December 25, 2009

TBR Books (To Be Read)

Posted by at 8:26 am in About Us, Reads | Permalink

To_be_read Merry Christmas! Scholastic is closed today, obviously, but through the magic of computers, we can still bring you a blog post! The STACKS staffers are all at home today for Christmas vacation. So what do we do when we're not in the office working on the STACKS? We read of course! And since every reader has a TBR pile (a pile of books To Be Read in future when you have time), I asked the STACKS staffers what books they will be reading on their day (or days) off.

Carly M.

• Catching Fire (for ages 12 and up). I can’t believe I still haven’t read this yet! I loved The Hunger Games, so one would only assume I would’ve run out to read the sequel. Well, before the end of 2009, I will finish Catching Fire.
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2: The Sea of Monsters. I just finished reading The Lightning Thief and I loved it. I forgot how interesting Greek Mythology really is. I felt like I actually learned more about the Greek Gods in Riordan’s book than I did while reading the original myths. I can’t wait to find out who Percy encounters in The Sea of Monsters.
  • Eleventh Grade Burns. This is the fourth book in The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series by Heather Brewer. In my case, if I’ve made it through three books in a series, then it must mean I really like it. Plus, it’s one of the only teen vampire series that I know of that doesn’t focus on the romantic aspect of vampires.

Carly H.

• I’m going to finally sit down and read Ghost in the Machine by Patrick Carman. It’s been sitting on my shelf since it came out and I’m dying to find out what happens to Ryan and Sarah. (Usually I read when I’m not at a computer, but for this book you need to be able to go online and watch the videos.)

Jack

• My TBR book at the moment is Maximum Ride Book 5: Max (for ages 12 and up). I've been wanting to read it for a while, ever since the kids on the Hunger Games message board started recommending it and comparing it to other great books like Percy Jackson and The Hunger Games. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it over Christmas!

Karen: "I have about a gazillion books on my TBR pile, but over the Christmas holiday I’m going to focus on two series.They’ve both been on my TBR pile for years, and I finally read the first book in each series over my Thanksgiving vacation. The problem is, now I’m hooked on both series! Good thing my plane flight home for Christmas is 6 hours long!"

• Ranger’s Apprentice by John Flanagan
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart

Morgan: "I have a HUGE TBR pile on two separate nightstands (er, and a pile on the floor next to my favorite bookshelf. And several unread works on my Kindle!). But there are specific books I’m saving for my time off over the holidays."

• Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (for ages 12 and up). I inhaled it so quickly when it was released that now I plan to re-read it, slowly!
  • The Luxe series (for ages 12 and up) by Anna Godbersen. I’m in the middle of book 2, but book 3 is ready and waiting!

Nick

• Becoming Naomi Leon. I love Pam Munoz Ryan’s books, and this is one of them that I haven’t read. I know, it’s one of the most popular of hers, but I just never picked it up. I have a copy of the book just waiting for me to open.
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Demigod Files. I loved the Percy Jackson series, and I want to know more. I have always been really interested in Greek Mythology. It’s great to hear some of the old stories retold in a new way, and see the Greek gods as they might fit in modern society.
  • The Hunger Games and Catching Fire (for ages 12 and up) (again). I got this book for all of my friends and family, and everyone loved it! I read both books in such a rush to find out what happens, that I feel like I need a refresher. And we just announced that book #3 is coming out August 24th!! I can’t wait.

Ratha

• Catching Fire (the second book in The Hunger Games series, for ages 12 and up). My friend promised to get this for me for Christmas – which is the ONLY reason I haven't devoured it yet like I did the first book!
  • Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. One of my friends who is a big reader LOVED this book. The reviews look awesome, so I'm gonna check it out.
  • The Baby-sitters Club books. I used to love this series when I was a kid, and I think it might be time to break back into it. (Plus I love the Ann Martin message boards!)

Me

• Zoobreak by Gordon Korman. I loved Swindle by Korman and this book looks just as fun.
  • The 39 Clues Book 6: In Too Deep by Jude Watson. Why have I not read this book yet?? There is no excuse.
  • When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. This book is on a lot of people's best of 2009 lists, so I need to read it to see what all the fuss is about.

What about you? When the presents are opened, and you're stuffed with all the food you can eat, what books will you reach for? Let me know in the Comments.

