February 15, 2010

Writing prompt: I *so* don’t do ____

Posted by at 9:48 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

Writingprompt_idont When you combine a scary subject (ghosts!) with a wacky, funny plot, you get Barrie Summy's I So Don't Do Mysteries, in which Sherry (short for Sherlock) Holmes Baldwin hangs out with her ghost of a mom and tries to help her solve mysteries. I know, it's a crazy idea
but it works.

So for this writing prompt, try to think of the silliest, wackiest, most out-there idea you can think of for a book or short story. Fill in the prompt below and get writing and don't be afraid to be outrageous. Who knows? Sometimes the craziest ideas are the best ones!

Prompt: I *so* don't do ____, but one day last week, my long-lost _____ showed up and told me he/she needed my help. Here's what he/she asked me to do: __________.

Show us your prompts in the comments. Happy writing!

Morgan, Scholastic staffer

1. veronica

I *so* don’t do roller-coasters, but one day my long-lost kitten showed up and said she needed my help. Here’s what she asked me to do: Ride the roller-coaster and when I get to the top, rescue her friend who got stuck up there!

2. chocalategirl

I so don’t yell at people but my long- lost sister said, “I’m going to a party. I need you to baby-sit for the C’s. I called your BFF and told her no movies.” What! It wasn’t fair!

3. Destiny

I*So*Don’t*Do reading. It’s boring, and there’s really no point in it. As long as you KNOW HOW TO read. Then you don’t have to keep doing it. Just like knowing how to ride a bike, but we dont do that everyday all the time…well some people do.

4. personwhatever

but, i may not do reading, but i like i so dont do
    mysteries, and thats all i will read and diary of a wimpy kid

5. ailurusfulgen

I *SO* don’t do basketball, but one day my long lost fruit kabob, Steve, told me he needed my help. This is what he asked me to do: ” GO eat a whole pizza,” and I was like “NO!!! NOT PIZZA!” Because  think pizza is disgusting.
    That was so random XD.

6. Aaliyah

can ya belivi that taylor swift is going out with justin biber that is so cool and at a consert taylor swift told justin biber to break a leg but really ment to have fun and then he broke he’s leg

7. 77777girl

I must say i’ve read all of the diary of an whimpy kid books + the preview looks nothing like it :( This looks fantastic !

8. Desiree

I *so* don’t do cats, but one day last week, my long-lost ant showed up and told me she needed my help. Here’s what she asked me to do:She told me to go brush her cats intel there fur was soft. one of the cats scratched me. now I hate cats.

9. Robert

I *so* don’t do fish, but one day last week, my long-lost fishing tackle showed up and told me he/she needed my help. Here’s what he/she asked me to do: do the charlie brown.

10. Sohie

I *so* don’t do find its,but one day last week, my long-lost mom showed up and told me she needed my help. Here’s what she asked me to do find your dog before the dog catcher dose.

11. Laikyn

I so dont do dragons but one day my long lost puppy told my to go to the land of monsters and adopt 20 dragons and one ate my sister

12. friend

*so* don’t do squash____, but one day last week, my lost __friend hill__ showed up and told me she needed my help. Here’s what she did ate all the squash in the world: ________

13. Elizabeth

I *so* don’t do twilight but one day last week my long lost apple showed up and asked me:
    to go to one of those twilight gatherings UGH! I HATE TWILIGHT
    Just kidding i luv Twilight.

14. Corey

I *so* don’t do _soccer___, but one day last week, my long-lost _ripped up rusty soccer ball____ showed up and told me he/she needed my help. Here’s what he/she asked me to do: ____play with me in outer space__