November 28, 2009

Percy Jackson Movie vs. Book

Pjato_130 The Lightning Thief movie is coming out February 12, 2010. Of course we are all super-excited, but the big question for fans of the book is: Will it be a lot different than the book?

Here are 3 different answers from 3 key people who are very close to the book and the movie. . .

Brandon T. Jackson, the actor who plays Grover, has this to say:
“Of course you can go into more detail, but it’s already two and a half hours. And it’s not long in a bad way but there’s only so much you can put in it. I think that they got all the major points of the story. That’s what makes it really cool. Chris [Columbus] is such a great director because he had to do it in a way where it really is entertaining and is also — you can’t take everything from the book. You’ll get some flak from a lot of the kids who will say, “I didn’t expect Grover to look like this.” “I didn’t expect Alexander to look like this.” But when you take it for the entertainment value I think the movie comes out to be really really cool from what I saw. It sticks pretty close to the book with the characters and everything the way they are. It balances out well for entertainment value for people who haven’t read the book, and for people who have read the book you can go back and draw your own conclusions and have your own magical experiences.”

Logan Lerman, the actor who plays Percy, also weighs in:
“With portraying Percy I tried to keep it — I didn’t want to change that that much. Except for the fact that I’m a little bit older than the written character. But the truth is we changed a lot of the book. We changed a lot of things around to make the movie work because you have to make things a little bit different so it can be its own film and work on screen. We changed a lot of the things though. But I’m pretty sure that fans of the book will be able to appreciate Rick’s writing, and will still accept this as a different medium from the book that adds a whole different take on the book from another person’s eyes, from Chris Columbus’ vision and even makes it more grand, even more unique. It’s really cool.”

Rick_riordan And finally, Rick Riordan, the author himself offers his opinion of the movie on his blog:
“Will the movie be exactly like the book? Well to start with, I have never seen a movie that was exactly like the book it came from, so I think it’s safe to say no. Movies are a totally different medium. What you’ll be seeing is not The Lightning Thief book copied page for page onto the screen. What you’ll be seeing is Chris Columbus’ interpretation of The Lightning Thief story. . . Let the movie be the movie, and the books be the books, and try to enjoy the story without getting too worked up about any differences.”

So there you have it. What do you think? Will the movie be as good as the book? Let me know what you think in the Comments.

image from kids.scholastic.com

Sonja, STACKS Staffer

Brandon T. Jackson and Logan Lerman interviews by Marie Morreale

UPDATE January 29, 2010:
Check it out! We’ve got more Lightning Thief cast interviews!

1. you

they took out the poodle and killer chihuahua. and most of all CLARRISE and the whole camp half blood was changed from the buildings to the activities they play. isn’t annabeth supposed to be on percy’s team in capter the flag. and isn’t luke supposed to call a hellhound into the camp not Hadese they changed the whole capture the flag game from people on whose team to how the people positioned eachother.

2. bobthebuilder

they changed the whole purpose of the movie. they completely left Kronos out of the movie. Therefore Lukes purpose was completely changed. Going from wanting to bring the gods to war to bring Kronos back to power. To wanting the demi-gods to come to power. There were very few similarities, and I have to write a compare and contrast paper between the book and the movie because my teacher paid for me to go see it. I am having a very hard time determining the important differences to the ones that don’t matter. It is taking me forever to find some similarities please help me thank you

3. Icebreather101

Hey guys! The movie was WAY different from the book series. Firstoff, the characters were different looking and the characters in the movie are older than they should have in the book. THE PROHACY!!! Second, it didnt show much detail and the only action part was with Medusa and the Minutaur. The director really should have foucused on the main plot on the book, which was finding the bolt, but he didnt give a big headline to it. Cal, i agree with you too! The books were fantastic and you would expext the same with me movie but sadly it didnt work out right. I spent my whole allowence just to see the movie but in the end, being a little dissapointed. I the movie, they jump to conclusions just to make it BOOM get it? WEll, thanks! ^_^

4. percyj99

I saw the movie, although it was absolutely NOTHING like the book, it still rocked. At the end, I almost thought that Annabeth and Percy would kiss, but I was SO relieved when they didn’t.
    The Kane Chronicles aren’t sounding as appealing as PERCY JACKSON, but then again, I may be surprised.

5. ahlam

i think that the movie was better than the book. Anyways if you seen the movie, i figured why they said not to look into Madosa’s eyes because if you do the people in the theaters might think that they will turn into stone by her.

6. writersrule101

i am probably never watching the movie,even though i read the book and it was awesome. it seems like every time i watch the movie of something i read it takes the imagination out of it!!! they always leave out tons of important stuff and make it way different!!! i like how when u read a book u can guess how every1 and everything looks and envision it the way that suits u. thats why i like 2 read.

