December 10, 2009

Harry Potter Movie Cast Interviews!

Bonnie_tom

Our own Marie Morreale traveled to London to the film set of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I (the next Harry Potter movie as I’m sure you know!) where she nabbed EXCLUSIVE interviews with the cast. She must have the best job in the world right?

So. . . in celebration of the DVD release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (rated PG), we are bringing you an interview with Draco and Ginny. Err. . . Tom Felton and Bonnie Wright that is.

Q: Are you both happy about the way your parts got more important in the last book?
Bonnie: I definitely was happy where J.K. Rowling took the character of Ginny. I think if we were all told at the first film where our characters would end up, I don’t think any of us would have imagined. It’s just really enjoyable and sort of unnerving at the beginning when you do read the last book.
Tom: Seriously. When that came out I was like, I’m not going to read it. I’m going to wait for the script. I don’t want to be reading bits in the book and thinking, “I can’t wait to do that” and then find out it’s not going to be featured. And that lasted about an hour, and within it being released in a day I read the whole thing!

Q: Tom, originally you were auditioning for the role of Harry Potter.
DracoTom: Yes. I thought they would dye my hair a dark brown for Harry one week, then red for Ron for another week. The week after that, blond for Draco.
Q: So your blond hair’s not really blond?
Tom:
Seriously? No, definitely fake. It’s a painful routine where every week needs the roots touched up.
[Ratha: Ouch. Who knew being a blond could be so painful? And they say blonds have more fun.]
Q: What is your natural hair color?
Tom:
It’s been a while so I couldn’t tell you. But I’ve been told my eyebrows are the same as my natural hair color. So I’m looking forward to finding out whatever it is.
Bonnie: Brown.

Q: Tom, after this, would you like to switch from being the evil one to being the hero?
Tom:
Completely. I’d like to do anything that contrasts this as much as possible really. Anything that doesn’t involve blond hair would also be a plus.

Q: What’s the most amusing thing you’ve read [in the media] about yourselves?
Tom:
I was in Twilight last week. And I’m doing a Burberry campaign next week. So both of those things are untrue as far as I know.
[Ratha: Hmm, although I suppose Draco could make a good vampire…]

Q: Bonnie, what about you and James Phelps? Are you dating?
Bonnie:
[laughs] No, we’re just good friends. And I’m good friends with his girlfriend anyway.
[Ratha: James Phelps plays Fred Weasley. Could you imagine if Bonnie was dating her on-screen brother? Too funny!]

Q: Tom, have you ever experienced in real life that people think you are evil like your character?
Tom_feltonTom: Yes. There have been a few people that have not seen the difference between reality and the film. I had a gentleman, luckily I never met the guy, but he legally changed his name to Lucius Malfoy and wanted to adopt me. He sent me the adoption forms and wanted to change my name to Draco and we could all live [together]! Thankfully my mother declined his offer and I’m still at home.

Q: In Harry Potter 6, everyone’s in love except Draco.
Tom:
Oh what’s that? Can you believe it! I didn’t even realize all this stuff was going on because I was doing the whole evil walk down the corridor thing and when we saw the film everyone sort of. . .of course I’m jealous! I like to think Draco had offers but he was too busy with his evil task at hand.
Bonnie: Or they weren’t good enough.
Tom: This was it. Very high standards for Draco. I can’t imagine why any female on the planet would want to spend the day with him.

Q: Which of the other actors do you look up to?
Tom:
I look up massively to Dan [Harry], Rupert [Ron] and Emma [Hermione]. I think they hold the fort single-handedly so well. They’re all superb actors and they carry the feature through beautifully. And they deal with it like it’s nothing! I know we’re all here quite a bit, but they’re here religiously. Endless days, and yet Daniel takes it all in his stride and absolutely loves it. I always admire watching him on set.
[Ratha: Draco admires Harry! But not in the movie of course.]

Q: Bonnie, have you been nervous about kissing Harry Potter/Daniel?
Ginny_and_harry Bonnie:
I don’t know. I guess.
Tom: He was nervous, I think.
Bonnie: I guess when you read it in the book and you know inevitably this was going to happen, it’s kind of weird knowing down the line that’s where the characters end up.
[Ratha: SPOILER ALERT! Don't read the following sentence, unless you have read Book 7: The Deathly Hallows!]
It was surreal that someone you’ve known in a completely different way for so long suddenly you’re going to have to do this, and have three kids with.
[Ratha: OK SAFE TO READ AGAIN!]
Bonnie cont.: I think we know each other now though, so we don’t feel embarrassed. And that dynamic just makes it so much easier and much more natural I think. It just sort of comes together in a way that we can’t really explain.
[Ratha: Aaahhh. . . just like REAL magic.]

Q: Is there any particular scene from any of the books you wish you could have filmed but wasn’t filmed?
Tom:
They cut out actually very little. There was a thing in the second film where Jason [Lucius Malfoy] and I did a scene at Borgin and Burkes and it was the first time that it was father and son together. And that answered a lot to me why Draco is like that. Unfortunately it was never featured in the film. It was on the DVD as a deleted scene, so I got to watch it, which was cool. But no, everything else we’ve shot. Especially on these last two films. Everything — when I read the book I thought, “I can’t wait to shoot that.” It’s all there, so we’re very excited.
[Ratha: Deleted scenes. Chalk up another reason why DVD releases are so cool.]

