April 12, 2010

Undiscovered Books

Posted by at 9:18 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

Writingprompt_book Anyone who knows me, knows that I am obsessed with books and I would be perfectly happy forever if I didn't have to do anything but read all day long. I have a feeling some of you are like me too, so today's Writing Prompt has to do with books.

You know how some books are super crazy popular even though they are sort of, um. . . how do I say this nicely? . . . not really good? And then some books are super awesomely amazing and it seems like nobody has ever heard of them! I think it is one of the great unsolved mysteries of bookdom. So my question to you today is —

What is the best book you have ever read that no one ever heard of? What is that incredulicious book that you think should be the most popular book in the world, but for some strange reason, it isn't?

Tell us your favorite undiscovered books in the Comments, and maybe we will all discover them and build a tidal wave of popularity around them here on the STACKS!

1. gylfie97

i think i read too many unknown books…
    Alcatraz versus the evil librarians
    the secret series
    the vladimir tod books
    NOT TWILIGHT
    (I’m on team Percy Jackson, by the way)

2. anaghak

Hi folks!
    First of all, I love the classics, and I couldn’t believe some of my twilight lovin’ friends have not even heard of the Little Women books! they are so good, and are popular in the classic category, oh so good books! But I am sure a fan of Twilight harry potter Percy jackson, etc. I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES!!!! O MY GOODNESS THAT IS AWESOME!!!
    Oh, everyone has heard of twilight and harry potter, and i am sure sick of twilight’s fame. come on, guys, what’s great about it?? yes, it is very good as a book, and the movies are okay, but why? because of taylor lautner? rob pattinson? really, guys, i like the books, not the fad. The hunger games is just perfect though, and i loved it when i went on google books, and the hunger games was rated higher than twilight!!!

3. soontobewriter

Almost nobody has heard of the Canterwood Crest series by Jessica Burkhart.It is entertaining and I recommend it to girls who love drama.Also I don’t really get why most people like Diary of a Wimpy Kid.It is mostly meant for boys but i respect the girls who like it.

4. Katniss/Thalia/Zoey/Max

I think the Gifted series by Marilyn Kaye deserves to be more well-known!It’s realistic fiction with a slight twist.That twist will make you want to read it!The books are called Out of Sight,Out of Mind,Better Late Than Never,Here Today,Gone Tomorrow,and Finders Keepers.Another great series is the Kingdom Keepers series by Ridley Pearson.They’re about magic and Disney World.The books are Disney After Dark,Disney at Dawn,and Disney in Shadows.I bet there’s a lot more books,but I don’t remember them now.Anyway,read those!

5. yellowball

one of my most favorite books of all time is…. Larklight and no one in the world has like ever read it. It drives me insane. Deep down popular is another one of my all time favorites and again no one ever bothers to read it. so saddening.

6. Bailey Pickett

I think the best book I’ve read was called Junie B. Jones.lol Because im not a fan of reading at all . !!!

7. BEcrazy

Brair Rose is a great book that a lot of people I know have never heard of. It’s a “sleeping beauty” story with a WWII twist. The main character tries to trace the history of her grandmother, who told her many stories about a girl named “Brair Rose”. The main character ends up in Poland….you’ll have to read it to find out anything else. :D

8. mikayla

The books i think should be popular are:
    1. The city of ember
    2.101 ways to bug your parents
    3. The giver by lois lowry

9. fallbookgirl

I think the most popular book in my school should at least be The Hunger Games. Everyone loves Twilight but it odes not hold a flame next to The Hunger Games. Also The Book of Story Beginnings, The Girl Who Threw Butterflies, and the Young Wizards Series are soem of the best books I have ever read that no one has really read.

10. scott

Please have a look at the book “Dragons of Asgard,” found at all online bookstores. (internet only).
    When a high school boy leave his window open while sleeping, little did he know his scent was luring a tiny hand size dragon into his bedroom. The boy is suffering from MS, and has lost the use of his legs, but the tiny dragon insists that the boy is dragon, eventually gaining the use of his legs back.
    Characters=
    1. West =high school boy with MS
    2. Bruce= West’s best friend
    3. Michelle= West’s other friend
    4. Ral=dragon oracle & leader of Asgard, has the power to make anyone fly.
    5. Ort=has the power to copy himself multiple times to confuse enemies.
    6. Tal=blue dragon with power of ice.

11. EverTrue

haha, well there’s the “Vampire Kisses” series, which not too many people know about….oh! and “Dead is the New Black”, also a series. an “Never Slow Dance with a Zombie:

12. Threedozen

Well I loved Ink Heart it was very intresting and some parts made me want to cry…. It is just as good as the movie.

13. prin87

Well, for me, the best book I’ve ever read would have to be The Three Musketeers. It has the best writing I’ve ever read. It has such a good storyline, and such good value. It’s amazing how no one has ever heard of a great classic, but has heard about a bad book about sparkling vampires

14. FantasyReader07

Well, there’s:
    The Giver
    The Fire Within and series
    Inkheart series (And I think it is amazing in any language!!!)
    Fablehaven series
    Evangeline Mudd books
    Artemis Fowl series
    Oliver Twist
    Messenger
    Cat’s Cradle
    Tales of Beedle the Bard
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
    Lord of the Rings series
    and I’m sure there’s more but I can’t remember all my years of reading. They’re all really really good, or most of them, and it’s so amazing that most people that I know have never heard of these books. It’s just incredible. I feel that it’s from lack of exposure and forcefullness of those around them to read to a satisfactory requirement.
    You see, most of my friends would not be able to understand a word of that sentence. What is the youth of this world coming to?

15. Serein

Nobody seems to have heard of Airborn or its sequels, Skybreaker and Starclimber. They’re amazing, and definatly deserve more attention. Anyone with no new books handy, go find them!
    Also, Abarat is incredible, too, and no one knows about that, either. It’s quite sad.

16. pstep

I like to read,I just don’t do it much.My favorite books are junie b.jones, and diary of a wimpy kid.I think there AWSOME!!!

17. toylollipop

Hmmm…I bet there are a lot that I’ve read out there, but
    1. I can’t keep track of them, and
    2. I guess I just forget ’cause they aren’t that popular! :(
    Anyway, I’ll try to think of some now…
    Ahhh!
    12 Finally
    by ???
    (I JUST read it, I got it from the Scholastic Book Fair at school!!!)
    Oh well, it always takes me awhile when there is a good question like this. *sigh* I’ll probably be back later with more books…:)

18. vidhi98

i cant believe no one has ever heard of the little secrets series. even though its a teen book its really good. it has a lot of drama, romance, and mysteries. its a series you wouldn’t want to stop reading

19. catching_fire

Definetly Graceling by Kristen Cashore. It’s like… well, it’s like… hmm… okay, get this. There’s a land with seven kingdoms. Simple enough. And in this land, there are those blessed with the ability to preform a particular skill or trade better than anybody else. They are said to be Graced with their skill. Everybody in the land avoids the Graced, who always have eyes with diffrent colored irises.
    It’s really good, and nobody’s ever heard of it.