December 30, 2009

Best Reads of 2009

Posted by at 5:11 am in Reads | Permalink

2009_130

At the end of the year I like to look back over my reading pile and think about all the books I've read. It gives me a sense of accomplishment to think "Wow! I really read a lot of books!" And I also like to think about which books stuck with me the most so I can add them to my growing list of lifetime favorite books. So here they are, the Best Books I've Read This Year (in the order I read them):

Graceling
Graceling
by Kristin Cashore (for ages 12 and up). I remember this time last year when I was reading everyone's best books of 2008, and Graceling kept showing up on every list. So it was the first book I read in 2009, and it is really really good. It's about a girl named Katsa who is a graceling. Gracelings are people who have a special power. It can be anything — like they are really good cooks, or dog trainers, or whatever. Katsa's grace is that she can kill anyone with her bare hands. Whoa! The prequel Fire is really good too (also for ages 12 and up).

9780439023498_med  Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (for ages 12 and up). To be honest, I didn't like this book as much as The Hunger Games (also for ages 12 and up) which is the BEST BOOK EVER! Maybe that's only because I will never like another book as much as The Hunger Games for as long as I live. But Catching Fire is still one of my favorite books of the year for sure, and I can't wait for Book 3!

Escape Under the Forever Sky
Escape Under the Forever Sky
by Eve Yohalem. This is a fictional story about an American girl who was kidnapped in Ethiopia. In this book, she escaped from her captors and survived alone in the wild when anyone else probably would have been eaten by lions. The lions actually helped her! This is a heart-pounding African survival story, and the part about being helped by the lions is actually based on a true story!

Saving the Ghost of the Mountain
Saving the Ghost of the Mountain
by Sy Montgomery. This book is about snow leopards, possibly the coolest animal on earth. They are called ghosts of the mountain because you can be looking right at them (with binoculars) and still not see them. They blend so well into their environment. They only live in the very remote parts of the Himalayan Mountains, so very few people have ever seen one in the wild.

Unfinished Angel
Unfinished Angel
 by Sharon Creech. I loved this book because it reminded me of The BFG by Roald Dahl. It's not about a big friendly giant, but it's about an angel who doesn't know what it's supposed to be doing. Then it meets a girl who starts telling it about problems in the town, and together they work to help. It's a really heartwarming story and also funny because the angel is pretty clueless and makes up words for stuff that it doesn't know the right word for (like the BFG). It's really cute.

Those were my favorites this year. I know I missed a lot, and there are still some books from 2009 on my To Be Read pile. What are your favorite books that you read over the past year? Tell me about them in the Comments.

image from kids.scholastic.com

— Sonja, STACKS Staffer

1. bria

hi um……… im new to this site so just let me know if you find any cool common books that is the new cool book omg111!111!111!111!

2. Hungry for more Hunger Games

Ok the best books on this earth (in my opinion)are The Hunger Games series. Me and one of my friends both read the two books and we are in love with them. I recommend this book to anyone who likes action and romance. These books are my favorite so far out of any books I have read in my life. I can’t wait for the third book to come out and I wish it would come out sooner because all I think about all day are these books. I know I’m kinda obsessed but these are really good!

3. rican1

let me tell you maria that book is the best book ever tell me why you hate it ok !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Thalia_Grace_Uber_Fan

You must read Claim To Fame by Margaret Peterson Haddix!I’m convinced she’s some sort of genius,because her books are so gripping and AWESOME!with cliffhangers and twists throughout them.Also,check out The Missing series,also by MPH.There are only 2 books in it so far,Found and Sent.They’re about time travel,but I won’t tell you any more.

5. superbrain123

I’ve never read any of those books and none look good.
    My Faves
    1.The Mysterious Benedict Society
    2.The Beacon Street Girls Series
    3. Nancy Drew
    4.Love, Ruby Lavendar
    P.S NEVER EVER read Family Under the Bridge!!!

6. ana30985

i love Percy Jackson and the Olympians series
    i can’t what till the lightning thief movie comes out on Feb. 12, 2010

7. Alexandra

I’ve already read Harry Potter, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and lots of other series. I have read about three fourth my library and i plan on starting a series called SAMURAI GIRL, This book is for 18 to 19 years but i’m allowed to read it even though I’m 10 and in Fifth Grade!!!!

8. Alexandra

I have no idea which are my favorite books as I’ve read a lot of books and I forget the book title though I don’t recommend you read “FEARLESS,” by Tim Lott because it’s a really sad book and I cried when I finished it.

9. Abby

ADDENDUM TO MY PREVIOUS ADDENDUM: I’m pretty sure it was chapter ten. It might’ve been chapter fourteen.
    …I’ll stop rattling now.

10. CODY

Although it was not as good as the other novels in the Inheritance Cycle, Brisingr was a good book. Inheritance used to be my favorite series until I read The Hunger Games. Its sequel, Catching Fire, is wonderful! All of these books are amazing…and The Hunger Games Trilogy now tops my favorite books of all time.

11. writermage

Cool! My favorite books that I read this year are:
    Skeleton Creek
    Ghost in the Machine
    Midnight Magic
    Murder at Midnight
    and the 6th-11th Avalon:Web of Magic books.

12. Abby

I absolutely loved Skeleton Creek. I thought it was amazing! But, no other series compares to the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. They ROCKED to INFINITY! (In order to understand some of what goes on in the series, I would recommend not reading MAX until you’ve read #1, The Angel Experiment. You might be a little lost otherwise.)
    I also really liked Gregor the Overlander and the Hunger Games, both by Suzanne Collins. If you prefer graphic novels and manga to words on a page, I read both the available editions of the Max Ride manga, and they were really good. However, because there is some bad language and a LOT of violence, they’ve rated it T for Teen.
    I haven’t finished reading these yet, but Uglies and Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld are both really good. Uglies is futuristic and Leviathan is an alternate-universe 1914. They’re cool.
    On another note, I absolutely HATED Daniel X by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge. The protagonist, Daniel X, was an all-powerful, perfect character with no weaknesses. I just couldn’t get into it.

13. Taytam4