November 28, 2009

Percy Jackson Movie vs. Book

Pjato_130 The Lightning Thief movie is coming out February 12, 2010. Of course we are all super-excited, but the big question for fans of the book is: Will it be a lot different than the book?

Here are 3 different answers from 3 key people who are very close to the book and the movie. . .

Brandon T. Jackson, the actor who plays Grover, has this to say:
“Of course you can go into more detail, but it’s already two and a half hours. And it’s not long in a bad way but there’s only so much you can put in it. I think that they got all the major points of the story. That’s what makes it really cool. Chris [Columbus] is such a great director because he had to do it in a way where it really is entertaining and is also — you can’t take everything from the book. You’ll get some flak from a lot of the kids who will say, “I didn’t expect Grover to look like this.” “I didn’t expect Alexander to look like this.” But when you take it for the entertainment value I think the movie comes out to be really really cool from what I saw. It sticks pretty close to the book with the characters and everything the way they are. It balances out well for entertainment value for people who haven’t read the book, and for people who have read the book you can go back and draw your own conclusions and have your own magical experiences.”

Logan Lerman, the actor who plays Percy, also weighs in:
“With portraying Percy I tried to keep it — I didn’t want to change that that much. Except for the fact that I’m a little bit older than the written character. But the truth is we changed a lot of the book. We changed a lot of things around to make the movie work because you have to make things a little bit different so it can be its own film and work on screen. We changed a lot of the things though. But I’m pretty sure that fans of the book will be able to appreciate Rick’s writing, and will still accept this as a different medium from the book that adds a whole different take on the book from another person’s eyes, from Chris Columbus’ vision and even makes it more grand, even more unique. It’s really cool.”

Rick_riordan And finally, Rick Riordan, the author himself offers his opinion of the movie on his blog:
“Will the movie be exactly like the book? Well to start with, I have never seen a movie that was exactly like the book it came from, so I think it’s safe to say no. Movies are a totally different medium. What you’ll be seeing is not The Lightning Thief book copied page for page onto the screen. What you’ll be seeing is Chris Columbus’ interpretation of The Lightning Thief story. . . Let the movie be the movie, and the books be the books, and try to enjoy the story without getting too worked up about any differences.”

So there you have it. What do you think? Will the movie be as good as the book? Let me know what you think in the Comments.

image from kids.scholastic.com

Sonja, STACKS Staffer

Brandon T. Jackson and Logan Lerman interviews by Marie Morreale

UPDATE January 29, 2010:
Check it out! We’ve got more Lightning Thief cast interviews!

1. K

Just to let you guys know. One of the reasons that the actors are so much older than the characters is because they changed the ages of the characters for the movie. (they will be 18 or 16 I forget which)
    The reason the characters ages are changed is that they can’t have 12 year olds running around with swords and shooting arrows. So they decided to make Percy and Annabeth be in High School.

2. Jane

When I first saw the teaser trailer I was like, this percy is too cool-looking! This Annabeth looks too soft and brunette! This Grover is too old! But then I feel if the actors really act into it, they might make it work. I can’t wait! I am a HUGE bookworm and Percy Jackson fan! WHOO!

3. puppy9298

I REALLY LOVE THE PERCY JACKSON SERIES. BUT WHEN I SAW THE TRAILER FOR THE MOVIE,THEY KIND OF CHANGED THE PLOT OF THE BOOK. ALSO PERCY AND ANNABETH DO NOT KISS!!!IN THE BOOK, ANNABETH HATES PERCY AND CALLS HIM A SEAWEED BRAIN!! BUT STILL, I THINK THE MOVIE WILL BE AWESOME!! AND I THINK SEAN BEAN WILL BE EXALTLY LIKE ZEUS. BUT POSEIDON DOES NOT LOOK LIKE THE ONE THAT IREAD IN THE BOOK. BUT I THINK ITS REALLY GREAT THAT THEY MADE A MOVIE FOR THIS. I JUST STARTED READING THE WHOLE SERIES WHEN I SAW LIKE ALMOST ALL THE KIDS IN MY SCHOOL TALKING ABOUT IT. AND NOW I JUST BECAME THE NUMBER ONE FAN OF PERCY JACKSON. I THINK LOGAN LERMAN WILL DO GOOD ON THE MOVIE. THEY KINDA MESSED UP ON ANNABETH AND GROVER. I ALSO WATCHED THE ALL THE MOVIE TRILERS OF THIS LIKE AGAIN AND AGAIN! I HOPE THEY MAKE ALL THE 5 MOVIES LIKE THE BOOKS!!!I ALSO THINK LOGAN LERMAN SHOULD HAVE GREEN EYES BECAUSE PERCY HAS GREEN EYES!!PERCY LOOKS SO CUTE ON THE MOVIE TRAILLERS!!!! IM SOO EXITED TO WATCH THIS MOVIE. I KNOW PEOPLE ARE READING MY COOMENT AND THINKING THIS IS LONG,BUT I LOVE SPENDING THIS TIME WRITING THIS BECAUSE IM A HUGE FAN OF PERCY AND LOGAN I THINK I HAVE A CRUSH ON LOGAN IN THE MOVIE AND PERCY IN THE BOOK!IM WRITING THIS TO TELL THAT PEOPLE SHOULD TOTALLY READ THE BOOKS ANND WATCH THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. estefany

i am obssesed with Pjo Series i think they are awesome…. i cant wait for the movie. i have read all the books and i fell in love with them..
    when i first saw the movie trailer i didnt recignize it..but then im like OMG!!!!!!! i coulnt breath..i was shocked and i started screaming …. i just cant wait iam really excited

