspire different feelings, depending on their color or alignment or what’s nailed to them, or how many windows there are.

For today’s writing prompt, think about the space you’re sitting in right now. What’s hanging on the walls? How are the chairs, desks or couches set up? Are you near a window? Is there sunlight streaming in, or are raindrops knocking on the windowpane?

Now here’s the twist, Splotters! Write a paragraph from the perspective of something in the space around you, addressed to YOU. If you choose the pillow you’re leaning against, for example, write about how the pillow must feel when someone (ie, you!) is all squished up on it. Is it honored that you chose to use it? Is it grateful that it’s offering you some comfort? Or is it secretly laughing at you because your breath smells?

I’m sitting in my office at Scholastic right now, and I’m choosing to write from the perspective of the carpet under my boots. I spill so much on this carpet, I’m sure I can imagine some pretty choice words it would say to me if it could talk. . .

Leave your writing prompt in the Comments!

Morgan, Scholastic Staffer

1. pebblesfruity

this is really good .. its true .. if u believe this that i am saying comment this..hmm the possibilities

2. .ac.

If my keyboard could talk..It would have told me to: “Stop speeding up! Don’t you know, you’re causing me too much strain? Arr..Let’s try to trade places and you’ll see how much I’m getting hurt..” Ha ha isn’t it right?

3. Pink

The walls are multicolored stripes runnning across the wall. There is books, unfinished stories (by me) and a painting anywhere you can cram them. I can just see them, yelling my name, “Pink! Pink!” They’d say “finish us!” But i ignore them and write down the NEW ideas in my brain

4. Maddie

I am sitting on a chair eating Chinese. Whoops! I just spilled egg drop soup all over the chair and my jeans. What does this mean???
    He would probably say:
    Aww come on! You just spilled soup all over my leather! It was just washed and disinfected yesterday! Now my locks need to be cleaned all over again! (he must be such a drama queen)

5. Charmfairy

My room (the walls and ESP. the floor) would probably be groaning “Pick up this stuff, you lazy MUDBLOOD! Yeah! I know I use ‘Potter’ terms against you! What’s it to ya! And you better put that gum in the trash!” Or maybe it enjoys the stuff all over because it keeps it warm. Hmm, the possibilities….

6. imaginarytodd

my laptop says: “Gosh.. Stop typing! It tickles! Being on this red, fluffy bed ain’t a ride either… I miss those old days when you were in a box, relaxing, hearing the people rush throughout the store. At one point, you got tiredof being in dark and I can still remember the excitment when a light shone in the box… But now, I wish I was back.. Just stop typing! ACHOO! Oh no.. I cought a virus! My screen is turning black! My hradrdive is rnunnig low.. OFF”

7. AwesomeDragon

If my bookshelf could talk…
    Today I got wind of the fact that my owner is buying 9 new books!! Are you serious!! I already have books overflowing me!!! I am going crazy!! Why couldn’t I have been made into a table!!??
    That is what my bookshelf would say.

8. Amanda

Hey!!! I LOVE this post. It my textbooks could talk, they’d say “STOP OPENING ME ALL THE TIME. YOU WEARING ME OUT!”

9. brandy

If my couputer could talk it would say use me i have not been used sine yesterday and i woudl say to bad i going to play out side to see you latter

10. rickriordanfan

My walls would tell me that they want me to break out. Do something BIG. Like finally kick off my music career. I’m working at it. Recording and writing songs. It’s a lot of work, but I truely love it! My walls would tell me that I just need to give it 50% more. Be more daring do something else to get me OUT THERE. Maybe I should listen to my walls. They’re making more sense than my parents do sometimes. :) lol.

11. Emmyluwho

My couch says: “Okay, I know it was my destiny to be sat on and to feel squished and wrinkled, but could there be a different life for me? Oh, the pull out couch has so much more fun-it get’s to be a bed! So, Emmy, what do ya think? We can make a deal-if you go use all your ability to make me awesome, i’ll let you spill juice on me!!!”

12. Prispan

I’m sitting on a hard wooden chair at the library in florida i can’t picture what it’s thinking with my bottom squished on it but I can tell you on thing it’s very UNCOMFORTABLE!

13. stuffedmudkiptoy

if my keyboard could talk…
    greasy bacon hand push all over my body. You talk about “don’t push me ’cause i’m close to the edge.” but if that applied to me then i would have died a long time ago. My sister lays by my side, she always tries to punch in cheese but i don’t let her. It’s a hard life but someone’s got to do it!

14. audi

I’ve been thinking about saving animals from disasters.You know if you think about it you could actualy save alot of animals that have been in alot of danger or that have been through animal cruilty.I’ve always dreamnt about giving animals a second chance and i think that should be now.If you love animals and want to give them a second chance well heres your chance please im begging you help these animals in danger that would be great.

15. KKCOOlCORNER

If my Clique Books could talk right now they would say Stop being utterly obcessed with me and be a normal kid and watch TV!!! Except thats im-possible as massie would say it these books are ah-mazing.

16. sarah

i totally feel you man!that is what happens to me all the time!we are so perfect for each other!we have everything in common!TOTALLY!!!!!!!

17. Josephine

If my backpack could speak it would say this, “Oh Jo, when will you learn to buy BIG backpacks when you want to cram A LOT of books in it? I’ve just heard you wishing that you could just swallow your books to memorize them and just get over with it. I’ve already done that and it ain’t no picnic! What to switch places? You would eat ALL of you’re books at once…”