September 30, 2009

Face-Off: Candy Apple and How I Survived Middle School

Candyapplevshisms

This morning I tied a bright pink scarf around my neck to brace against the autumn weather that's (sort of) descended upon New York City. When I got to work and glanced at the towering stacks of books that are slowly taking over my office, I realized something: my scarf is the same exact shade of pink as the Candy Apple logo.

Fate? Maybe. I was, after all, about to write this very blog post about how much I love tween books like Life, Starring Me! and Accidentally Famous and, of course, the entire How I Survived Middle School (HISMS) series. And then as I took off my scarf (it's kind of warm in here in the mornings) I got to thinking, wow, the Candy Apple and HISMS books are similar in a lot of ways, with characters I can relate to, school problems I totally remember, and plot lines that make me stay up late reading. And THEN, readers, I decided to compare the two series in a one-on-one competition.

I've narrowed down the choices in this first ever face-off between these two favorite series. Take a look, and let me know in the comments which ones get your vote!

Funniest Title:

Secretsanta
vs.
MiddleSchool1

Candy Apple's Confessions of a Bitter Secret Santa

HISMS #1: Can You Get an F in Lunch?

Most Eye-Catching Cover Art:

Candy Apple's Callie for President

HISMS #10: Into the Woods

Best Secret Identity:

Candyapple11

vs.
F2591_howisurvived_4cc
Andie and Caitlin in Candy Apple's The Sister Switch   Madame X in HISMS #3: I Heard a Rumor

As for me, it's a toss-up. I can't decide! Luckily, there's enough intrigue, drama, hilarity and homework in all of them!

— Morgan, Scholastic staffer

1. pinkdrama201

i HATE candy apple books but i am, in love with how i survived middle school books i’m all ready for middle school

2. crazyrainbow12

I LOVE READING BOTH CANDY APPLE BOOKS & HOW I SURVIVED MIDDLE SCHOOL BUT I THINK I LIKE HOW I SURVIVED MIDDLE SCHOOL BOOKS BETTER.

3. Jadeprincess3

well, first of all, i think some candy apple books are much more realistic than HISM, but since HISM is just one on going series, and candy apple is, like, a whole bunch put together, the tables often turn.

4. Zoe

i think Candy apple STINKS how i survived middle school rocks. How i survived middle school even has a really awesome tips and quizzes. It helped me get popular. (im not mean though me & my friends are really close BFF’s

5. Kayla

How I survived in middle school is for sure the best versing Candy Apple… But, there both good… But middle school rules!

6. chocalategirl

Funniest- Can you get an F in lunch?
    Best Cover- Miss Popularity Goes Camping
    Character- Cheat Sheet
    Plot- Callie For President
    Idendity- I Heard A Rumor

7. Fafa

I feel so old…! I read the HISMS in the fifth grade through sixth. I was fairly entertained, but after a while, I have to say the books lost their magic. Things become predictable; the Pops are the bad guys, a friend is in need, she takes a quiz, everyone is happy. No romance, no surprising twists, no cliff-hangers.
    On the other hand, I’m pretty old and I still secretly love the Candy Apple books. I own fifteen of them, and I own most of the HISMS books.
    My vote is for Candy Apple. :)

8. Nikki

1.Can u get an f in lunch
    2.caught in the web
    3.Jenny
    4.callie 4 president
    5.Andie and catilyn
    in my opinion candy apple seems like it kinda copied HISMS a little bit and it not very orginal…

9. playfulpig

I absoulutely love these books. I’m a total reader (that’s why I’m on here)!!!!! Check out my profile (playfulpig) and friend me:):):):)

10. Hanna

HISMS for funniest title, Candy Apple for most eye-catching cover art, Candy Apple for coolest character, Candy Apple for juiciest plot line, Candy Apple for best secret identity.

