February 3, 2010

EXCLUSIVE Smile Comic from Raina Telgemeier

Posted by at 3:04 pm in Authors, Graphic Novels, Reads | Permalink

Raina_stacks_130Raina Telgemeier Smile Exclusive

Do I have something for you! Raina Telgemeier, author and illustrator of the new graphic novel Smile, drew a new comic just for Ink Splot 26 readers!

Smile is the true story of how Raina tripped and fell, severely injuring her two front teeth in sixth grade. What follows is a frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth to fix it! But, life doesn't stop in the meantime. . . Raina still has to deal with middle school, a major earthquake, friend drama, and boys. Read the full review here.

There is one thing Raina left out of the book. . . Novocaine. But, now you can see that right here in Raina Telgemeier's exclusive comic strip:

Raina_stacks_web
(Click to view larger)

UPDATE: Also see Raina Telgemeier's newest book, Drama.

—Carly H., STACKS Staffer

Copyright 2010 Raina Telgemeier

1. kaykay112

well that was an interesting comic but it toke me a few reads to understand that. um i don’t think i can relate to it i’ve got cavities filled but only minor.
    visit MY PAGE
    kaykay112

2. bakers02

This is really funny!! I have no way to relate to this but I still like it.
    Hey, isn’t this how Kristy from the babysitters Club looks like in the BSC animated comic book???

3. superbabybaby

thats totally me i mean i have braces,once i had a thing that went on the top of my mouth it hurts when you get them off i still feel that way i mean i am still scared?

4. maylucy518408

WOW!
    THAT IS ACTUALLY FUNNY:-D
    I WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW ABOUT THIS
    THANKS FOR THE IDEA!!!!!!!!!!
    ALSO,ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS-LIST,PLEASE!

5. 1113coco

i have not had to get my teeth replased befor but i bet it hurt. i bet your books are really good. maybe i will read them sometime

6. Taylor

I CAN RELATE RO THIS BECAUSE LAST YEAR MY BROTHER HAD ATE SO MUCH CANDY AND HE HAD A BAD CAVITY SO THE DENTIST HAD TO PULL OUT HIS K-9 TOOTH AND HE COULD NOT TALK AT ALL OR I WOULD GET IN TROUBLE AND HIS TOOTH WAS SO SOAR FOR A LONG TIME JUST LIKE THAT GIRL IN YOY NEW COOL COMIC.RAINA TELGEMEIER YOUR BOOKS ARE GOING TO BE THE BEST IN THE UNIVERSE I GOING TO ASK MY MOM FOR ALL YOUR WONDERFUL BOOK SERIES. YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Carly

That’s funny! That happened to me and my mom laughed at me because i kept looking down to see my lip and i thought it was wierd that i couldn’t see it because it felt like it was huge!

1. Jan

Hey! A few of the books on my list are Half-World by Hiromi Goto, The House of Dies Drear by Virgina Hamilton (ages 11-14), The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi (Adult/high school), The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Adult), and The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Adult). There’s also Blindness by Jose Saramago (Adult) which is really good.

8. Emma

My cousin got me this book and I can relate to it because I got 4 teeth pulled and have a full set of braces on and soon headgear and rubber bands!

9. PinkGirly97

That looks like a good book! I’ll have to check it out. And that’s awesome that she made it just for Ink Splot! Thanks Raina Telgemeier! This is so cool!