February 3, 2010

EXCLUSIVE Smile Comic from Raina Telgemeier

Posted by at 3:04 pm in Authors, Graphic Novels, Reads | Permalink

Raina_stacks_130Raina Telgemeier Smile Exclusive

Do I have something for you! Raina Telgemeier, author and illustrator of the new graphic novel Smile, drew a new comic just for Ink Splot 26 readers!

Smile is the true story of how Raina tripped and fell, severely injuring her two front teeth in sixth grade. What follows is a frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth to fix it! But, life doesn't stop in the meantime. . . Raina still has to deal with middle school, a major earthquake, friend drama, and boys. Read the full review here.

There is one thing Raina left out of the book. . . Novocaine. But, now you can see that right here in Raina Telgemeier's exclusive comic strip:

Raina_stacks_web
(Click to view larger)

UPDATE: Also see Raina Telgemeier's newest book, Drama.

—Carly H., STACKS Staffer

Copyright 2010 Raina Telgemeier

1. peaceaddic123

I read this book it’s AWESOME!! is there a 2nd 1 out yet!! I L-O-V-E Raina Telgemeier!! She’s awesome also!!

2. lilfox

That was a cool comic strip! Already i’m excited to get the book! Mabye they should make a movie about this book! I think that would be awsome!

3. purple-owl

OMG I am a huge smile fan and being a kid with a dental problem I totally can relate- THANK YOU MISS TELGEMIER!

4. Raylac27

OMG.this seems like a book i can really relate to cause in february i got 2 teeth taken out and got braces all in the same day. when i left the office, my lips felt HUGE! now i’m starting to get used to the braces. i’m glad they only have to stay on for 1yr and 2mths!!

5. Jenna

i didnt know that you, the author, checks these comments. i feel like im talking to a big time celeb. but i am! that novel looks a-m-a ZING! those commics look really good. i hope i have a chance to read the comic!
    CANT WAIT!

6. Jenna

the comic looks really good. like a really mature comic books that can be translated into a real life novel!
    i have to check this book out. i mean
    i have to check this novel out.

7. misty

i love your book! i think think you should write a second one about yourself! by the way that thing up there is so funny!

8. gigglelaugh

I love your book! Volunteers for the fcat have been reading it and they love it too! Your book is awesome and when I saw these daily comics I clicked on it right away! Is there anyway to see past comics? Bye.

9. zoe zoe

i LUV this book! i just got it at my school bookfair and it was totally worth it! this comic is really clever and funny but sorry,can’t relate,but i might be getting braces soon!:)