All the STACKS staffers and I wish you a wonderful Christmas and a happy Winter Break full of lots of good books and plenty of time for reading!

image from kids.scholastic.com

— Sonja, STACKS Staffer

1. joyfulaqua48

hello people can u pleace put me as a friend ill really apreshante that i love alll books!!!!!!!!!;)

2. dancingdancing885

i really injoy writing to aswome people like u guys if u want to know more add!!!! me as a friend plz ill really apreshate and thank u for yur time i love u forever and ever intil we die plz !!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

3. Shadow Princess

ill b reading
    -Eyes like stars by Lisa Mantchev
    -The Mermaid’s Mirror by L. K. Madigan
    -The Blue Djinn of Babyloon by P. B. Kerr

1. joyfulaqua48

i really like those books i think we have so much in common u should be my friends

4. Ivampire

My list is long,and growing:
    1. Cirque Du Freak: Trials of Death By: Darren Shan
    2. Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire Prince By: Darren Shan
    3. May Bird and the Ever After By:Jodi Lynn Anderson
    4. The Doll in the Garden By: Mary Downing Hahn
    5. The Gate of Days By:Guilluame Prevost
    6. Cry of the Cat By: Robert Lawrence Stine (R.L.Stine)
    7. Dracula (The original text) By: Bram Stoker
    8. Tell Tale Heart By: Edgar Allen Poe
    9. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters
    10. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Demigod Flies
    11. Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde By: Robert Louis Stevenson
    12. Frankenstein By: Mary Shelly
    These are the ones I’m working on now:
    1. Seekers: Great Bear Lake By: Erin Hunter
    2. No Blood Spilled By: Les Daniels
    3. C is for Corpse By: Sue Crafton
    4. Warriors: Into the Wild By: Erin Hunter

5. mirialin_moon_knight4789

I really want to read:
    1. The Red Pyramid, by Rick Riordan (Coming out May 4th!)
    2. The Lost Hero (We all know who this is by and when it’s coming out)
    3. Shifter, by “someone-I-can’t-remember-the-name-of”. Sadly, it’s a HarperCollins book, so…

6. Baileybug

WOW Percy Jadcson was such a wonderful movie!! I can’t wait to read it!!:) I am recently reading the Twilight series!! It is great!! I’m on Breaking Dawn!!

7. muffinman

I forgot to mention about Brisingr, its a really long book and I still havent finished it but its really good, the first and third one I still ave to read….I am really stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Maya

My TBR booklist is sooo big. Here are the books in it:
    Catching Fire, I read the first and am dying to read the next one
    The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoners Dilemma, I read books one and two and loved them, I have to finish the series.
    Wild Magic Series, I loved the Protector of the small series
    The Color of Magic and other Discworld books, A MUST READ SERIES!

9. Thalia_Grace_Uber_Fan

I plan to read:
    Fire by Kirsten Cashore(prequel to Graceling)
    GIFTED book 3:Here Today,Gone Tomorrow by Marilyn Kaye
    The Candlestone by Bryan Davis
    Eye of the Oracle by Bryan Davis
    Hunter Brown and the Consuming Fire by the Miller Brothers
    Gods of Manhattan by Scott Mebus

1. joyfulaqua48

me too
      me tooo
      me to
      i love them
      so much more back then because there are so intersting!!!

10. bookwormgrl

2009 was so much fun! I’m sad it’s over because of the great memories but I can’t wait to make new ones in 2010 (this includes reading all the awesome new books to come)!

11. Tessa

my favorite TBR’s are the Percy and the Olympians series, i’ve read them all and trust me their are tons of surprises and it’s the best nonfiction series i’ve read in a while! I also like the How I survived Middle School Survival Guide series and i would LOVE to know any other books like them!

12. bmw3bug

i plan on reading THE VIPERS NEST by Peter Lerangis. but its not yet realesed!!!!!!!!!!!!! (its book 7 in the 39 clues seris) and sarah they are making a 39 clues movie!!!!!!!!!!!1

13. a

my BTR are:
    twilight saga
    narnia series
    Heidi
    the story of Clara Barton
    the tale of mrs.frisby
    the past the present and the loud loud girl (it so funny)

14. Anonmys

the mysterious benidict socity rocks! and – i don’t know if anyone realized – a bunch of old books like harry potter are becoming more popular.

