September 30, 2009

Face-Off: Candy Apple and How I Survived Middle School

Candyapplevshisms

This morning I tied a bright pink scarf around my neck to brace against the autumn weather that's (sort of) descended upon New York City. When I got to work and glanced at the towering stacks of books that are slowly taking over my office, I realized something: my scarf is the same exact shade of pink as the Candy Apple logo.

Fate? Maybe. I was, after all, about to write this very blog post about how much I love tween books like Life, Starring Me! and Accidentally Famous and, of course, the entire How I Survived Middle School (HISMS) series. And then as I took off my scarf (it's kind of warm in here in the mornings) I got to thinking, wow, the Candy Apple and HISMS books are similar in a lot of ways, with characters I can relate to, school problems I totally remember, and plot lines that make me stay up late reading. And THEN, readers, I decided to compare the two series in a one-on-one competition.

I've narrowed down the choices in this first ever face-off between these two favorite series. Take a look, and let me know in the comments which ones get your vote!

Funniest Title:

Secretsanta
vs.
MiddleSchool1

Candy Apple's Confessions of a Bitter Secret Santa

HISMS #1: Can You Get an F in Lunch?

Most Eye-Catching Cover Art:

Candy Apple's Callie for President

HISMS #10: Into the Woods

Best Secret Identity:

Candyapple11

vs.
F2591_howisurvived_4cc
Andie and Caitlin in Candy Apple's The Sister Switch Madame X in HISMS #3: I Heard a Rumor

As for me, it's a toss-up. I can't decide! Luckily, there's enough intrigue, drama, hilarity and homework in all of them!

— Morgan, Scholastic staffer

1. Tamara

I read Rumor has it from the candy apple series and i loved it but then i started reading another one of the books and i thought it was boring but i read like 8 of the How i survived middle school series and i loved all of them so Nancy Krulik if your reading i just want you to know that dont stop making all the books cause their all wicked awesome ;)

2. Jessica

I do like both series but i think i like hism better because well theres everything i like drama,quizzes,girly stuff, hey whats not to like but i have read drama queen from the candy apple series but t took me a long time to read it and i will admit i like it but i didnt like the ending cause it was boring ad iv read 6 books of hism series and i liked it way better

3. Laurie

Candy Apple is so the winner. Middle school seriously isn’t a big deal go candy apple! PS there are so many CA’s it makes HISMS seem bad

4. ninjapanda3

i vote for hisms i really like those books though i never read the others they just don’t look interesting to me so i probably won’t read them but i will try.

5. Sari B

Its a hard choice but I have to go with How I survived Middle School, It seems more atracting and casual to me. I myself is in middle school, The Candy Apple books are really good, but they get more boring along the way I once finished 5 HISMS books in a day, and 5 candy apple books in two weeks, as you can tell I think How I survived Middle school is better by far. :) ,
    Love,
    Sari

6. monkeysurfing

i love both series but HISMS wins! it is hilarious and original.
    My favorite candy apple book has to be The Boy Next Door!
    My favorite HISMS is a tie between Can you get an F in lunch(of course!) and Into the Woods!

7. posidon7

i have never read candy apple books,i want to, but i think that HISMS books are sooooooooooooooooo awsomely awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. michelle

deffenently how i survived middle school! i love them! i am in middle school and i can relate to jenny McAfee. she is the best!

9. danceart

Both books are great,but i have to say my favorite is How I survived Middle School.The reason why is because it will help me more in school.I think HISMS is more of a book that you can use in real life and Candy Apple I think is more of just a fun book and not really a guide in middle school. In my opinion I would like HISMS.Bye

10. chaninoodle

funniest title:can you get an f in lunch
    most eye catching cover: miss popularity goes camping
    coolest character:jenny
    juiciest plot line: Calli for prez
    best secret identity:madame x

11. Angie19=^-^=

I love <3 the series. Candy Apple and How I Survived Middle School. Does any one know if there going to make a movie????

12. Julie

I like both series, but I like HISMs better, because it shows that anyone can survive middle school. I can relate to the series. I had a friend, but she dumped me. I could almost be like Jenny,
    but I learned to just be yourself.

13. Connie

Funniest title:Can you get an F in lunch?
    Coolest Chracter:Cheat Sheet
    Most Eye Catching Cover:Caught in the Web
    Juiciest Plot Line:HISMS-Into the Woods
    Best Secret Idenity:Sister Switch
    I like both books alot but i dont like all of the candy apple books like callie for president!!! But i do like all the HISMS you can relate to almost to what is happening in school and the quizzes are reallly fun to take!!

14. Michelle

I THINK HOW I SURVIVED MIDDLE SCHOOL IS THE BEST BECUZ THE BOOK GIVE U TIPS AND WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN WEN U GO TO MIDDLE SCHOOL ALL OF NANCY KULIK BOOK ARE AMAZING. I HOPE SHE WIN THE CONTEST :]

15. Starrninjarawr

I can’t decide!I love the Candy Apple books,but I also love the How I Survived Middle School books!I read more How I Survived Middle School books,so I would have to say they are better.

16. Lolipop

I think that Candy apple just might be better! (no offense!)i really like Miss Popularity Goes Camping, as well as the first book, Miss Popularity. Both series are awesome!

17. emokid43

even though these books are for girls,I’m gonna post anyway. I survived middle school,and it was horrible! but these books make it looke fun so,….idk whatelse to write!! speechless.