11. cheetahdancer

Funniest Title- Can you get an F in lunch?
    Most Eye-Catching Artwork- Miss Popularity goes Camping
    Coolest Character- Aubrey from Making Waves
    Juciest Plot Line- Into the Woods
    Best Secret Identity- Andie and Caitlin in The Sister Switch
    I think Candy Apple and How I Survived Middle School are good series!

12. BirdBee4

THE candyapple books are like a real life thing.
    But,HISM ARE COOL i LUV them SOOOOO MUCH ( I CANT STOP READING THEM)

13. shaira

how i survive middle school is the BEST
    best title hisms
    most eye catching cover hisms
    almost all my answer and all my answers were all hisms

14. Jade

I love both of the series’s stories because they’re funny and interesting. My class has AR READING, so most of the books I read are Candy Apple or How I survived middle School. Good job, and keep writing those awesome books!

15. Annabelle

I love all the Middle school books! I’v almost read them all. Whenever we go to the library at school or some place else, I always look for these books. In fact,I have one sitting on my lap right now!!

16. shopfreak

welcomes younger or older people im an official 6th grader or newbie of middle school. HISM is totally true and it is awesome so HISM is better but Candy Apple gives GREAT boy advice

17. Alliyah

HOW DO PEOPLE BECOME FAMOUS BY SELLING AND WRITING BOOKS CAUSE I REALLY DO WANT TO KNOW HOW TO WRITE A BOOK THEN SELL IT THEN BECOME REALLY FAMOUS !!!

18. Alliyah

I wonder where the author sells the candy books the most of all at any other stores in the whole other WHOLE WIDE WORLD !!!!

19. ALLIYAH

I really want to hear about it and read about it of apple books even i want to read How I Survived In Middle School of Cheat Sheet and I Heard A Rumor. Because if i get those books and read them i bet that the new books are going to be the best books i had ever read in my whole life !!! So i hope that when i ask my mom if we can go to the store and by the new books witch is the books of A Candy Apple Book

20. posideon

1.How I Survived Middle School
    2.How I Survived Middle School
    3.How I Survived Middle School
    4.How I Survived Middle School
    5.How I Survived Middle School
    HISMS rocks!

21. Tamara

I read Rumor has it from the candy apple series and i loved it but then i started reading another one of the books and i thought it was boring but i read like 8 of the How i survived middle school series and i loved all of them so Nancy Krulik if your reading i just want you to know that dont stop making all the books cause their all wicked awesome ;)

22. Jessica

I do like both series but i think i like hism better because well theres everything i like drama,quizzes,girly stuff, hey whats not to like but i have read drama queen from the candy apple series but t took me a long time to read it and i will admit i like it but i didnt like the ending cause it was boring ad iv read 6 books of hism series and i liked it way better

23. Laurie

Candy Apple is so the winner. Middle school seriously isn’t a big deal go candy apple! PS there are so many CA’s it makes HISMS seem bad

24. ninjapanda3

i vote for hisms i really like those books though i never read the others they just don’t look interesting to me so i probably won’t read them but i will try.

25. Sari B

Its a hard choice but I have to go with How I survived Middle School, It seems more atracting and casual to me. I myself is in middle school, The Candy Apple books are really good, but they get more boring along the way I once finished 5 HISMS books in a day, and 5 candy apple books in two weeks, as you can tell I think How I survived Middle school is better by far. :) ,
    Love,
    Sari

26. monkeysurfing

i love both series but HISMS wins! it is hilarious and original.
    My favorite candy apple book has to be The Boy Next Door!
    My favorite HISMS is a tie between Can you get an F in lunch(of course!) and Into the Woods!

27. posidon7

i have never read candy apple books,i want to, but i think that HISMS books are sooooooooooooooooo awsomely awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. michelle

deffenently how i survived middle school! i love them! i am in middle school and i can relate to jenny McAfee. she is the best!

