The FIVE: Cool Books About Back-to-School
There's no denying it, folks. If you haven't started school yet, you might still have a few days left of sleeping in, staying up late, and spending all those hours in between at the beach or the park or camp (or even inside reading your favorite books or commenting on this blog!), but let's all just admit that summer is coming to a close.
But! Have no fear, because back-to-school is actually a really fun time of year. Think about it: school supplies! Shiny new sneakers! Lockers that will hopefully open! It's a time for new beginnings, and to celebrate, here are my top five favorite books about the first day of school (in order of younger readers to older!):
1. Amelia Bedelia's First Day of School by Herman Parish: This gem of a book marks the first time readers got to see what crazy Amelia was like as a kid. Is it any surprise that she's just as wacky and hilarious as the adult Amelia?
2. Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary: Ramona the restless is more like it! It's the first day of kindergarten, and Ramona is off to school just like her big sister Beezus. Too bad it's not quite what she expected.
3. Judy Moody Was in a Mood. Not a Good Mood. A Bad Mood by Megan McDonald: Third grade is not for wimps, and Judy Moody is more than a bit wary about what the new school year will bring. Turns out, it brings a whole new perspective after her teacher assigns a “Me” collage and Judy discovers more about herself than she imagined.
4. The Fashion Disaster That Changed My Life by Lauren Myracle: It's the beginning of middle school, and Allison unknowingly arrives with the most embarrassing accessory clinging to her pant leg. The day doesn't get any easier, but Allison learns to trust herself.
5. Reluctantly Alice by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor: Alice can't understand what's so special about the first day of seventh grade, except maybe that school ends a whole half hour earlier. She vows to make it a year to remember, though – which proves harder than she imagined.
Any of these back-to-school stories ring true for any of you? Leave a comment about your favorite back-to-school books!
–Morgan, Scholastic staffer