Q: How would you describe J.K. Rowling?
Bonnie Bonnie:
I always find it so surreal meeting her. This whole world literally is because of one person.
Tom: She’s a very unassuming down-to-earth lady, the most lovely lady. I was always taken away by how genuine she seemed, and how unaffected by the fact that she’s probably the world’s biggest author.

Q: Do you have all the Harry Potter movies at home? Do you watch them from time to time?
Bonnie: Yeah, we’re always given lots and lots of copies every time they come out.
Tom: Yeah, plenty of DVDs. It’s cool. They play it on TV so much, I swear. It’s just kind of weird looking back at yourself when you were (high voice) speaking like this (normal voice) and then you were that tall.
Bonnie: We should have a little movie marathon. Maybe in, like, twenty years or something.
Tom: Yeah. I’ve never actually sat down and properly watched them from start to finish. It might be kind of cool one day.

I don’t know about you, but November 19, 2010 can’t come fast enough for me! (That’s the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I.) Let me know your thoughts on our exclusive interviews in the Comments. Personally, now I’m a big fan of Tom Felton. I never knew he was so cool! And look for MORE of our exclusive interviews to come, as the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I gets closer!

— Ratha, STACKS Writer

Interview by Marie Morreale
Photos from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures
Tom Felton photo by: Marion Curtis/Startraksphoto.com
Bonnie Wright photo by: Marion Curtis/Startraksphoto.com

1. crazypaintball654

harry rocks!I was so suprised when the Harry-Ginny thing began.My fav is Harry-Ron-50 50 Cho Chang-fred-lupin-tonks and uhh Ginny probaly.

2. Lydia

I like both Emma and Bonnie..I wish there would be more interviews of them..
    To Emma..”You look a lot different now..i think you have grown up so much..I ENVY YOU!!!” I wish someone would post photos of the casts when they were young !I am a huge fan of the series and the casts!

3. readingrocks4

OMG! I love the Harry Potter movies except the scaryish and creepy parts in the 5th, especially. I dunno about the 4th….
    Anyways, go Harry Potter actors!!! You guys and girls rock!Woo-hoo!!!

4. Paige

Tom is so cool, I’d love to meet him (in my dreams!) and he’s such a gentlmen. I hope with some twist of fate I can meet him some day. (I had no clue he wasn’t a natural blonde!)
    It is so weird watching with Hary Potter movies from start to finesh, it’s just funny seeing them from kids to adults…

5. Harry Potter Master

I LUUv u Bonnie Wright!!!!!
    HARRY POTTER IS MY LIFE!!! I’VE READ ALL THE BOOKS 300 TIMES. NO JOKE!!! I’VE WACTHED THE MOVIES 6000000. I HAVE SO MANY HARRY POTTER THINGS. A BOOK CASE FULL. HARRY POTTER ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. basketball-tomboy

Tom Felton is a great actor in this movie he did a good job showing he is on the inside a good person(atleast i think hes acually a good pearson on the inside).

7. hotrod

lol. tom and the whole adopption was so funny. i bet it must have been creepy. and how can you forget your oun hair color. lol

8. crazybball21

This was a great interview! I always thought that Tom Felton did an AMAZING job being Draco Malfoy (I didn’t know that his hair wasn’t blond! I don’t think I’d recognize him with dark hair!) I love Bonnie Wright as Ginny too, she definitely doesn’t get as much screen time as she deserves!

9. Callie

I LOVE YOU HARRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GINNY YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BOO DRACO!!!11

10. EmoHPfan

They both did an AMAZING job. I look up to them so much, someday i wanna be on the big screen… for now, its school plays etc. Can’t wait till the 7th!

11. LImah247

i liked the book alot it was more me.i have ever harrypotter book to name i have all the movies .the coustems . the cape some times i dress like him it well get to read this and like he opens up to me and understands.me hes an great.person i hope he

12. Angelica

I’d love to spend a day (or maybe only a few hours) with Draco Malfoy if I went to Hogwarts.
    That was a very cool interview. I love hearing things from people from movies, especially Harry Potter movies!

13. winternetball

Hahaha that was absoulutely awesome
    i have been waiting for sooo long for interviews!!
    and now they have come
    yay!!

14. Emma

I love Harr yPotter.Like them,I have every moovie.I also play the harp.I know the lady who plays it in the movies and I got the piano book so I know When ginny Kissed Harry and i played it for my school concert.My fav part in the vhbp movie is when ron gets possessed by the love potion.my friend and I laughed for a few minutes straight.But if I got a part in the deathly hallows I would be good to play Rose because I’m a really good actress!

15. jumpstar3

hi! i’m new to this whole thing. so if any body would want to be my firend that would be great. Ok with this post we r talikg about harry potter right? well i don’t really like his movies and them being couples it’s totally up to them when they r going to date or not

16. geounin3

cool. never thought Tom Felton could be nice,got so carried away by his wonderful acting.And I think blonde hair make him look cool.