29. danceart

Both books are great,but i have to say my favorite is How I survived Middle School.The reason why is because it will help me more in school.I think HISMS is more of a book that you can use in real life and Candy Apple I think is more of just a fun book and not really a guide in middle school. In my opinion I would like HISMS.Bye

30. chaninoodle

funniest title:can you get an f in lunch
    most eye catching cover: miss popularity goes camping
    coolest character:jenny
    juiciest plot line: Calli for prez
    best secret identity:madame x

31. Angie19=^-^=

I love <3 the series. Candy Apple and How I Survived Middle School. Does any one know if there going to make a movie????

32. Julie

I like both series, but I like HISMs better, because it shows that anyone can survive middle school. I can relate to the series. I had a friend, but she dumped me. I could almost be like Jenny,
    but I learned to just be yourself.

33. Connie

Funniest title:Can you get an F in lunch?
    Coolest Chracter:Cheat Sheet
    Most Eye Catching Cover:Caught in the Web
    Juiciest Plot Line:HISMS-Into the Woods
    Best Secret Idenity:Sister Switch
    I like both books alot but i dont like all of the candy apple books like callie for president!!! But i do like all the HISMS you can relate to almost to what is happening in school and the quizzes are reallly fun to take!!

34. Michelle

I THINK HOW I SURVIVED MIDDLE SCHOOL IS THE BEST BECUZ THE BOOK GIVE U TIPS AND WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN WEN U GO TO MIDDLE SCHOOL ALL OF NANCY KULIK BOOK ARE AMAZING. I HOPE SHE WIN THE CONTEST :]

35. Starrninjarawr

I can’t decide!I love the Candy Apple books,but I also love the How I Survived Middle School books!I read more How I Survived Middle School books,so I would have to say they are better.

36. Lolipop

I think that Candy apple just might be better! (no offense!)i really like Miss Popularity Goes Camping, as well as the first book, Miss Popularity. Both series are awesome!

37. emokid43

even though these books are for girls,I’m gonna post anyway. I survived middle school,and it was horrible! but these books make it looke fun so,….idk whatelse to write!! speechless.

38. Emily J

I LOVE the HISMS books sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome my favorite ur first book Can You Get An F In Lunch sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooocool. In some ways I can relate to her.

39. DJ13PEB

The Funniest Title=HISMS#1
    Cooliest Character=Jenney Eye-Catching Art=caught in the web
    Plot Line=HISMS#3 Into the Woods
    Secert Identity=Madame X

40. Ge'yianna L!!

I HAVE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF EACH SERIES IM A GIRLY GIRL RUN TRACK PLAY BASKETBALL BUT I LOVE BOTH OF THESE BOOKS I HONESTLY CANT DESIDE.HAVE EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE BOOKS AND SERIES…….KAND DECIDE!! =]

41. Cherrybelle Rocks!♥

I love both, both are great, but if I had to vote…
    Funniest Title: Can you get an F in Lunch?
    Most Eye-Catching Cover Art: Caught on the Web
    Coolest Character: Aumbry
    Juciest Plot Line: Into the Woods
    Best Secret Identity: Andie and Caitlin in The Sister Switch
    Read both series!!

42. none of ur business

i love the HISMS much better its entertaining and has AWESOME tips for middle or elementry school students

43. soccermvp

Funniest Title: Can You Get an F in Lunch? (HISMS)
    Most Eye Catching Cover Art: HISMS Caught in the Web Coolest Character: Aubrey (Candy Apple)
    Juiciest Plot Line: Callie for President (Candy Apple)
    & Best Secret Identity: Andie & Caitlin From Candy Apple

44. christina

I can’t decide,I read both already but they’re both *SO GOOD*. I already have the whole series of HISMS. Nancy gets all the $$$$$$$

45. Len Rocks!

OMG! I CAN’T DECIDE!I love those books but i have to pick Candy Apple cuz they have alot of books and they are funny.

