September 30, 2009

Face-Off: Candy Apple and How I Survived Middle School

Candyapplevshisms

This morning I tied a bright pink scarf around my neck to brace against the autumn weather that's (sort of) descended upon New York City. When I got to work and glanced at the towering stacks of books that are slowly taking over my office, I realized something: my scarf is the same exact shade of pink as the Candy Apple logo.

Fate? Maybe. I was, after all, about to write this very blog post about how much I love tween books like Life, Starring Me! and Accidentally Famous and, of course, the entire How I Survived Middle School (HISMS) series. And then as I took off my scarf (it's kind of warm in here in the mornings) I got to thinking, wow, the Candy Apple and HISMS books are similar in a lot of ways, with characters I can relate to, school problems I totally remember, and plot lines that make me stay up late reading. And THEN, readers, I decided to compare the two series in a one-on-one competition.

I've narrowed down the choices in this first ever face-off between these two favorite series. Take a look, and let me know in the comments which ones get your vote!

Funniest Title:

Secretsanta
vs.
MiddleSchool1

Candy Apple's Confessions of a Bitter Secret Santa

HISMS #1: Can You Get an F in Lunch?

Most Eye-Catching Cover Art:

Candy Apple's Callie for President

HISMS #10: Into the Woods

Best Secret Identity:

Candyapple11

vs.
F2591_howisurvived_4cc
Andie and Caitlin in Candy Apple's The Sister Switch Madame X in HISMS #3: I Heard a Rumor

As for me, it's a toss-up. I can't decide! Luckily, there's enough intrigue, drama, hilarity and homework in all of them!

— Morgan, Scholastic staffer

1. BirdBee4

THE candyapple books are like a real life thing.
    But,HISM ARE COOL i LUV them SOOOOO MUCH ( I CANT STOP READING THEM)

2. shaira

how i survive middle school is the BEST
    best title hisms
    most eye catching cover hisms
    almost all my answer and all my answers were all hisms

3. Jade

I love both of the series’s stories because they’re funny and interesting. My class has AR READING, so most of the books I read are Candy Apple or How I survived middle School. Good job, and keep writing those awesome books!

4. Annabelle

I love all the Middle school books! I’v almost read them all. Whenever we go to the library at school or some place else, I always look for these books. In fact,I have one sitting on my lap right now!!

5. shopfreak

welcomes younger or older people im an official 6th grader or newbie of middle school. HISM is totally true and it is awesome so HISM is better but Candy Apple gives GREAT boy advice

6. Alliyah

HOW DO PEOPLE BECOME FAMOUS BY SELLING AND WRITING BOOKS CAUSE I REALLY DO WANT TO KNOW HOW TO WRITE A BOOK THEN SELL IT THEN BECOME REALLY FAMOUS !!!

7. Alliyah

I wonder where the author sells the candy books the most of all at any other stores in the whole other WHOLE WIDE WORLD !!!!

8. ALLIYAH

I really want to hear about it and read about it of apple books even i want to read How I Survived In Middle School of Cheat Sheet and I Heard A Rumor. Because if i get those books and read them i bet that the new books are going to be the best books i had ever read in my whole life !!! So i hope that when i ask my mom if we can go to the store and by the new books witch is the books of A Candy Apple Book

9. posideon