February 3, 2010

EXCLUSIVE Smile Comic from Raina Telgemeier

Posted by at 3:04 pm in Authors, Graphic Novels, Reads | Permalink

Raina_stacks_130Raina Telgemeier Smile Exclusive

Do I have something for you! Raina Telgemeier, author and illustrator of the new graphic novel Smile, drew a new comic just for Ink Splot 26 readers!

Smile is the true story of how Raina tripped and fell, severely injuring her two front teeth in sixth grade. What follows is a frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth to fix it! But, life doesn't stop in the meantime. . . Raina still has to deal with middle school, a major earthquake, friend drama, and boys. Read the full review here.

There is one thing Raina left out of the book. . . Novocaine. But, now you can see that right here in Raina Telgemeier's exclusive comic strip:

Raina_stacks_web
(Click to view larger)

UPDATE: Also see Raina Telgemeier's newest book, Drama.

—Carly H., STACKS Staffer

Copyright 2010 Raina Telgemeier

1. maddy

BEST BOOK EVER IT IS MY FAVORITE BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Rachel

I was with my school reading buddy, and she had to go home early. I ended snooping around the Library Shelfs. I ended up reading 48 pages of “Smile” about 10-20 minutes! I wish I got it out though. :(

3. yesdnil!

I lovvvvvveeeeee the book smile! I read it over and over and over but it never gets old. Can you make some more about your life or something? Besides Thw babysitting books?

4. seemo2

I have Smile on hold at the library!!! I can’t wait to readit! They were selling it at our school’s scholastic book fair. I don’t need braces or a retainer or headgear but it looks painful

5. peaceaddic123

I read this book it’s AWESOME!! is there a 2nd 1 out yet!! I L-O-V-E Raina Telgemeier!! She’s awesome also!!

6. lilfox

That was a cool comic strip! Already i’m excited to get the book! Mabye they should make a movie about this book! I think that would be awsome!

7. purple-owl

OMG I am a huge smile fan and being a kid with a dental problem I totally can relate- THANK YOU MISS TELGEMIER!

8. Raylac27

OMG.this seems like a book i can really relate to cause in february i got 2 teeth taken out and got braces all in the same day. when i left the office, my lips felt HUGE! now i’m starting to get used to the braces. i’m glad they only have to stay on for 1yr and 2mths!!

9. Jenna

i didnt know that you, the author, checks these comments. i feel like im talking to a big time celeb. but i am! that novel looks a-m-a ZING! those commics look really good. i hope i have a chance to read the comic!
    CANT WAIT!

10. Jenna

the comic looks really good. like a really mature comic books that can be translated into a real life novel!
    i have to check this book out. i mean
    i have to check this novel out.

11. misty

i love your book! i think think you should write a second one about yourself! by the way that thing up there is so funny!

12. gigglelaugh

I love your book! Volunteers for the fcat have been reading it and they love it too! Your book is awesome and when I saw these daily comics I clicked on it right away! Is there anyway to see past comics? Bye.

13. zoe zoe

i LUV this book! i just got it at my school bookfair and it was totally worth it! this comic is really clever and funny but sorry,can’t relate,but i might be getting braces soon!:)

14. maira

Raina you are my hero your book was so cool feel sorry for the earthquake are you writing any other books?

15. Sydny

You’re right! Raina Telegmeir did draw Kristy for the Baby-Sitters Club comix. Cool comic. I love the book soooooo much!

16. lilyiskool

that is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Josephine

That’s really funny! I have braces and before I put them I went to the dentist a gazillion times and felt as if my lip grew 10 feet! But now I have them on I feel PAIN so I wish that I could get that Novocaine back!

18. kaykay112

well that was an interesting comic but it toke me a few reads to understand that. um i don’t think i can relate to it i’ve got cavities filled but only minor.
    visit MY PAGE
    kaykay112

19. bakers02

This is really funny!! I have no way to relate to this but I still like it.
    Hey, isn’t this how Kristy from the babysitters Club looks like in the BSC animated comic book???

20. superbabybaby

thats totally me i mean i have braces,once i had a thing that went on the top of my mouth it hurts when you get them off i still feel that way i mean i am still scared?

21. maylucy518408

WOW!
    THAT IS ACTUALLY FUNNY:-D
    I WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW ABOUT THIS
    THANKS FOR THE IDEA!!!!!!!!!!
    ALSO,ADD ME TO YOUR FRIENDS-LIST,PLEASE!

22. 1113coco

i have not had to get my teeth replased befor but i bet it hurt. i bet your books are really good. maybe i will read them sometime

23. Taylor

I CAN RELATE RO THIS BECAUSE LAST YEAR MY BROTHER HAD ATE SO MUCH CANDY AND HE HAD A BAD CAVITY SO THE DENTIST HAD TO PULL OUT HIS K-9 TOOTH AND HE COULD NOT TALK AT ALL OR I WOULD GET IN TROUBLE AND HIS TOOTH WAS SO SOAR FOR A LONG TIME JUST LIKE THAT GIRL IN YOY NEW COOL COMIC.RAINA TELGEMEIER YOUR BOOKS ARE GOING TO BE THE BEST IN THE UNIVERSE I GOING TO ASK MY MOM FOR ALL YOUR WONDERFUL BOOK SERIES. YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Carly

That’s funny! That happened to me and my mom laughed at me because i kept looking down to see my lip and i thought it was wierd that i couldn’t see it because it felt like it was huge!

1. Jan

Hey! A few of the books on my list are Half-World by Hiromi Goto, The House of Dies Drear by Virgina Hamilton (ages 11-14), The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi (Adult/high school), The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Adult), and The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Adult). There’s also Blindness by Jose Saramago (Adult) which is really good.

25. Emma

My cousin got me this book and I can relate to it because I got 4 teeth pulled and have a full set of braces on and soon headgear and rubber bands!

26. PinkGirly97

That looks like a good book! I’ll have to check it out. And that’s awesome that she made it just for Ink Splot! Thanks Raina Telgemeier! This is so cool!