46. tomatonose

i havn’t read either of these series, but How I Survived Middle School sounds way better. COME GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO ME! peace out home dizzles:P

47. Charmaine

Funniest tittle:Can you get an F in lunch
    Most Eye-Catching Cover Art: Caught in the web
    Coolest Character: Aubrey
    Juiciest Plot Line: Into the woods
    Best Secret Identity: Madame X from HISMS

48. mia is so kool

yo if lizzie is reading i love bacon and all of those books mostly bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. Pocahontas4ever

Gee both of them rock. I can relate to both of them in so many ways. I have almost all Candy Apple books but I’m still aiming to get all of the hisms. It’s like every time i go to Barnes and noble they’re out!

50. Breanna:)

wow really tough decision i myself have read 1 how i survived middle school book and loved it so much!!!!i have also read a few of the candy apple books and liked it. so, i’ll have to go with HISMS because it tells me how to get through life and that people have the same problems as i do well hope i could help.

51. cup cake 24

i love both cause its all about drama in high school by the way come check out my page on the stacks

52. shara

i love this hisms books but i also kinda like the ca books.did u know theres these books called posion candy appel books.

53. shara

i love these books they are so awsome.i have all of them exepet the 7,8,9,10,12 books.these are perfect books for girls in middel school.they are so cool.

54. misstiara08

I have 5 reasons for liking HISMS better:
    1. It sounds cool.I might get it the next time I go book-shopping.
    2.The main character is TOTALLY like me.
    3.Middle School IS hard.(When the 5th grade teachers say , “This will be the best years of your life!” it’s kinda not true)
    4. Number 1,2,and3.
    5.How do i know these things?I AM IN 5TH GRADE. Trust me, i know.

55. PinkGirly97

I have to say that they are very much alike and it’s almost as if their all one series. But How I survived Middle School is my favorite because there’s much more drama and action and I can relate to these things because I’m Jenny’s age and so it’s cool to see like another side of me in a book. But sometimes I’m happy these things don’t happen to me. I just like to read about it happening to other people, lol. Not in the rude way just like to figure out what might happen. I like to guess, so basically all books are mysteries to me. :D

56. peachtree1

i dont care what kinda blog i write on as long as i can let my thoughts out. right now i am suppose to be in school. middle school. well i cant because i have the swine flu…. it is horrible.please help me….

57. Britney

Funniest Title:Can You Get an F in Lunch?
    Most Eye-Catching Cover Art:Caught in the Web
    Coolest Character:Jenny McAfee from HISMS
    Juiciest Plot Line:Into the Woods
    Best Secret Identity: Madame X in HISMS #3: I Heard a Rumor

58. Sugarmagi

I think How I Survived Middle School is awesome.Cuz i have almost ALL THE BOOKS IN THE SERIES!!!And also cuz it’s cooler than candy apple cuz HISMS is all about frindship and school life.

59. soccer4life

well to tell you the truth i think that the hism are better than the candy apple books. i mean whenever i start reading a candy apple book it gets so boring and i just stop reading it but some of the books are interesting!! the hism books are awesome i finish them in one day they should make new ones

60. brooke

o.m.g. i love h.i.s.m. because i relate to most of the books and because it is so good. The reason why i am not going for candy apple is because i have never read it.

61. Sydny

That is so cool. I LOVE The Candy Apple series. I have every book. Thats freaky how your scarf color matched the logo. Post more stuff.

62. stacksrlesfrevr

Im voting “how I survived middle school”. I started reading them when i got in 6th grade wich was this year! they actually helped a little!

63. Julieta

Isa says is a very horrible book
    rebe says I love this book
    Julieta says is very nice !!!
    ATTE: ISA JULY & REBE :)
    jejejej see youu !!!!
    Byeee

64. celi

OMG!!!! I luv candyapple BOOK’S each and every single one is a good book im trying to READ all of them!!! CAUSE THERE SO…..GREAT but the first book i read was THE (ACCIDENT CHEERLEADER)I cant get over it!! I c theses books called (HOW I SERVIED MIDDLE SCHOOL) NOW!!!!! they look very iNtEsTiNg!!!!!!:p

65. kjus98

I have not read “How I survived middle school” bcuz I am level “V” so that is techanically not my level, its way below it, but I read The Candy Shop War, & it wuz just great, but the chapters are too long.

