December 26, 2009

Remembering 2009

Posted by at 8:50 am in News | Permalink

2009 Oh 2009! What a year it was! From political events that made history to the tragic deaths of many great entertainers, this is a year that will definitely make a showing in the pages of many books to come.

Here are the news stories that resonated most with me in 2009:

Obama's inauguration: Though it seems like so long ago, at the beginning of 2009, Barack Obama becoming the very first black president in history cannot be topped.

Death of Michael Jackson: Forever known as the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, one of the world's greatest performers passed away this year. Though he was only 50 years old, Jackson's musical and performing talent was celebrated in the film This Is It.

Swine Flu Outbreak: The one story that has certainly not diminished is the outbreak of the H1N1 virus. Originating in Mexico, it quickly spread around world, causing mass hysteria and extreme precautions. Fortunately the CDC (Center of Disease Control) acted rapidly by containing the cases, educating the masses and developing a vaccine for the American public.

Miracle on the Hudson: When I first heard that a plane had landed in the Hudson River in New York City, I thought to myself, “What in the world! Is that a real story?” Sure enough, the stories and the images started flooding onto the television as the entire country soon discovered that pilot Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger was a hero, saving over 150 people on board.

Jon and Kate Gosselin: While not the most uplifting story of the year, Jon and Kate had their share of air time. Whether their feuds and petty fights were publicly displayed on prime time news outlets, entertainment news shows or SNL skits, these reality television stars got plenty of fame.

Which news stories and/or events do you remember most in 2009?

—Carly M., STACKS Staffer

10. Twin Nieces birth’s
    11. Cousin’s wedding
    12. Sister’s announcing she’s having a baby
    13. Cousins engagement
    14. Other Cousins engagement
    15. Trip to Virginia and Philadelphia
    A lot happened this year, both sad, happy and unexpected… but welcome to 2010!! :)

2. CODY

It was one excellent year for Lady Gaga! She had four songs reach number one on the Billboard Hot 100 (LoveGame, Poker Face, Just Dance, Paparazzi); her album The Fame reached number one on the Billboard 200; she released her new album The Fame Monster; and she launched her Monster Ball Tour. And only she could do some of that in French. WOW!

3. harryp12345678

I remember all those events happening. There is one that you didn’t mention. When the lady who was reporting in China got arrested and she finally came home. But these are the ones that really stand out in my mind.
    1.I finish the Harry Potter series
    2.I go to the premiere of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.
    3.I meet tons of people who are obssesed with Harry Potter just like me.
    4. I get an email

4. Rachel

Things that I will remember in 2009:
    The Swine Flu outbreak
    My cousin was born!
    I started reading the Percy Jackson and Hunger Games series!
    MJ’s death
    Billy Mays’s death(WHY,WHY,WHY?)
    my 13th birthday!
    I started 8th grade!
    Obama’s inauguration
    The “Twilight” craze(honestly,why?)
    The release of Catching Fire!!!!!!!!!
    The release of The Last Olympian

5. kelsey

yeah i’ll never forget june 09 cuz i truned elven and two celebs died.wow that was so sad yet hrd to believe
    plus it was the year i started reading more vamp books an fell in love with them all.(yes they r YA books)
    a event i remeber is one everyone was talking about u know the taylor swift vs. kanye west.he was rude!

6. Summerlovergirl

2009 is TOTALLY a year I don’t think I will ever forget! There were the octuplets, 70th year of “The Wizard of Oz”, Diary of a Wmpy Kid #4, and so, so much more! Carly took a lot of mine! I have to agree with everything on her list. There were also some amazing songs out…
    Party in the USA-Miley Cyrus
    Fireflies-Owl City
    and lots more. I can’t believe the year is almost over!
    -Summerlovergirl

7. Levi

Oh! Poor Micheal! Did you know the doctors said that he was PERFECTLY healthy, if it wasnt for the overdose??? Some people disagree, So Im not opening any doors.

8. bluecookiedough

1. Balloon Boy Hoax: Now I know exactly what I need to do to get my own TV show!
    2. That woman attacking the Pope: She did it TWICE in 2 years while wearing the same outfit.
    3. The Couple that crashed Obama’s party: Lol, so stupid.
    4. Amanda Knox: I don’t believe she didi anything wrong.
    5. War in Iraq/Iran/Afganistan- So many people died this year it’s not even funny.
    6. Harry Potter 6: Only 2 more 1/2 movies left!
    7.Replacing David Tennant on Doctor Who: So sad! I love David Tennant. He’s been on there since 2005 I think. He is my favorite Doctor. He was also Barty Crouch Jr. in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
    8. OBAMA HAS DONE ABSOLUTLY NOTING IN OFFICE!!!!!
    9. Phineas and Ferb, Castle, In the Middle, Modern Family, and more. – My favorite TV shows of 2009.
    10. K. West vs. Taylor Swift- He was such an jerk to her. after she won that award.
    11. The Ressesion- It hit almost all of us hard. And those executives and their big planes, bonuses, pay days every day!
    Yeah that’s it for me. Cya. =D

9. aravi1

I think in 2009 some bad things happened and some good things happened but I think this year is okay. The biggest problem of 2009 is that Michael Jackson died and the swine flu happened. I think that when Barack Obama became president people liked him but now they don’t know what it is like.

10. girlsruletheworld

MJ AND OBAMA are on the top of MY list!!! OMG!!! huge moments! I will always remember where I was when I found out about MJ and I will ALWAYS remember watching Obama on TV!!!

11. bree2266

it is true that it was such a year…… sad deaths of people who entertained us…..and a new president in one year. So it was a very complicated year.

12. Crystal

Cool! :)
    Well, this didn’t make the headlines or anything, but my baby cousin was born this year. It really meant a lot to me… and plus, while staying with my cousins, we had a lot of adventures! :)
    Goodbye 2009. Happy New Year, everyone! Have a great 2010!

13. obiwancrazy

In 2009, Harry Potter 6 came out in movie form!!! Also this was the year I read the series, AND it was the year I started my new school.

14. manga eyes

I will DEFINITELY remember years from now the year 2009 and all the events that happened. I’ll never forget Obama’s inauguration, it was really amazing to see history in the making.

15. Abby

I definitely won’t forget about Michael Jackson’s death, either, especially since it’s only now that he’s dead that I’m hearing all his music.
    Also, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar had their eighteenth and nineteenth children this year, so that’s something.

16. giantlion

I remember:
    Obama`s inaugaration
    The Swine Flu outbreak
    Death of Michael Jackson
    And the death of Britnie murphy, ( When I heard it, it just got stuck in my head.)

17. Dollar

1. Obama’s inauguration (that was not very happy for me)
    2. The health care bill
    3. Swine flu
    That is my list of news stories, here is my list of things that happened to me:
    1. My nephew was born
    2. My nephew’s christening
    3. My brother’s wedding
    4. My brother and sister-in-law coming to visit.
    5. My grandpa’s death
    6. My grandpa’s funeral and burial.
    Overall it’s been a tough year, but filled with great surprises.