March 5, 2010

IMAX Hubble 3D

Hubble_130 UPDATE: The astronauts replied! You can read the answers to YOUR questions here.

Imagine walking on a high wire 350 miles above the earth. Well, in May 2009, the crew of the Space Shuttle Atlantis launched a mission to make vital repairs and upgrades to the Hubble Space Telescope, and it was basically the world's most exciting and dangerous high wire act . . . in space. On board was an IMAX 3D camera, operated by the shuttle astronauts. It captured some amazing footage of the spacewalks while the astronauts made those repairs. Starting on March 19, you can see that footage in 3D in the new IMAX movie Hubble 3D (rated G). Even the astronauts say it's the next best thing to actually being in space!

And here is something else really cool — the astronauts on board offered to answer YOUR questions. So if you have a question that you want answered by a real live astronaut, write it in the Comments! we will post the responses right here.

Hubble_large_01
© 2010 Warner Bros. Courtesy of NASA, ESA, C.R. O’Dell (Vanderbilt University), M. Meixner and P. McCullough (STScI).

Hubble_large_03
© 2010 Warner Bros. Courtesy of NASA, ESA, and the Hubble SM4 ERO Team.

For lots more photos and video from the movie, go to the IMAX Hubble 3D website.

1. Josephine

I want to work in NASA when I grow up but my family keeps on making fun of me. Did you astronauts get ridiculed like this when you were a kid? :[

2. goadmin

I love space. But the problem the movie is in the imax and once my eardrums got almost broken when I was in Preschool!
    I still want to see it in a different theater.

3. super icy summery spring

is it fun to be i space could u see the world is the world HUGE can u see the world when u r in space spinning and have u astronauts ever stood on a planet beside earth and mars and is it hot when u r near the sun

4. Sea Maiden

Wow those are some really cool pictures . They are soooo colorful.I love bright ,colorful things escpecially pictures.

5. Snowflake Princess

how do astronauts use the bathroom in space i heard in a space book in my class that they go in some kind of glass box is that true?

6. TheInky3

I heard that you lose alot of weight and your immune system weakens while in space. Is that true? If so, how do you ajust when you get back?

7. Christian

How long do you guys spend in zero gee? What affect does this on normal bodily functions? For example, do you salivate more? Go more/less regularly?
    Thanks,
    Chris.

8. gav17

Oh my gosh don’t know how they could do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. 10stars

I remember that I followed that story whaen it was on the news. My greatest ambition is to become an astronaut. What requierements are there to become one?