66. miley

if i have to vote i will chose candy apple it is like pulling me in to the book i make feel that i am in the book the fave book of candy apple is cheerleader that remine me of a cheerleader iam going to be so this helpes me to know how it feel to be a cheerleader .so if u vote please vote for candy apple

67. sasirocker

i voted on all of them i got 2 votes for candy apple and 3 votes for my favorite series of books HOW I SURVIVED MIDDLE SCHOOL!

68. 101friends

I have read some of the candy apple books but my friend let me borrow one of her HISMS books and I love those books. How do you come up with such great ideas? please tell me ,actully write me but you get what I mean Ha! Ha! Ha!

69. rebekah22

i love this books they are my #1 book that i love keep on wrighting books please send them to school for kids to read them

70. Tiana

I have to go with candy apple because all of them won with my vote i mean really i love middle school and all but candy apples taste better than school lunch. Mystery meat and every thing. HISMS just looks boring.

71. devin

I kind of liked the story candy apple even when ididnt read the whole story. It showed about a normal girl that can relate to candy apple, and how she made it throw the whole school year. she even said that her scarf was the same color and shape like the candy apple so i would like to read more about it.

72. leah

what i really want to read is the sister switch.it sounds like it will be a great story.iwould also like to read some storys from the hisms series.

73. Nafeesa

I think this books are just like school and they can help you in your real life so all of this book are GOOD.

74. Doowa

*I Like all of the books.* *All Of the books is good ever one of them and I had about a lot of them and. I have read a lot of bookd and. I like the books and excatly. How I Survived Middle School. And the THE SISTER SWITCHED. THEN I LIKE TO READ CALLIE FOR PRESIDENT. AND I LIKE MAKING WAVES.AND I LIKE THE BOOK GOES CAMPING. I LIKE THE BOOK CALL CAUGHT IN THE WEB* *DOOWA*

75. Victoria

HISMS is WAY better! I like some Candy Apple books, but I have to admit, some are a little boring! GO NANCY KRULIK! KEEP ON WRITING!

76. Stuffed_Noodle

Funniest Title:Candy Apple’s Confessions of a Bitter Secret Santa
    Most Eye-Catching Cover Art: Candy Apple’s Miss Popularity Goes Camping
    Coolest Character: Jenny McAfee from HISMS
    Juiciest Plot Line: HISMS #10: Into the Woods
    Best Secret Identity:
    Madame X in HISMS #3: I Heard a Rumor
    They are both super awesome but I think HISMS is more creative with ideas for books.

77. sahira

I have read hisms books 1-6 i LOVED them i have also read my fair amount of ca but i love them both i guess it’s a tie

78. ariyanlol

I like them Too Because I am In Middle School and She
    Is Giving me Some Good info
    about Surviving middle School.

79. chances

I think the books that are above just makes you want to start reading them right from the back. these books make you want to read them over and over again. also keep reading and never stop till you fall asleep or something like that. i have never read candy apple books ever before.and i will be looking forward to be doing that.

80. Kareemah

The Candy Apple and HISM books are very similar. These books are very great for middle school children. For funniest title HISM gets my vote. HISM is most eye catching cover because it has a lot of bright covers. Aubrey gets my vote because she looks like a fun energetic girl. Callie For President as the juiciest plot line because it shows what the story is about when you look at it. Heard A Rumor has the best secret identity.

