April 28, 2010

11 Birthdays, and now Finally

Posted by at 8:20 am in Reads | Permalink

Finally Hello and welcome to Scholastic Booktalks where we recommend brand new Scholastic books that we think you will love. This week's booktalk: Finally by Wendy Mass. (It's the sequel to 11 Birthdays, but you don't have to read that one first to understand this book.)

Rory Swenson is just a few days away from turning 12 years old. This is a huge moment in her life. Ever since Rory can remember, whenever she asked for something, her parents told her it would happen “when you turn 12.” And every time they told her this, Rory wrote it down. And now it’s almost time for her to check every item off her list!

Just when Rory's life couldn't get any better, she discovers that a movie is going to be filmed at her school! And guess who stars in the movie? Jake Harrison, the hottest 14-year-old boy alive. When Rory and her best friends Annabelle and Natalie discover that extras are needed for the movie, they put together a plan of action so they will be cast!

As part of the plan, Rory needs to get movie-star ready. She needs to shave her legs, learn how to put on make-up, get her ears pierced and get contact lenses to replace her glasses, all things on her list. Sounds easy enough, right? Rory sure thinks so. There is no possible way anything can go wrong and get between her and Jake Harrison.

But sometimes, life takes little twists and turns and things don't turn out as planned. Will Rory be able to complete her list when she turns 12?

Read Finally by Wendy Mass.

— Jen, Scholastic Booktalker

1. BLACKBAT34

IHAD BOTH FINALLY AND 11 BIRTHDAYS ON MY BOOK LIST WHEN I FOUND THEM BOTH AT THE SAME TIME I WAS HAPPY. I DECIDED TO READ FINALLY FIRST. THAT BOOK IS REALLY GOOD I WISH THERE WAS A THIRD BOOK TO THOSE 2 BOOKS. WHEN I START READING 11 BIRTHDAYS I’M GLAD THAT I CAN FINALLY FIND OUT THEIR SECRET… I WAS SHOCKED BUT PLEASED WHEN I FOUND OUT THE TRUTH. WOW THAT BOOK WAS AMAZING BETTER THAN FINALLY! I’m CONVINCING ALL OF MY FRIENDS THAT THEY SHOULD READ THOSE BOOKS
    SOMETHING SO FUNNY IS THAT I KIND OF HAD THE SAME IDEA AS WENDY MASS WHEN SHE WROTE FINALLY I WAS ACTUALLY PLANNING A BOOK LIKE THAT I’M GLAD THAT WENDY MASS GAVE ME VERY GOOD IDEAS FOR MY BOOKS I WANNA WRITE WHEN I GROW UP AND THE BOOK FINALLY AND 11 BIRTHDAYS

2. Kristen

Oh gosh I really want to read this. I’m a older kid and I still love books and movie’s like this.My 12th birthday was the one one I remember the lost about, I did everything the girl in the book did and that was before I even read this!!! Te author really knows how a 12 year old thinks, that and several other reasons are what make this book so fun and charming as her other ones to read. I completley love these books and always will.

3. Tiffany

I read 11 birthdays and it was awesome!! It’s my favorite book and I love it!!!! I want to read finally.

4. holla

omg this is terrible where is leo and amanda there not even in this book it is so stupid u need to read eleven b-days i hate this book there is nothing about leo and amanda!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. ashleigh

this book looks awesome! looking forward to reading it after seeing how wonderful 11 birthdays was. now if only i had that book… haha
    -confessions of a wendy mass fanatic

6. Kayli J

I got this book from my school’s book fair. I’m 12 so it looked like a book I can relate too but I haven’t read 11 Birthdays yet witch I will!! But This book was AMAZING!! I love it and can read it over and over!! I defiantly recommended it and I LOVE IT!! <3 :D

7. Super Ponage Soccer Star

Sounds like a really good book. Can’t wait to read it. Not too long till my 12th birthday so I’ll really be able to relate to a lot of the stuff in there. :)

8. rosey

if i find the book i guess i’ll give it a try maybe its a good book you cant say anything till you read it

9. Elizabeth

i have never read this book before but now that i have read this the book does sound pretty good so i might get the book from the library and read it so i hope it is good like you said it is.

