September 30, 2009

Face-Off: Candy Apple and How I Survived Middle School

Candyapplevshisms

This morning I tied a bright pink scarf around my neck to brace against the autumn weather that's (sort of) descended upon New York City. When I got to work and glanced at the towering stacks of books that are slowly taking over my office, I realized something: my scarf is the same exact shade of pink as the Candy Apple logo.

Fate? Maybe. I was, after all, about to write this very blog post about how much I love tween books like Life, Starring Me! and Accidentally Famous and, of course, the entire How I Survived Middle School (HISMS) series. And then as I took off my scarf (it's kind of warm in here in the mornings) I got to thinking, wow, the Candy Apple and HISMS books are similar in a lot of ways, with characters I can relate to, school problems I totally remember, and plot lines that make me stay up late reading. And THEN, readers, I decided to compare the two series in a one-on-one competition.

I've narrowed down the choices in this first ever face-off between these two favorite series. Take a look, and let me know in the comments which ones get your vote!

Funniest Title:

Secretsanta
vs.
MiddleSchool1

Candy Apple's Confessions of a Bitter Secret Santa

HISMS #1: Can You Get an F in Lunch?

Most Eye-Catching Cover Art:

Candy Apple's Callie for President

HISMS #10: Into the Woods

Best Secret Identity:

Candyapple11

vs.
F2591_howisurvived_4cc
Andie and Caitlin in Candy Apple's The Sister Switch Madame X in HISMS #3: I Heard a Rumor

As for me, it's a toss-up. I can't decide! Luckily, there's enough intrigue, drama, hilarity and homework in all of them!

— Morgan, Scholastic staffer

1. pinkdrama201

i HATE candy apple books but i am, in love with how i survived middle school books i’m all ready for middle school

2. crazyrainbow12

I LOVE READING BOTH CANDY APPLE BOOKS & HOW I SURVIVED MIDDLE SCHOOL BUT I THINK I LIKE HOW I SURVIVED MIDDLE SCHOOL BOOKS BETTER.

3. Jadeprincess3

well, first of all, i think some candy apple books are much more realistic than HISM, but since HISM is just one on going series, and candy apple is, like, a whole bunch put together, the tables often turn.

4. Zoe

i think Candy apple STINKS how i survived middle school rocks. How i survived middle school even has a really awesome tips and quizzes. It helped me get popular. (im not mean though me & my friends are really close BFF’s

5. Kayla

How I survived in middle school is for sure the best versing Candy Apple… But, there both good… But middle school rules!

6. chocalategirl

Funniest- Can you get an F in lunch?
    Best Cover- Miss Popularity Goes Camping
    Character- Cheat Sheet
    Plot- Callie For President
    Idendity- I Heard A Rumor

7. Fafa

I feel so old…! I read the HISMS in the fifth grade through sixth. I was fairly entertained, but after a while, I have to say the books lost their magic. Things become predictable; the Pops are the bad guys, a friend is in need, she takes a quiz, everyone is happy. No romance, no surprising twists, no cliff-hangers.
    On the other hand, I’m pretty old and I still secretly love the Candy Apple books. I own fifteen of them, and I own most of the HISMS books.
    My vote is for Candy Apple. :)

8. Nikki

1.Can u get an f in lunch
    2.caught in the web
    3.Jenny
    4.callie 4 president
    5.Andie and catilyn
    in my opinion candy apple seems like it kinda copied HISMS a little bit and it not very orginal…

9. playfulpig

I absoulutely love these books. I’m a total reader (that’s why I’m on here)!!!!! Check out my profile (playfulpig) and friend me:):):):)

10. Hanna

HISMS for funniest title, Candy Apple for most eye-catching cover art, Candy Apple for coolest character, Candy Apple for juiciest plot line, Candy Apple for best secret identity.

11. cheetahdancer

Funniest Title- Can you get an F in lunch?
    Most Eye-Catching Artwork- Miss Popularity goes Camping
    Coolest Character- Aubrey from Making Waves
    Juciest Plot Line- Into the Woods
    Best Secret Identity- Andie and Caitlin in The Sister Switch
    I think Candy Apple and How I Survived Middle School are good series!