81. jamiyah

BOTH BOOKS ARE SO GOOD TO READ BUT I HAVE TO SAY MY FAVE BOOKS TO READ IS HOW I SURVIVED MIDDLE SCHOOL.I JUST CAN’T STOP READING IT. BUT BASICLLY BOTH BOOK MAKE YOU (ME TOO) WANNA KEEP ON READING. THE REASON I PICK HOW I SURVIVED MIDDLE SCHOOL IS BECAUSE I CAN RELATE TO MOST NOT ALL BUT MOST OF THE PROBLEMS THEY TALK ABOUT IN THE BOOK (HISMS) ANYWAY BOTH BOOKS ARE THE BOMB. :-)

82. javee

I think How I Survive Middle School Cheat sheet, Looks like it would be good because the covers tells you that a girl might or might not cheat on a test

83. cycee

How I Survive Middle School seems to me as if it’s going to be a good book because it tells the life of Candy in Middle School and that it tells the way to be out of elementary school and that your teachers will be getting serious with you and that you have to try best to go through it

84. tatyannna

OMG!!! These sound like such good books.I think that getting a F in lunch is horrible that’s not even possible. the other books i think are good and i would read them are…Miss Popularity Goes Camping, Making Waves, Into The Woods, I Heard A Rumor.

85. Kynisha

I LOVE candy apple books, even though I had never read How I Survived Middle School the collection looks very interesting though. My first book was How to be a Girly girl in just 10 days. I loved it and then I found me another and that one was called The boy next door now that was very good it told you how girls are when a there is a cute boy next door that you like very much and you tell your friends about it and at the end he becomes your friend and there is another I read but we would just talk about that one later!

86. Tyesha

Why did you want to match with the apple candy logo. The series i chose is the (HISMS) because the other title was to long for some people that need help with reading a book……

87. NaTasja

Wow! Candy Apple v.s. How to Survive Middle School! That’s a hard one and I can’t even say which one is my favorite and which one wins the contest! To me, they both are equal.
    I really thought you came up with a good idea to blog on these two books. They both rock! And once again- my opinion on who wins the contest is a tie because both of the books are totally awesome!

88. Siani

I think the books are going to be the same and different in a lot of ways.Both of the books look good and interesting.I wish i had one of those books now.

89. safiya

I think this is a good book and i realy think that i could relate to it in so many ways and i also think that this book probabaly be the book that i would be up reading all night.

90. kyra

i have only read how i survived middle school and i would like to read them all but i dont know what there called? Can u help me?

91. DESTINEE

HI MY NAME IS DESTINEE, I THINK YOU SHOULD PICK HOW I SURVIVED MIDDLE SCHOOL BECAUSE NEXT YEAR I AM GOING TO MIDDLE SCHOOL AND THOUGHT IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO READ.BELIEVE ME ITS AWESOME:)

92. Summergreen61

you kno the way u compare them i think the book is good it just needs a different topic each time the title is the only thing that makes it good a bad book good title i always say or the other way around

1. Svitlana

I bought the enrite collection of books for my kids, and also for my nephews who live in California. The kids’ ages range from 4-10 yrs. old, and all of them enjoy the books. My kids find the books to be funny and fun to read. My husband and I appreciate the creative way that the books reinforce the Armenian language and culture to our kids. Great initiative by the author to capture in story-form what we as Armenian parents have experienced during our youth. As more and more generations of American-Armenians grow farther away from our foreign-born parents’ customs and rituals, these books allow us to bring the concepts back and share the funny anecdotes with our children so that they can continue to exist in their repetoire of the Armenian culture.

93. STACKSFan

I’ve read the book Babysitting Wars from the Candy apple series and I loved it. It was one of the best books I have ever read. Next time I get a chance I’m reading how I Survived Middle School. I think you should read at least 1 of the Candy apple books then you will want to read another.

94. Readingstar5

Funniest Title: Confessions of a Bitter Secret Santa
    Most Eye-Catching Cover Art: Caught on the Web
    Coolest Character: Jenny McAfee
    Juciest Plot Line: Callie for President
    Best Secret Identity: Andie and Caitlin in The Sister Switch

95. Mandogirl

I never read how i survived middle school series , but i have read the candy apple books and love them!So i guess i can say i like the candy apple series better .