10. alex

i want to read this book so bad, 2 things 1: because i love to read a lot of books & 2: im going to be 12 hahah…
    lets see how cute that boy can be lol just playing
    i really need to read this book

11. Noelle

I read this book but since I was a part of book club it kinda got left in my book bag and the ending was just a bore. I read 11 birthday which I loved and i also read part of every soul a star which is by the same author. kinda boring. mostley talks about stars. bah!

12. Rc1999

I love 11 birthdays so much, I read it……………………………………………………..11 TIMES!!!! Not joking!

13. Katlyn

I have never read this book, but it really looks good to read. I really don’t read but i would read this book. I hope my libary has this book.

14. nicki

i read this book in 2days it was really good! rory had alot of bad/mayb good things that happened to her in one week! i loved it i want to read 11 birthdays but i think im gonna wait till i turn 11!

15. Emma

OMG I SO want to read Finally ‘cuz I read 11 Birthdays and its SO GOOD!!! Its about this girl called Amanda and she gets this curse on her so every single day is the same day! Amanda is totally stuck in time and she’s the only one who knows what’s happening…besides LEO!!!

16. Izadoor1

I loooooooooovvvvveeeeeee Wendy Mass I read 11 Birthdays and now i want to read 12 Finally really badly cross your fingers I get it.

17. scr222445

I already read this book and it’s awesome! If your looking for a book that is realistic fiction and full of fun and heart-warming(sort of) then this is the book for you!!!

18. shortcourt360

I have read both.they are awsome x 10!i reccomend both to everyone.i wish there was more to them!!!

19. alexandrak

I love Gordan Korman’s Island, Everest, and Dive trilogies. they are so exciting and will leave you hanging on the edge of your chair!

20. lil_miss_money

it looks like a good book i’ve already read 11 birthdays i kool u will love it trust me <3

21. springrox

This actually sounds like a book about what teenagers really deal with in life. I can’t wait to read it!!!!

22. pinkzebrastripes

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
    I really wanna read these books! I’ve already read the book Jeremy Fink and the meaning of life by her

23. melissa

im reading my 2nd book and its!!!!!!!!!!
    Dear Dumb Diray
    never do anything ever
    so far i love it!!!!

24. SmileMonkey

FINALLY IS GOING TO ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :>

25. KARINA

I LOVE YOUR BOOKS AND I HAVE THAT BOOK 12FINALLY AND I LOVE IT IT IS AMAZING IT GETS VERY INTERESTING

26. yellowfuzz5

Oh yeah, and ps:
    I’ve also read ”A Mango shaped space” and ”Jerry Fink and the meaning of life” which are both aswell written by Wendy Mass.

27. yellowfuzz5

Wow! You know what, I’ve actually read 11 birthdays before! I actually own the book.
    It was pretty good.
    If ”finally” is as good as the first book, I am SO gonna read it!

28. chocolarry

I thought Finally was just another book by Wendy Mass so I started reading it and I didn’t get it as much as if I read 11 Birthdays. Duh!

29. sportgirl1

It sounds like an interresting book where can i get it? I would to read that!! Whoever wrote that summary just persuaded me, really good. I hope I can’t wait to get the book if I get it I am going to read ALLLL that book in an HOUR beblieve it or not . I can do it

30. Emma

Ew, Justin Bieber and Zac Efron combined?! That’s gross! Zac is just fine, (and by fine, I mean FINE), on his own, thank you very much! =)

31. l12

OMg please stop talking about this book i read it already total headaches in my head AAHHHHHHAAHHHH!!!!!!!!

32. Kialie is awesome

i wanna read it soooooo bad. wendy mass is one of my favorite authors. i read 11 birthdays and its great!!!! cant wait to read it!

33. hhecheer

i got this book at my school book fair and i have not read it yet but i will over the summer!! It looks pretty good!

34. MusicLover837

I want to read this book so badly, but I never seem to find it anywhere… but this book sounds cool!

35. Priscilla

I just bought the book finally 5 minutes ago by the way this is not stupid for anyone who says

36. Priscilla

Okay you know what’s really weird ? I just bought the book 5 minutes ago from my school’s book fair it cosed me $6.00 but I totally think it’s worth it. By the way the only birthday party I ever had was at McDonalds when I was 5 and now I’m 10 HORRIBLE! (If you’re looking at this mommy for what it’s worth it was the best party ever!)

