February 15, 2010

Writing prompt: I *so* don’t do ____

Posted by at 9:48 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

Writingprompt_idont When you combine a scary subject (ghosts!) with a wacky, funny plot, you get Barrie Summy's I So Don't Do Mysteries, in which Sherry (short for Sherlock) Holmes Baldwin hangs out with her ghost of a mom and tries to help her solve mysteries. I know, it's a crazy idea
but it works.

So for this writing prompt, try to think of the silliest, wackiest, most out-there idea you can think of for a book or short story. Fill in the prompt below and get writing and don't be afraid to be outrageous. Who knows? Sometimes the craziest ideas are the best ones!

Prompt: I *so* don't do ____, but one day last week, my long-lost _____ showed up and told me he/she needed my help. Here's what he/she asked me to do: __________.

Show us your prompts in the comments. Happy writing!

Morgan, Scholastic staffer

1. veronica

I *so* don’t do roller-coasters, but one day my long-lost kitten showed up and said she needed my help. Here’s what she asked me to do: Ride the roller-coaster and when I get to the top, rescue her friend who got stuck up there!

2. chocalategirl

I so don’t yell at people but my long- lost sister said, “I’m going to a party. I need you to baby-sit for the C’s. I called your BFF and told her no movies.” What! It wasn’t fair!

3. Destiny

I*So*Don’t*Do reading. It’s boring, and there’s really no point in it. As long as you KNOW HOW TO read. Then you don’t have to keep doing it. Just like knowing how to ride a bike, but we dont do that everyday all the time…well some people do.

4. personwhatever

but, i may not do reading, but i like i so dont do
    mysteries, and thats all i will read and diary of a wimpy kid

5. ailurusfulgen

I *SO* don’t do basketball, but one day my long lost fruit kabob, Steve, told me he needed my help. This is what he asked me to do: ” GO eat a whole pizza,” and I was like “NO!!! NOT PIZZA!” Because  think pizza is disgusting.
    That was so random XD.

6. Aaliyah

can ya belivi that taylor swift is going out with justin biber that is so cool and at a consert taylor swift told justin biber to break a leg but really ment to have fun and then he broke he’s leg

7. 77777girl

I must say i’ve read all of the diary of an whimpy kid books + the preview looks nothing like it :( This looks fantastic !

8. Desiree

I *so* don’t do cats, but one day last week, my long-lost ant showed up and told me she needed my help. Here’s what she asked me to do:She told me to go brush her cats intel there fur was soft. one of the cats scratched me. now I hate cats.

9. Robert

I *so* don’t do fish, but one day last week, my long-lost fishing tackle showed up and told me he/she needed my help. Here’s what he/she asked me to do: do the charlie brown.

10. Sohie

I *so* don’t do find its,but one day last week, my long-lost mom showed up and told me she needed my help. Here’s what she asked me to do find your dog before the dog catcher dose.

11. Laikyn

I so dont do dragons but one day my long lost puppy told my to go to the land of monsters and adopt 20 dragons and one ate my sister

12. friend

*so* don’t do squash____, but one day last week, my lost __friend hill__ showed up and told me she needed my help. Here’s what she did ate all the squash in the world: ________

13. Elizabeth

I *so* don’t do twilight but one day last week my long lost apple showed up and asked me:
    to go to one of those twilight gatherings UGH! I HATE TWILIGHT
    Just kidding i luv Twilight.

14. Corey

I *so* don’t do _soccer___, but one day last week, my long-lost _ripped up rusty soccer ball____ showed up and told me he/she needed my help. Here’s what he/she asked me to do: ____play with me in outer space__

15. 100plusmint

I so don’t do veggies but one day last week my long lost sister showed up and told me she needed my help. Here is what she asked me to do. ‘EAT YOUR VEGGIES!’ This is why I don’t get along with my long lost sister.

16. Greenfreak123

I *so* don’t do the Jonas brothers but one day last week my long lost walking/talking book showed up and told me she needed my help. Here’s what she told me to do: To buy ALL the Jonas Brothers posters in the universe and hang them up in my room, she said the world depended on it.

17. writersrule101

i *so* don’t do sing it but one day last week my long-lost step-grandpa showed up and told me he needed my help. here’s what he asked me to do: sing it in a battle of the wackiest and win by a landslide.

18. michelle

So i dont do dating but one day this girl came up to me and ask me out and my friends told me to go out with her 4 1 day so i did and it has been 4 years so yeah do what your heart says…..

19. Lauren

I *so* don’t do sports, but my long lost cousin showed up and asked me to play hockey for the penguins! I don’t know how to ice skate.

20. camoshark896

I*so*don’t do books,one day last week my long lost worm said she needed my help. she said’read as many books as u can!or 2 sumo wrestlers will crush u like french fries!
    i know i have issues like on my shirt.

21. Ashton

I *so* don’t do baseball. Then, my long-lost base,Lane,told me he needs help. He told me to eat cake on home plate.I told him I’d get dirt on my iceing.But I did it and I did get dirt on my cake.The End.

22. Kaitlyn S

i *so* don’t do learning because it can be boring and lame sometimes… but then my long lost math book showed up and this is what the book said. “Read every page i have.” and i said “NO! i hate learning!” but then he said “don’t worry these pages are for baby’s just read one and you will cry you will be fine!”

23. Caroline M

I *So* don’t do butterflies because last week my long lost little brother showed up and told me he could fly. I was like yeah right. Then he was like watch me so, I said o.k. Next thing you know a swarm of butterflies flew in and attacked me.
    My little brother really couldn’t fly. I win. A little later he was gone again.