15. Aly

I am going to finally finish re-reading the storm books by Mercedes Lackey (YA books). I am also going to read Percy Jackson, and the Book of Time series, and a prequel to Graceling, called Fire!!!

16. Aly

@ Karen
    both of those series are awesome.
    it’s funny, I got to know a girl last year because we both loved Ranger’s Apprentice, and now she is one of my best friends. The one (and only) thing I don’t like about the series is that it’s published in Australia, so I have to wait for it to come out in the US. and if you buy it from Aust. the shipping costs so much!!!

17. Victoria

My TBR List:
    1.The 39 Clues:In Too Deep
    (Haven’t been able to get a hold of it yet!)
    2. Percy Jackson Book 4
    3. How I Survived Middle School: Wish Upon a Star
    4. Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows (I’ve read this already, actually)

18. Rachel

The books on my current TBR list are:
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore(I’m about halfway through,and it’s really good so far!)
    Margaret Peterson Haddix’s new book,Claim To Fame
    Artemis Fowl books 2-6 by Eoin Colfer(I got 3,4,and 6 for Christmas and just now finished book 1,so I have a lot of reading to do!)
    Raising Dragons by Bryan Davis(a fantasy book that I got a good recommendation on from a friend)
    Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R.L. LaFevers
    Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo
    Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow by the Miller Brothers
    Whew,that’s a lot!Hopefully,I’ll be able to finish Graceling by midnight tomorrow!

19. booksbooks23

i have a new recommondatiom btr its called the princess academey it tells of love,her mountion ,and a slight chance she might be a princess, but when that chance is threatened she tries to save her life andthe girls around her. it is one of the most romantic and light hearted book i have ever read and every trill would have your heart racing.

20. Sarah

I LOVED the 39 clues book 1 and 2. I am know reading book 3. My goal is to finish the series. I think it would be cool if they could make a movie about the books. I would totally see it! :)

21. bakers02

I read this great book called The Road to Paris. It was a really touching book. It was like a bittersweet book. If you ever get a chance, check it out. I loved it, and hope you will too.
    Thnx!!

22. obiwancrazy

Over the Christmas vacation I’m reading Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix and then IDK… maybe the sequel, Sent, or maybe The Hunger Games, or The Tales of Beedle the Bard (which is short, but it’s Harry Potter, therefore I must read it)

23. imaginarytodd

Uhm… I have two books.
    1. Extraordinary origins of everyday things by Charles Panati: Is about the origins of a lot of usual stuff like Christmas, barbies, the yo-yo and stuff like that.
    2. My brother Abe by Harlod Mazer: The story of the Lincoln’s childhood told by Abraham Lincoln’s sister.
    I want to read them … :(

24. Marytonga

Mysterious Benedict Society is AM-AZ-ING!
    There are THREE books! I will reread the third, The Mysterious Benedict Society And The Prisoners Dilemma, and any good books in the library! Merry Christmas everyone!

25. Abby

I absolutely MUST READ THESE NOW!!!
    1. Uglies (12 and up)
    2. Catching Fire (12 and up)
    3. MAX (12 and up)
    4. The Amanda Project-Okay, so I don’t actually own this one yet, but that’s easily fixed.

26. Andy

My TBR List
    Hunger Games – This is very popular, so I want to see why! :)
    Percy Jackson Series – Okay, I LOVED the first book, I’m on the second one, AND I plan to finish this fantasy series!
    I have a lot of books, but there’s way too much to list. I’ll try to add more to this list later!

27. Crystal

Cool! Percy Jackson is something that everyone should read, and I’m really glad I’m not the only one who’s obsessed with it! :) I have a pretty long TBR list too, and all the books that you guys are reading are either on it or already read. Scholastic is my favorite places ’cause everyone has the same book tastes as me. :)
    So, anyway, enjoy your holidays, whether you’re Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Buddist, or any other religion inbetween. :)

28. giantlion

I will be reading:
    Eldest
    Seekers:The Quest begins
    The City of Ember
    The Chronicles of Narnia series
    The Guardians of Ga`Hoole series:Book Two:The Journey
    The Spiderwick Chronicles: Books 2 and 3

29. giantlion

I`m reading:
    Eldest: I really liked Eragon, and I want to read Brisingr, too!
    Seekers:The Quest begins
    I have a TON of other books to read during my Christmas vacation, too!