November 28, 2009

Percy Jackson Movie vs. Book

Pjato_130 The Lightning Thief movie is coming out February 12, 2010. Of course we are all super-excited, but the big question for fans of the book is: Will it be a lot different than the book?

Here are 3 different answers from 3 key people who are very close to the book and the movie. . .

Brandon T. Jackson, the actor who plays Grover, has this to say:
“Of course you can go into more detail, but it’s already two and a half hours. And it’s not long in a bad way but there’s only so much you can put in it. I think that they got all the major points of the story. That’s what makes it really cool. Chris [Columbus] is such a great director because he had to do it in a way where it really is entertaining and is also — you can’t take everything from the book. You’ll get some flak from a lot of the kids who will say, “I didn’t expect Grover to look like this.” “I didn’t expect Alexander to look like this.” But when you take it for the entertainment value I think the movie comes out to be really really cool from what I saw. It sticks pretty close to the book with the characters and everything the way they are. It balances out well for entertainment value for people who haven’t read the book, and for people who have read the book you can go back and draw your own conclusions and have your own magical experiences.”

Logan Lerman, the actor who plays Percy, also weighs in:
“With portraying Percy I tried to keep it — I didn’t want to change that that much. Except for the fact that I’m a little bit older than the written character. But the truth is we changed a lot of the book. We changed a lot of things around to make the movie work because you have to make things a little bit different so it can be its own film and work on screen. We changed a lot of the things though. But I’m pretty sure that fans of the book will be able to appreciate Rick’s writing, and will still accept this as a different medium from the book that adds a whole different take on the book from another person’s eyes, from Chris Columbus’ vision and even makes it more grand, even more unique. It’s really cool.”

Rick_riordan And finally, Rick Riordan, the author himself offers his opinion of the movie on his blog:
“Will the movie be exactly like the book? Well to start with, I have never seen a movie that was exactly like the book it came from, so I think it’s safe to say no. Movies are a totally different medium. What you’ll be seeing is not The Lightning Thief book copied page for page onto the screen. What you’ll be seeing is Chris Columbus’ interpretation of The Lightning Thief story. . . Let the movie be the movie, and the books be the books, and try to enjoy the story without getting too worked up about any differences.”

So there you have it. What do you think? Will the movie be as good as the book? Let me know what you think in the Comments.

image from kids.scholastic.com

Sonja, STACKS Staffer

Brandon T. Jackson and Logan Lerman interviews by Marie Morreale

UPDATE January 29, 2010:
Check it out! We’ve got more Lightning Thief cast interviews!

1. Julia

omg im so angry i hated the movie compared to the book it was terible they left out alot of characters, main events, and they got the ages wrong logan wats his face already looks 16 so how is he spoused to turn 16 in the movie?? and annabeth is spoused to have blonde hair and they left out the scene with ares and omg i could say so much more but i wont the movie stunk they could at least take out the parts that didnt happen i mean come on they put in parts they never happened in the book that was the worst movie i had ever scene in my whole life!!!!!!

2. Lex 666

I love Percy Jackson and Logan Lerman very much! I hope he will be very good actor in his films. Good luck!!!
    P.S. I READ ALL 5 BOOKS WITHIN 2 DAYS! It wasn’t difficult for me. Ric Riordan is a very good writer! Thank you!

3. Emanual

I was really ticked off with the movie mostly because of the chase for the three orbs. There was no chase in the book period. Also i thought Percy’s mom stayed with Hades, not Grover. And didnt Ares give Percy the sheild, not Luke. AND SINCE WHEN COULD GROVER DRIVE!! The ending I can understand because they could just end a movie with him fainting from a scorpion sting, but everything else was just terrible. There’s a whole lot more I can complain about in this movie like for example, they didnt fight a hydra(5 headed-dragon) until book 2 or 3 (cant remember completely)

4. carlie

ok, so ive read all of the comments, and i think the people that said the movie was nothing like the book are right. the movie was soooo different and i would be really mad if i were rick, and i think he should really do something about the sea of monsters, especially if the creators are going to skim over everything like the lightning theif!!!

5. Mary

I hated the movie i’m a fan of the books i’ll list some of the folts in the movie.
    1. wrong story
    the story was wrong they don’t go looking for the perls but get givn them.
    2. missing charicters
    they missed all the importen’t charicters like kronos and tharlia and the bules,the list gose on and on.
    3. age
    the charicters are 12 in the first book not 16.
    4.look
    annabeth is a blond not a bronet. grover is white and has no strenth at all.
    add vise
    If the derector of percy jackson is reading this then I’ll tell you to chuse so diffrent acters deffently for annabeth chuse someone that has blond hair and is 12.

6. haley

i have seen it and it is realy good story and thecast he picked the wist and the ones how play the part the best

7. Devin

Dear Rick Riordan,
    My name is Devin I am Jillian’s nephew. She is 10 I am 4 almost 5. Jillian read parts of the book and they were really good. I really wanted to see the movie ,but it would be to scary. Devin

8. Jillian

Hi. I just adored your books they are sooooooooo good. I hope you right more Percy Jackson books. P.S The kids who werein my last year’s class picked a Greek God or Demigod,nd was that person for the rest of the year. That was half way through the school year. P.SS We had 10 people read your books in my class including me.Also We had a girl in my class read you P.J books 4 times before School ended. I am on my second time. Jillian.

