December 4, 2009

The Princess and the Frog Movie

Posted by at 7:04 am in Book to Big Screen | Permalink

KissTheFrog I have a confession: I absolutely love fairy tales. I love fractured fairy tales, modern fairy tales, regular old fashioned fairy tales, and I have always loved Disney animated fairy tale movies. (Sleeping Beauty is my favorite.) It's been a long time but there is finally a new one coming to theaters on December 11 called The Princess and the Frog (rated G). In the classic version of the tale, the princess lives in a castle somewhere in Europe, and the enchanted frog begs her to kiss him. He is really a handsome prince who was turned into a frog by an evil witch, and in order to break the spell, the frog must be kissed by a beautiful princess. But this movie does not go the traditional route! For one thing, it takes place in the bayous of Louisiana (is bayou a fancy word for swamp?), and the evil witch who cursed the prince is really a freaky voodoo witch doctor. And the kiss. . . well, let's just say things don't go as planned for either the prince or the princess!

What do you think? Very different from the original fairy tale, right? But it looks fun. If you want to print the movie poster, you can download it here (PDF).

Sonja, STACKS Staffer

Image: THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG (L-R) Frog Naveen, Princess Tiana ©Disney Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved

1. Nan-K

I hated it!!! It was way too much witchcraft for little girls and I watched other little girls in the theater and it didn’t hold their attention, my 4 year old daughter went to sleep on it and she loves the Disney Princess movies. Why so dark? Why did the prince have such horrible character? Why the need for a Voodoo Doll and Satan’s minions? So far from the princess movies in my collection, this one will stay in the store!

2. 27taco

I went to see the princess and the frog last night.It was so funny and so sad at the same time.My favorite parts were when Charalatesaid she nevers getts anything and the scene where mama odi appears!!!Made me laugh out loud!!!

3. kayleena

oprah i was watching the trailer on TV but….Oprah came on!!!she i mean is not veary cool no offense if you are a fan of her!!!

4. Candysplash

I would love to see the movie of ‘The Princess and the Frog’! After all,I’ve read the book a million times!

5. andyslibrary

I’m not into fairytales and all that, but this princess is my favorite princess of them all. She’s so different. :P

6. Wintermandmpancakes

That is so diff. I thought it would be like ok you kiss the prince and you fall in love. But i was weight off u kiss the prince and u turn into a frog that is so werid.I hope u the princess get back to your normal self.Please make a to please the movie is going to great.

7. iluvdavidcook

“Just…one kiss?”
    “Just one. Unless you beg for more.”
    ROFL. :D
    This looks really good! I love Disney movies. (:

8. firstborn99

Yo world this is my commet: Thoe I’m a little old for Princesses I must admit this is a must see. I mean come on peoples wacth the trailor! My mom wants to see it.

9. TheInky3

I am actually kind of insulted by this movie. okay, VERY insulted. The movie is based on the first book in an amazing series by E.D. Baker. Nowhere in the trailer or the official site is the book even mentioned. They changes the setting, time, the characters names ( Emma to Tiana! I mean, ‘comon!!!)and eliminated most of the characters. What is with all these movies made from books!! Why is NO credit being givien to the books or the authors?????

10. oneorangeshoelace

I’m pretty sure the thought process here was: You know what? I like New Orleans. There’s good doughnuts there. Let’s set it there. Oh, and everyone likes Lumiere, y’know, the candlestick dude from ‘Beauty and the Beast’. Let’s put him in here, only make him a frog. Yeah, and songs about believing in yourself.”
    But it looks cool. Seriously, it does.