5. MythTeacher

I hope the movie is good. I think of how much Eragon the movie differed from the book and cringe. My students are upset about the changes-especially that Annabeth is not blonde, and that the actors are older-and they have not even seen it yet! How fast they forget what made Harry Potter great was that the cast was as described in the book! Ultimately the vote will be cast by ticket sales.

6. halley

i am a really big fan and i can not wait for the movie!!! the cast really is cast well and i really like logan lerman as percy!! Everybody knows movies and books never are the same. someof the little things may bugyou but just enjoy that they made it a movie!!

7. karen

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO exited. hi, i am karen iam a 10 year old i have read all the books at least 5 times!THE LIGHTNING THIEF is the one that started it all!

8. Amber

I am one of the biggest PJO fans ever!!! I found it Last year because everyone was reading it so i decided “sure? Why not?” I LOVED it! when my friend and I went to see Harry p. 6, the commercial started and we were both squealing and jumping in our seats! But then I saw the other trailers and went online I found out how awful it would be! I’m only glad now that the movie will give it some much-needed fame.

9. Madison

The only thing bugging me is appearance. I don’t necissarily mind grover, i think he actually looks pretty snazzy! but annabeth….idk, it wouldn’t have killed them to dye her hair blonde! and, i’m sorry but in the trailers i’ve seen she seems waaaaaay to warrior…i mean annabeth was always a fighter but i don’t recall her being so agressive! her biggest strength was always her logic….so idk….and they don’t kiss till later on..so i don’t like her whole “I definantly have strong feelings for you, i just havn’t decided if there positive or negative”

10. :(( sad

What the heck, im super disappointed, i didnt think Grover would look that.
    Annabeth is supposed to be blonde. Logan and Alexandra dont look good together.
    Besides the cast everything else seems good.
    The gods pretty much looked like what i thought they would, LOGAN IS CUTE! I mean Percy :) I enjoyed the series. I HOPE MR. RIORDAN WRITES MORE :D

11. Madison

I’m very excited for this movie! my cousins introduced me to the books, and my eleven year old cousin let me borrow them. at the time she was staying at my house for that present week. she’d allready read the books, but as i read them, she insisted i read them out loud. withing 5? or was it 4? days we had read all five! it was one of the funnest weeks i’d ever had! i’m a reader to the max, and this story was everything i love in a book, romance, action, mystery, friendship, bravery…you name it, it has it! Anyway, the movie deffinantly won’t be the same, but like others have said, the movie will still be good in its own, unique way.

12. N

Percy jackson and the olymians is the best book I read so far I mean its awesome Rick Riordan makes everything look so real I imagined it in my brain i hope the mmovie is at least a little the same and I hope they make a sea of monsters movie and all the other books in the series

13. Marisa

I saw the trailer and Annabeth is way different. She was supposed to have curly blonde hair not straight brown hair. Oh well. Even if it isn’t as good as the book, it will be better than the first Twilight.
    Hail the Olympians!!

14. Dionna144

hey, i didn;t get to read the book and that im not trying to read the book but i have it in my class room but i want to see the movie. i agree with carl that the book will teachyou about many greek gods that you never knew about. I hope that when you see the movie or read the book that it will truly tell about many greek gods that we didn’t know about.

15. case girl

So I am in love with the ligtning thief book.It was one of the books on the school reading list and all my friends read it so i gave it a try.Turns out im on my way to the 5th book!Now I got my cousin in it and we cant wait for the movie!!!!!Just like you.

16. Muttman

I think Chris Columbus is putting a council in it, because there are 12 gods and goddesses, but he put PERSEPHONE AND HADES on it!

17. Rachel

I don’t care if they change minor things or not,it’ll just be amazing to see my favorite book on the big screen.Other than that,I have 3 things to say.One,will they mention Thalia? 2,me and my 2 best friends are uber-psyched to see it!Only 50-some more days!And,finally,I really hope they make movies of the other books.Tyson,Nico,and Thalia rule!

18. Teddy

I only saw two trailers but it still looks like a pretty good movie but Im still waiting for my mom to get me book four and five so Im not sure how the whole series will turn out personaly i think book two is the best

19. Abby

I could totally see “The Only One” by Evanescence on the soundtrack for the movie. Especially because of this:
    “All our lives
    We’ve been waiting
    For someone
    To call our leader.”
    Doesn’t that sound like how people at Camp Half-Blood think of Percy and the whole prophecy, since he’s supposed to, like, save Olympus?

20. Chrisya

Sorry for all of the guys here…I even don’t know what the story’s about. Can you tell me what kind of story is it? Is it an adventure??? Thankz…~.~