TBR Books (To Be Read)
Merry Christmas! Scholastic is closed today, obviously, but through the magic of computers, we can still bring you a blog post! The STACKS staffers are all at home today for Christmas vacation. So what do we do when we're not in the office working on the STACKS? We read of course! And since every reader has a TBR pile (a pile of books To Be Read in future when you have time), I asked the STACKS staffers what books they will be reading on their day (or days) off.
- Catching Fire (for ages 12 and up). I can’t believe I still haven’t read this yet! I loved The Hunger Games, so one would only assume I would’ve run out to read the sequel. Well, before the end of 2009, I will finish Catching Fire.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 2: The Sea of Monsters. I just finished reading The Lightning Thief and I loved it. I forgot how interesting Greek Mythology really is. I felt like I actually learned more about the Greek Gods in Riordan’s book than I did while reading the original myths. I can’t wait to find out who Percy encounters in The Sea of Monsters.
- Eleventh Grade Burns. This is the fourth book in The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod series by Heather Brewer. In my case, if I’ve made it through three books in a series, then it must mean I really like it. Plus, it’s one of the only teen vampire series that I know of that doesn’t focus on the romantic aspect of vampires.
- I’m going to finally sit down and read Ghost in the Machine by Patrick Carman. It’s been sitting on my shelf since it came out and I’m dying to find out what happens to Ryan and Sarah. (Usually I read when I’m not at a computer, but for this book you need to be able to go online and watch the videos.)
- My TBR book at the moment is Maximum Ride Book 5: Max (for ages 12 and up). I've been wanting to read it for a while, ever since the kids on the Hunger Games message board started recommending it and comparing it to other great books like Percy Jackson and The Hunger Games. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it over Christmas!
Karen: "I have about a gazillion books on my TBR pile, but over the Christmas holiday I’m going to focus on two series.They’ve both been on my TBR pile for years, and I finally read the first book in each series over my Thanksgiving vacation. The problem is, now I’m hooked on both series! Good thing my plane flight home for Christmas is 6 hours long!"
- Ranger’s Apprentice by John Flanagan
- The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
Morgan: "I have a HUGE TBR pile on two separate nightstands (er, and a pile on the floor next to my favorite bookshelf. And several unread works on my Kindle!). But there are specific books I’m saving for my time off over the holidays."
- Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (for ages 12 and up). I inhaled it so quickly when it was released that now I plan to re-read it, slowly!
- The Luxe series (for ages 12 and up) by Anna Godbersen. I’m in the middle of book 2, but book 3 is ready and waiting!
- Becoming Naomi Leon. I love Pam Munoz Ryan’s books, and this is one of them that I haven’t read. I know, it’s one of the most popular of hers, but I just never picked it up. I have a copy of the book just waiting for me to open.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Demigod Files. I loved the Percy Jackson series, and I want to know more. I have always been really interested in Greek Mythology. It’s great to hear some of the old stories retold in a new way, and see the Greek gods as they might fit in modern society.
- The Hunger Games and Catching Fire (for ages 12 and up) (again). I got this book for all of my friends and family, and everyone loved it! I read both books in such a rush to find out what happens, that I feel like I need a refresher. And we just announced that book #3 is coming out August 24th!! I can’t wait.
- Catching Fire (the second book in The Hunger Games series, for ages 12 and up). My friend promised to get this for me for Christmas - which is the ONLY reason I haven't devoured it yet like I did the first book!
- Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. One of my friends who is a big reader LOVED this book. The reviews look awesome, so I'm gonna check it out.
- The Baby-sitters Club books. I used to love this series when I was a kid, and I think it might be time to break back into it. (Plus I love the Ann Martin message boards!)
- Zoobreak by Gordon Korman. I loved Swindle by Korman and this book looks just as fun.
- The 39 Clues Book 6: In Too Deep by Jude Watson. Why have I not read this book yet?? There is no excuse.
- When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. This book is on a lot of people's best of 2009 lists, so I need to read it to see what all the fuss is about.
What about you? When the presents are opened, and you're stuffed with all the food you can eat, what books will you reach for? Let me know in the Comments.
All the STACKS staffers and I wish you a wonderful Christmas and a happy Winter Break full of lots of good books and plenty of time for reading!