9. Chris

I absolutely loved the books and believe me, I understand that movie versions are always going to be a little different… BUT…this movie was so completely different that it was a whole other story in itself. Other than character names, the movie didn’t resemble the book even a little bit. Some VERY key characters and scenes were completely ignored. It was a horrible adaptation and I was so disappointed that I wanted to return the dvd and get my money back. If the series is to be continued on screen, I sincerely hope they do some serious work in salvaging the rest of the books.

10. pinksummer2313

For the guy that just went to the Titan’s curse, YOU CAN’T!!!! Believe me, you’d miss a whole lot!!!

11. Carolyn

Personally, i have to agree with many of the comments above. When i first started reading the series, i was OBSSESED.I bought every single book in the series, and I gobbled them up (figureatively, of course). I’m presently re-reading the series, and I’m wating for my younger sister to finish the first book so we can watch the movie together.
    At first, I was really dissapointed with the cast choice. I watched Bridge to Terrabithia(sorry if i spelled that wrong),ani a agree with many of my friends that the kids who play leslie and jessie would be perfect for annabeth. I also think the little kid, Maxx, from wizards of waverly place would make a good grover. (emma watson for thalia?)but after reading the article above, I have to agree with the, too. No movie will ever be perfect, and no matter how the actors/actresses look, if they portray the charecter well, i’m happy.
    In all, im excited to see the movie, and I hope that chris columbus at least did a decent job with the storyline.

12. dylan

ok i am soooooooooo disipointed with the movie but i MUST say the book was the BESTEST book i have read and i hav read over 1,000 in 2 years. but Logan Lerman was CUTE

13. Cari

I still think that the movie should have stay true to the book! The movie was ok and all but the book as better and staying true to the book could have made the movie better. As a future film producer i honestly think the movie could have gotten better ratings,acknowlegement and publicity. Never the less Good Luck with the sea of monsters.

14. Iggy

I didnt really like the movie.. Opposition view now… I feel the way they made the movie is without foresight, as it does not pave the way well for the next few installments. On top of that, the removed ideas were too avid.. If it were a 4 hour movie, and it were about the same as the book, I would have rated it waaay higher.

15. Percy Jackson Lover (BOOKS ONLY!)

I’D READ THE BOOK ANY DAY!!!!
    The movie is NOTHING like the book! They totally ruined it!! and Worse of all, THEY LEFT OUT CLARISSE AND ARES! DO THEY KNOW HOW IMPORTANT CLARISSE IS????!!!!
    I WAS SO DISGUSTED WITH THE MOVIE, THAT AFTER WATCHING PART ONE, I COULDN’T WATCH IT ANY MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AND I MAJORLY HATE THAT ANNABETH IS OLD ENOUGH TO BE A MOM! I MEAN, FOR GOD SAKE, WHAT WILL YOU DO WHEN SHE TURNS THIRTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GO TO TARTARUS!!!!!!

16. erin

the moive left a lot of partes out that i would of loved to see. so i hope in the next movie it more like the book. Also i would of liked some 6 garder play the part but it ok.

17. random person

i love percy jackson soooooo much!i have read all the books at least twice and i still don’t find them the least bit boring. the movie is good but you know waht really sucks in the movie the drive. THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE TWELVE YEAR OLDS plus they completely changed the story line and left out Kronos

18. songcritic101

I cant believe the book is so different. i can name 10 things different, easy.
    1. Mr. D
    2. Clarisse
    3. Hades’s Helm
    4. Ares
    5. He new his dad was Posiden before capture the flag
    6. Annabeth was described as blonde and tan. in the movie, she’s white and brown haired.
    7. They didn’t ride with a zebra.
    8. they took out the giant chiwawa
    9. Kronos
    10. Oracle of Delphi
    sooooooooooooo mad.

19. Abraham

I have read all 5 of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books and they were GREAT!!! I loved each and every one of them! And when the movie cam out i was so excited to see it…..but it turned out it stunk!!!! They left so many good parts from the book that needed to be included and also changed the story completly to make it more entertaining!! What is wrong with HollyWood?!? They totaly messed up on the movie. Let me show some examples….first off they did not all of a sudden know who Percy’s dad was, second the never got in a fight with Anabeth, third they NEVER included Ares daughter, fourth they didnt show ARES, fith the lightning bolt wasnt in a shield and Percy and Luke never fought on little flying shoes!! Sixth the Lotus Casino wasnt like that, they didnt eat any flower cookie things tht made them stay there. Seventh they started off with three pearls. Eigth there was never a HYDRA in the book!!! Ninth they totaly messed up the look of the gods, especially Posideon and Hades. And then the most important thing in the book, THEY NEVER INCLUDED THE BLUE CANDY!!!! THIS MOVIE STUNK AND IT RUINED THE BOOKS IMAGE!!!

20. John W

I feel that Rick has sold his audience out… The movie was absolutely terrible. No chemistry of characters; completely changed characters (i.e Grover and Annaberth); poor story line – different to the book…
    Whilst I understand he didn’t write the script, he should have made an effort to keep the movie to fit the book. The changes were to noticeable.
    Rubbish!

21. poseidon fan

iv read the book and iv seen the movie.Movie wise i think that it is pretty good.Book wise it doesn’t show alot of deitals inbetween locations and they used alot of key fraises, not that it isn’t good but i would of followd the book more like there age, the acters did a great job i think