24. Kaitlyn S

I so don’t do Twilight because the first movie was horrible! but the second movie AWESOME! But then my long lost brother showed up and said he needed my help this is what he said. he wanted to pay for the movie twilight and i said okay… but i did not want to see it because i did not like the first movie.

25. alice

I *so* don’t do princess pink stuff but one day my long lost doll ask me for help. She said “make your room pink and princess stuff every where or i’ll melt your brain!” I also saw a rhino in a car driving to the store. typical day…

26. Kaitlyn S

I so don’t do scary things. But one day last weak my long lost aunt showed up and told me she needed my help. This is what she asked me to do. She asked me to go to a haunted house and break the floor boards and i thought that was scary because there were bats and a big dog.

27. frito

I sooo don’t do tacos! Last week my long lost burrito friend showed up and told me:
    Go to outer space and do the chicken dance and then I will become a taco.
    I pulled out my phone and pretended to call my mom.”Hello, Mom, Yes, I’m going to outer space cause a burrito told me to go bye!.” (i hung up the phone) “Not gonna happen” I told the burrito. He wailed all the way back to taco shack.THE END.

28. Kolby D

I so don’t do Chick flicks. but one day my long-losted pencil it aksed me to sharpened it and put it on a horse so it could ride away. So I did and I never saw my pencil ever again.

29. camoshark896

I*so* am not NEW to this blog.
    well i started a month ago.
    how old are you i am 8 and i play football,snowboard & play videogames for a living respond!
    WORD!

30. Laikyn

I *so* don’t do chips but one day my long lost cracker showed up and gave my a bag of really cheesy chips and told me to eat them or I would disappear the next day the only thing that happened was I got a stomach ache I HATE CHIPS!
    nah not really i love chips

31. haytink

I *so* don’t do books or reading, but one day last week, my long-lost dictionary showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he asked me to do: he said that he had lost all of his words. He asked me if I would help him find them, but to do so I would have to read a lot of books to find all the words. I didn’t want to let him down so I did it. Now I *love* books and reading!

32. Surfrockgirl

I *so* don’t do families, but one day last week my long-lost Aunt showed up and told me she needed my help. Here’s what she asked me: To talk to my mom and ask if we can all have a “family celebration”. Seriously?

33. cody

i don’t do Twilight eather i read the first book and i drop it afster the 15th pages andi pick up a book about the kids alex rider

34. Victoria

I *so* don’t do the 70′s, but one day last week my long-lost hippie uncle showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he asked me: groove out to 70′s tunes on the dance floor. Oh, and did I mention I had to dress up in a tie-dye shirt and platform shoes? Platform shoes are like, way worse than high heels! I *so* didn’t like it, but at least I learned how to disco!

35. Sydney

I *so* don’t do pajama parties! But one day last week my long lost dog showed up, and told me she needed my help.
    Here’s what she asked me to do: She asked me to have a pajama party for her and her dog friends. Only because I loved her I did.

36. falllbookgirl

I *so* don’t do outer space, but one day last week, my long-lost teddy bear showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he asked me to do: travel into outer space and search for aliens and monkeys.

37. FantasyReader07

I *so* don’t do Twilight, but one day, my long lost taco, Bob, showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he asked me to do: “Will you make a puppet while riding a llama in the Olymipcs alongside a purple zebra in the Nile River?”
    Yes, I do get overly odd sometimes. Although I wish that I would have this dream. Instead, I would eat the taco for the ending!!! :)

38. BlackMouth182

I *sssooooo* dont do Missions. UUUHHHGGG!!!!!!But one day my long-lost teacher(wish se was still long-lost)showed up and told me she needed my help. Heres what she wanted me to do: She asked me “If I could steal Mary`s cat.” I said “NNNNOOOO WWWWAAAAYYYY!!!!”

39. Breanna

I *so* don’t do bug-eating, but one day last week, my long lost Teddy bear showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what she asked me to do: eat bugs if you want me to win a millions of dollars. if you don’t i’ll haunt you to the grave!!!!

40. Amanda

I *so* don’t do WEDDINGS, but one day last week, my long-lost boyfriend showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he asked me to do: be the host of his wedding with his girlfriend. I just replied with a flat-out NO, and left.

41. cutepanda1231

I *so* don’t do ghost stories, but one day last week, my long-lost goldfish showed up and told me she needed my help.Here’s what she told me to do: “Go to the haunted house on Maple Street and open the third door to your right. Inside that door is one magical treasure chest. You must search the house, find the key, and open the treasure chest. There, you will find a magical- oh no! I have to go!” And that’s all I got out of my goldfish that day.

42. Bookworm288

I *so* don’t do music, but one day last week, my long lost uncle (who happens to be a fabrilliant musician) showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he told me to do: play Schubert on piano for a huge crowd of people at his hundredth birthday party! So now, I have to learn piano in a week. And I *so* don’t do music.

43. Elle

I *so* don’t do ghost movies, but one day, my friends had a sleep over and told me to get some DVD’s in her room. Here’s what she asked me to do: Grab the remote and press play. I did as i was told but instead of finding the DVD’s,i got the scare of my life…uh not really, it was only casper!

44. readingstar5

I *so* don’t do horror movies, but one day, my long-lost taco showed up and told me he needed my help. He asked me to watch a scary movie and dance like a chicken.

45. Marytonga

I *so* don’t do busts of presidents, but one day last week my long-lost kitten showed up and told me she needed my help. Here’s what she asked me to do: make a bust of every president for her history. I did it, but Teddy Roosevelt’s mustache almost fell off. Then she hung them all up on the ceiling and gave the dog a birthday party!

46. Miranda

I *so* don’t do ice-cream(too many carbs!), but one day last week, my long lost ice-cream truck driver showed and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he told me to do: “Eat as much ice-cream as you can! The world is ending!”
    Yeah, I’m weird like that.