37. liz22101

im being onest! Ive never herd of the bok. is it relly that gud? i ges it loks gud. i wonder if i shud red it!

38. Maraia

I read 11 birthdays and just finished it it’s so good I really want to read this now can’t wait mabey there will be a 13 birthday or something!

39. Alexa C

I’m in a book Club at the Library and I am definitely going to ask if we can read this book.(Scholastic,you should have your own online Book club!!!!!!!!!)

40. Alyssa

This seems awsome! I totally want to read it! That’s on my Birthday list! Lol Wanna read it!!!!

41. Savyb

Someone I know read 11 birthdays and they told me to read it. So if I like 11 b days then I could read 12 b days!! There is another nook it’s a series one of it is eleven the 2 nd book is twelve then thirteen but it’s sbout this girls b day and how she develops u know girl stuff

42. Peacegrlz101

AWESOME!!! @ my school’s book fair we had that book. I didn’t get it but a bunch of my friends did and I REALLY want 2 read it!

43. Vampirebites

That sounds like a good book . I now at i’m a little bit older but it still dose sound like a good book!

44. Lori

I read 11 birthdays and I loved it! It kinda freaked me out how time just stopped, though! I can’t wait to read Finally, I’m sure it’ll be great. Wendy Mass is a fantastic author!!!!

45. Jenny2145

i read “Finally” and it was my favorite book of all times. it was so intersting. The thing that i like most about the book, is that it is different then all of other books i read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46. sleepybun

ehhh, i saw that at my book fair and it looked a little cheesy. it makes more sense that her parents say till shes 12. i thought it was like a “oh, when im 12 im going to do this and that becauase i say you cant be younger than 12 to get a cell phone!” (thats how my cousin acts)
    i might get it from my library.

47. Janessa

I cabt wait to read that book beacuse all those things that she gets to do when she is 12 is going to happen when im 12! But i already have my ears peased and i am going to asck if i can get doble for my birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. Hailey

this looks like such a great book and a lot of people commented about how awsome it was so i cant wait i want to read it so bad just cant wait and also im turning twelve soon so its awsome

49. s.snape2000

Ive read 11 Birthdays AND Finally!Got them at the book fair at my school:)They were awesome!Alot of Rory’s problems are ones that other 12 year old girls can relate to.

50. alyssa

I AM TWELVE AND IT IS SO COOL AND YOU KNOW I FEEL ALOT MORE OLDER THAN 11 SO I DIDNT HAVE A BIRTHDAY PARTY I JUST WENT OUT TO DINNER…

51. harryobsessed

I’ve got this book on hold from the library. I’ve been a huge Wendy Mass fan since I read A Mango-Shaped Space.
    Defy gravity!

52. springpolarbear

I have a reading list, and I added this book to it. But I never new that Finally was the sequel to 11 Birthdays!!! Thanks to whoever wrote that book review!!!

53. smileybeachgal101

OmG i have that book!! i’m reading it right now it rocks!! cool but wanna red 11 birthaday wat is about

54. ( kelly )

birthday party’s are awesome! well, sometimes. I think it’s good to have a book about birthday party’s.

55. toylollipop

OMG!!!!! I already read that book after I got it from the Scholastic book fair at school!!!! It’s AWESOME!!! I was going to save it for my twelth birthday…but that’s WAAAAAYYY too long to wait!!! I would reccomend this to anyone – especially the people out there getting ready to turn twelve! Whoo-hoo!!!

56. RockingReader19

I’ve read “Finally” but not “11 Birthdays” but “Finally” was easy to understand. It is a great book about turning 12 years old. It’s an important age because you take on more responsibility!! So read “Finally” by Wendy Mass! You’ll <3 it!!!

57. BookLuuver

OMG I just read this book, and I didn’t even seee this message!! It was really good!! Everyone should read it!!!

58. 51dotfeg

This looks likes and sounds like a really cool book can`t wait to read it!!!!!!!!!!! And can`t wait for my 12 b-day next year!!!!!!!!!!!!