April 28, 2010

11 Birthdays, and now Finally

Posted by at 8:20 am in Reads | Permalink

Finally Hello and welcome to Scholastic Booktalks where we recommend brand new Scholastic books that we think you will love. This week's booktalk: Finally by Wendy Mass. (It's the sequel to 11 Birthdays, but you don't have to read that one first to understand this book.)

Rory Swenson is just a few days away from turning 12 years old. This is a huge moment in her life. Ever since Rory can remember, whenever she asked for something, her parents told her it would happen “when you turn 12.” And every time they told her this, Rory wrote it down. And now it’s almost time for her to check every item off her list!

Just when Rory's life couldn't get any better, she discovers that a movie is going to be filmed at her school! And guess who stars in the movie? Jake Harrison, the hottest 14-year-old boy alive. When Rory and her best friends Annabelle and Natalie discover that extras are needed for the movie, they put together a plan of action so they will be cast!

As part of the plan, Rory needs to get movie-star ready. She needs to shave her legs, learn how to put on make-up, get her ears pierced and get contact lenses to replace her glasses, all things on her list. Sounds easy enough, right? Rory sure thinks so. There is no possible way anything can go wrong and get between her and Jake Harrison.

But sometimes, life takes little twists and turns and things don't turn out as planned. Will Rory be able to complete her list when she turns 12?

Read Finally by Wendy Mass.

— Jen, Scholastic Booktalker

1. Savyb

Someone I know read 11 birthdays and they told me to read it. So if I like 11 b days then I could read 12 b days!! There is another nook it’s a series one of it is eleven the 2 nd book is twelve then thirteen but it’s sbout this girls b day and how she develops u know girl stuff

2. Peacegrlz101

AWESOME!!! @ my school’s book fair we had that book. I didn’t get it but a bunch of my friends did and I REALLY want 2 read it!

3. Vampirebites

That sounds like a good book . I now at i’m a little bit older but it still dose sound like a good book!

4. Lori

I read 11 birthdays and I loved it! It kinda freaked me out how time just stopped, though! I can’t wait to read Finally, I’m sure it’ll be great. Wendy Mass is a fantastic author!!!!

5. Jenny2145

i read “Finally” and it was my favorite book of all times. it was so intersting. The thing that i like most about the book, is that it is different then all of other books i read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. sleepybun

ehhh, i saw that at my book fair and it looked a little cheesy. it makes more sense that her parents say till shes 12. i thought it was like a “oh, when im 12 im going to do this and that becauase i say you cant be younger than 12 to get a cell phone!” (thats how my cousin acts)
    i might get it from my library.

7. Janessa

I cabt wait to read that book beacuse all those things that she gets to do when she is 12 is going to happen when im 12! But i already have my ears peased and i am going to asck if i can get doble for my birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Hailey

this looks like such a great book and a lot of people commented about how awsome it was so i cant wait i want to read it so bad just cant wait and also im turning twelve soon so its awsome

9. s.snape2000

Ive read 11 Birthdays AND Finally!Got them at the book fair at my school:)They were awesome!Alot of Rory’s problems are ones that other 12 year old girls can relate to.

10. alyssa

I AM TWELVE AND IT IS SO COOL AND YOU KNOW I FEEL ALOT MORE OLDER THAN 11 SO I DIDNT HAVE A BIRTHDAY PARTY I JUST WENT OUT TO DINNER…