7. Famkas20

I haven’t seen the movie yet,but lots of my friends who saw it say they didn’t like it. They said it missed some really important stuff. I am already finished with the first so i don’t think i’ll be seeing the movie. At least till i forget the whole book then there’s a possibility.

8. short_ninja

i LOVED the book it was sooo awesome but the movie missed so much good stuff! they even forgot ares and his shield at the waterpark and hades totally didnt look how i imagined.they didnt even introduce kronos, and he’s like the main villan! and you’re right annabeth is supposed to like luke! plus, annabeth is supposed to be blond and she and percy are supposed to be twelve. its not that hard! the movie wouldve been good for someone who didnt read the book, but since i did, i hated the movie

9. ihatethemovie

A list of what they missed in the movie:
    Clarisse,
    Ares,
    Thalia(How theire going to make the sea of monsters??),
    Kronos(How theire gonna make number 5?),
    Annabeth’s blond hair,
    where did theyget the ideas for he pearls???,
    Waterpark,
    Cerberus,
    Charon’s pay rise,
    Mr.D!!! (Dyonysus),
    Annabeth is suposed to like Luke!,
    They weren’t suposed to use the bolt.,
    Oh ya, they forgot the Oracle(How theire gonna make Rachel???),
    Grover is suposed to get searchers licence(How theire going to make the sea of monsters??),
    Can you hear me out there Rick?? Re-make the movie!!PLZ!!!!
    P.S. I hated the movie and loved all books, I cant wait for book 6 (next series).

10. Rachel

First off,the movie was AWESOME but completely different from the books.Sure,it still had the loose “kid finds out that he’s the son of Poseidon,goes on a quest to get Zeus’s lightning bolt back.” plot,but almost EVERYTHING else was different!I was so mad with the writers of the movie!I’m glad they put the “Gabe gets turned into a statue by Medusa’s head” scene,though.That was awesome.In the movie theater where I saw it with my 3 friends,pretty much everyone were teens or adults.Almost no kids in there.Does that say something about the target audience?The movie was definitely not for little kids,more for teens.All in all,it was a surreal experience seeing an awesome book come to life,even if it failed in book-movie transitioning.My opinion: Stand-alone movie:100 stars! Book-to-movie:1 star.I hope they make the sequel at all,and if they do,make it at least a little more accurate than this one.

11. Carrie

This is NOT Percy Jackson. Hydra (not in this book)? No Kronos? Luke being talked to over the computer, where is the Iris message? Basics are laking like Percy is 12 and Annabeth has blond hair. How hard it that to stick to? Totally disappointed. Why change such a great thing?

12. demigod fan

The movie was ok…if you haven’t read the books. If you have, then by the end you, like me, will be disgusted and wondering how they could dare call this movie the same name. Change everything (almost) about the the book- then call it a different name because it is not AT ALL the same thing. The book is involved and makes sense, and the movie skims everything and eliminated all the best parts of the book! Don’t tell me you couldn’t get that involved in the storyline- Harry Potter manages to stay fairly true to story, and no one cares that they are 3 hours long, because they WANT to see the story they love on the big screen. Badly done, Riordan, you should have insisted they did things the right way or not at all. Take a lesson and do SEA OF MONSTERS right.

13. gylfie97

where’s clarisse? where’s echidna? what’s up with the character’s ages? They left out some of my favorite things!!!!!!!!!! the movie is awesome in it’s own, non-booky way though…

14. A.J.

Yo wass up!yea dude i totally agree
    they changed so much in the movie. Annabeth-brown hair?!
    Pearls-Lotus casino,medusa’s lair, Parthenon?! The parthenon wasn’t even in the book! and pj’s mom stays, not grover!? persephone- not in book!? arch in St.louis wasn’t in the movie! procrustes wasn’t either! is Riordan happy ?! I wouldnt be

15. evb6

The movie was waaaaaaaaaay better than the book. The movie was awesome and I did’nt expect them to go to the Underworld. And I did’nt expect the whole movie to be about them going to the Underworld. I hate that Luke is the Lightning Thief.

16. Mrs. C

OMG! Nothing like the book. I am a teacher and a mother of a teen boy. I read the series at the recommendation of my son. I loved the whole series and I was soooooo looking forward to seeing the movie. It was a fun movie for kids who have never read the book, but those kids (and their parents) that actually read the book were disappointed. From the aging process and the change of venue and key players…I feel (and my kid) betrayed. A quote I read from a young fan…. “not sticking completely to a Potter book…understandable, the books are 1,000 pages each…Not coming close on a book 350 pages long…not forgivable.” I feel the same! :-(

17. jake

books books books i love books i love love love BOOKS!I AM 10!!!!!!!Percy Jackson is a very intresting BOOK and im looking forward to the movie. A movie cant capture everything about a BOOK but im very happy.I LOVE BOOKS I LOVE THEM THEIR SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. thank you