17. 1# FAN OF HP & THE REST OF THEM!

I love the interview! I mean they are so cool they are.I hope at some point, the cast will read this. YOU ROCK HP, oh and GINNY AND DRACO AND FRED AND GEORGE AND HERMIONE AND RON AND…so on. Those guys are good, right world? Don’t worry everyone, I’ll always believe in magic. Harry Potter books and movies will always be my favorites! WHOSE WITH ME!!!
    (Oh, and J.K.Rowling is an awesome author!!!)

18. timmie

Wow i cant wait until the deathly hallows comes out. boy i really need to read the book again. for old time sake. i like the interview.

19. MagicSnowflake

When I grow up i seriously wanna be like Marie [although by that time HP would be all filmed...] Never mind, do u guys accept teens?

20. Kvmhbug

OH MY GOSH! You’re a fake blond! I always knew Rupert auditioned dressed up as a girl, but I never guessed you were a fake blond gosh wow! i AM UBER EXCITED ABOUT THE NEW MOVIE YOU GUYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THAN TWILIGHT! OH MY GOSH!! I LOVE THE MOVIES! And i have done a marathon for the sixth it ROCKED!!!!!

21. oneorangeshoelace

I’ve seen other interviews with some of the actors, and Tom Felton (Draco) seemed pretty awesome in real life, whereas Rupert Grint (Ron), while also pretty awesome, was also kind of… out there.

22. hermionegranger

i loved the interveiw. it gave me some time to the characrers better. I love the fact that you chose draco and ginny but what about Harry/daniel hermion and ron? they r part of the movie and book. thank you for letting us know a little more about harry pottter. it was the best books and movie i have seen and read in along time.
    Ttyl,
    hermionegranger
    p.s. if tom and bonnie r reading this i would like to join the marathon!!!:)

23. peppersneeze

my favorite character is Snape. even though he is supposed to be the evil-ish one,he is still the most kind of awesome one. except for Harry.

24. lollypopkid44

I am the bigest Harry Potter Fan ever. I can’t belive it is down to the last movie. I hope the movie is as good as the book.

25. ashleye

It’s hard to believe that Tom hasn’t watched all the movies from start to finish but I guess he doesn’t have to. I love their idea of a Harry Potter movie marathon only because I’ve had at least 7 of my own.

26. maria

i love the story so much that i want to read the last part and see the last movie love you harry potter see you in the movie ……………………….love maria blow kiss harry potter

27. Vivian

I love all the Harry Potter movies especially Harry Potter and the half blood prince. I found out who the half blood prince was it was the guy with black hair who teaches the dark arts class,(p.s.I still haven’t learned all of thier names.)

28. Sunshine_girl_3231

OMG I CANT WAIT OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously tho, I really can’t wait till pt1 and pt2. SEE U AT THE THEATERS PPLZ!!

29. 1padfoot

It was really cool. It’s cool to see how they have different personality than their character. I didn’t know Tom’s hair really wasn’t blond!

30. iluvHP

i wonder how someone can forget their real hair color. i think it’s brown, ‘cuz it obviously can’t be black, red, or blonde.
    i love bonnie!

31. Chrisya

Sorry…, I don’t like the film because it’s like a horror film for me. Too scary…couldn’t see it. I have to study for the all days…^^ Bye all!!!

32. emily

i think that was the best interview i have ever read it was so cool it was so funny too i hope there will be more harry potter cast interviews in the future who is your favorite character mine is fred

33. Isabella

I didn’t know that Tom’s hair was not blond. They are so funny and talented, especially Tom. Can’t wait until HP7!

34. katesicecearm1

the cute one is tottly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. HPfan4eva

Harry Potter is the BEST series ever, I love the 2nd half of the Deathly hallows. Bonnie did FANTASTIC is the Half Blood Prince.

36. Supersoldier

Bonnie Wright is actually a good Actress, instead of just a decent actress.
    Now, if only there’s a proper way to determine whether it’s Wright, Watson, or Lynch who’s the best Teenage Actress in all the movies, though, but that’s what the final 2 movies can be used for, right?

37. HarryRonHermioneFan23

Awesome! I absolutley love Harry Potter! When I read the interveiw, I was very happy to see that everyone is friends on the set. I love Harry Potter!

38. biblomania123

luv the interveiws! never knew the 7th part1 comes out on nov. 19 thats close to my sis b-day. we could see it for her b-day (i would anyway) i’ve allways wanted to do a movie marathon w/ harry potter i think i could do it 4 the last movie!!

39. marium

ahh that interview is very amazingly done :D , it just reminds me of yes man ( that movie with jim carrey), when they all dress up in harry potter costumes watching all the harry potter movies,i hope it’ll be like that in 20 years

40. Celia

Awesome interview! I love these two actors, they do a wonderful job with their characters. I think the idea of the HP actors having a movie marathon is brilliant! They should totally do that and film it and use it as a special feature on the Deathly Hallows disk. It would be HILARIOUS!!