Hey, Splotters! Over the long Memorial Day weekend, I did a lot of thinking. Some soul-searching, if you will. And I came up with the answer to a very important question: if I were a demigod, like Percy Jackson, I would want my god-parent (ba-dum tcchh) to be Hermes. I realized this in the middle of an ultimate frisbee game, which was reducing my legs and my lungs to jelly; Hermes' winged shoes would have been really useful. (My team won anyway. Obviously.)
1. In his travels in Sea of Monsters, Mr. Jackson meets Circe. What does she turn him into?
(BONUS: What similar animal does Circe turn Odysseus into?)
2. Annabeth teaches Percy about "hubris" — a key element of the Icarus myth. How did Icarus die?
(DOUBLE BONUS: What awesome heavy metal band wrote a song about this?)
3. Which famous pirate do Percy and Annabeth meet?
4. Who was the original hero associated with the quest for the Golden Fleece?
5. (ULTRA OBSCURE) What old man was changed into a rock by Hermes for betraying him?
Good luck! I'll post the answers when someone gets all (or most) of these right.
— Jack, STACKS Staffer