February 15, 2010

Writing prompt: I *so* don’t do ____

Posted by at 9:48 am in Writing Prompt | Permalink

Writingprompt_idont When you combine a scary subject (ghosts!) with a wacky, funny plot, you get Barrie Summy's I So Don't Do Mysteries, in which Sherry (short for Sherlock) Holmes Baldwin hangs out with her ghost of a mom and tries to help her solve mysteries. I know, it's a crazy idea
but it works.

So for this writing prompt, try to think of the silliest, wackiest, most out-there idea you can think of for a book or short story. Fill in the prompt below and get writing and don't be afraid to be outrageous. Who knows? Sometimes the craziest ideas are the best ones!

Prompt: I *so* don't do ____, but one day last week, my long-lost _____ showed up and told me he/she needed my help. Here's what he/she asked me to do: __________.

Show us your prompts in the comments. Happy writing!

Morgan, Scholastic staffer

1. Victoria

I *so* don’t do the 70′s, but one day last week my long-lost hippie uncle showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he asked me: groove out to 70′s tunes on the dance floor. Oh, and did I mention I had to dress up in a tie-dye shirt and platform shoes? Platform shoes are like, way worse than high heels! I *so* didn’t like it, but at least I learned how to disco!

2. Sydney

I *so* don’t do pajama parties! But one day last week my long lost dog showed up, and told me she needed my help.
    Here’s what she asked me to do: She asked me to have a pajama party for her and her dog friends. Only because I loved her I did.

3. falllbookgirl

I *so* don’t do outer space, but one day last week, my long-lost teddy bear showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he asked me to do: travel into outer space and search for aliens and monkeys.

4. FantasyReader07

I *so* don’t do Twilight, but one day, my long lost taco, Bob, showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he asked me to do: “Will you make a puppet while riding a llama in the Olymipcs alongside a purple zebra in the Nile River?”
    Yes, I do get overly odd sometimes. Although I wish that I would have this dream. Instead, I would eat the taco for the ending!!! :)

5. BlackMouth182

I *sssooooo* dont do Missions. UUUHHHGGG!!!!!!But one day my long-lost teacher(wish se was still long-lost)showed up and told me she needed my help. Heres what she wanted me to do: She asked me “If I could steal Mary`s cat.” I said “NNNNOOOO WWWWAAAAYYYY!!!!”

6. Breanna

I *so* don’t do bug-eating, but one day last week, my long lost Teddy bear showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what she asked me to do: eat bugs if you want me to win a millions of dollars. if you don’t i’ll haunt you to the grave!!!!

7. Amanda

I *so* don’t do WEDDINGS, but one day last week, my long-lost boyfriend showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he asked me to do: be the host of his wedding with his girlfriend. I just replied with a flat-out NO, and left.

8. cutepanda1231

I *so* don’t do ghost stories, but one day last week, my long-lost goldfish showed up and told me she needed my help.Here’s what she told me to do: “Go to the haunted house on Maple Street and open the third door to your right. Inside that door is one magical treasure chest. You must search the house, find the key, and open the treasure chest. There, you will find a magical- oh no! I have to go!” And that’s all I got out of my goldfish that day.

9. Bookworm288

I *so* don’t do music, but one day last week, my long lost uncle (who happens to be a fabrilliant musician) showed up and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he told me to do: play Schubert on piano for a huge crowd of people at his hundredth birthday party! So now, I have to learn piano in a week. And I *so* don’t do music.

10. Elle

I *so* don’t do ghost movies, but one day, my friends had a sleep over and told me to get some DVD’s in her room. Here’s what she asked me to do: Grab the remote and press play. I did as i was told but instead of finding the DVD’s,i got the scare of my life…uh not really, it was only casper!

11. readingstar5

I *so* don’t do horror movies, but one day, my long-lost taco showed up and told me he needed my help. He asked me to watch a scary movie and dance like a chicken.

12. Marytonga

I *so* don’t do busts of presidents, but one day last week my long-lost kitten showed up and told me she needed my help. Here’s what she asked me to do: make a bust of every president for her history. I did it, but Teddy Roosevelt’s mustache almost fell off. Then she hung them all up on the ceiling and gave the dog a birthday party!

13. Miranda

I *so* don’t do ice-cream(too many carbs!), but one day last week, my long lost ice-cream truck driver showed and told me he needed my help. Here’s what he told me to do: “Eat as much ice-cream as you can! The world is ending!”
    Yeah, I’m weird like that.