May 13, 2009

Now Casting: How I Survived Middle School

Mss_130About a month ago on the Middle School Survival site in the Top Ten section, we asked you who should play Jenny and Addie in a movie based on the How I Survived Middle School series. The results were pretty unanimous, which was surprising:

Jenny Mcfee (Cast by YOU!)
Miley_130 #1 choice: Miley Cyrus

I agree — Miss Miley would be perfect for this role because not only does she look a little bit like Jenny, but she also deals with all the hardships one faces at school on a daily basis on her hit show, Hannah Montana.

Selina_gomez_130 #2 choice: Selena Gomez
Like Miley, Selena is constantly thinking of clever ways to deal with her school problems (on the Disney show Wizards of Waverly Place). Plus, she is also moving quickly up the celebrity ladder, so we'd better snag her while we have the chance.

View complete list of Jenny Mcfee considerations »

Addie Wilson (Cast by YOU!)
#1 choice: Ashley Tisdale
All I have to say is, "bravo" to the users who submitted Ashley Tisdale as their top choice to play Addie Wilson. Ashley already has this in the bag after starring as Sharpay in the High School Musical films. This role should be a cinch!

#2: Britney Spears
Britney Spears would be a bit too old for the role of Addie, but after watching her on How I Met Your Mother and Will & Grace, I'm sure Britney could pull if off. However, if she's too busy with her world tour, maybe her sister Jamie Lynn could fill in.

View complete list of Addie Wilson considerations »

Of course, there are a few characters that still need to be cast. So here's how I would round out the crew:

Haley Williams of Paramore as Chloe
Though she's not an actress and has never appeared in a movie or television show, Haley Williams can definitely perform. After seeing this Paramore lead singer in interviews and performances, I think Haley would fit this role as Jenny's friend quite well due to his fun demeanor and easygoing personality.

Cole or Dylan Sprouse as Marc
These Suite Life of Zack and Cody stars would be a shoe-in for the role of Marc. Funny, outgoing, and friendly, either one of these actors would have no problem pulling off this character. Now, which one would I cast . . . that's a hard one!

Emily Osment as Felicia
As Hannah Montana's comedic best friend, Emily Osment already has this role down. Plus she has such a friendly and welcoming appearance that she could never be cast as "a pop."

Miranda Cosgrove as Dana
Sure you love Miranda Cosgrove in Nickelodeon's iCarly, but this talented actress also played the stuck-up and demanding girl in the movie School of Rock (2003) and the annoying and scheming sister on Drake and Josh, so I'm sure she'll have no problem acting as Addie's cruel and popular friend.

Colleen and Suzanne Dengel as Marilyn and Carolyn
You may not have heard of these girls, but they starred alongside famed actress Meryl Streep as her daughters in the 2006 hit movie Devil Wears Prada. Not only are they middle-school age, but they also fit the prerequisite of being identical twins.

Emma Roberts as Sabrina
This actress has the skills down to play one of the unkind, popular girls in How I Survived Middle School. Though she is probably one of the most down-to-earth young actresses in Hollywood, like her aunt Julia Roberts, Emma Roberts can take on any part she is given and succeed.

Bonnie Wright as Sam
Have you happen to hear of a little series called Harry Potter? Well, if you have, then you've probably both read the books and seen the movies. This actress, Bonnie Wright, plays Ginny Weasley. Given her well-established acting credentials and the fact that she already has a British accent (right, she's from England), she'd be perfect for the role of Sam.

Susan Sarandon as Ms. Jaffe
She is probably one of the greatest actresses of all time. If you don't know who she is from her name, you might recognize her as Queen Narissa from the Disney movie Enchanted. Susan Sarandon has been in just about any type of movie you can imagine; from comedy to drama to action, she's done it all. This is the reason I pick her to star as Ms. Jaffe, Joyce Kilmer Middle School's strict and tough English teacher.

So, do you all agree with my choices? If not, who would you pick?

— Carly M., STACKS Staffer

1. super_cookie_13

I think those are all good coices but what about the rest of the pops, plus ithink josh should be played nick jonas

2. Chantelle

I would so wanna be Jenny. I mean, im short , have a mess of thin wave/curls, but my dream is to become an actress, and its my fave series ever!!

3. Chantelle

OH, NO!!! Not Utah or ANYWHERE in the States. I think in Canada, cuz nothin is ever filmed there, and there is a lot of people that want to be actors or actresses but cant cuz its all in the states

4. Chantelle

Will there be a How I Survived Middle School series and if so would the auditions be in Canada instead of the States for a change?

5. Chantelle

I think some of these people are to OLD to play the characters! Jenny and her friends are only, like, 11 or 12.
    Some of them, like Sabrina and the other 7th graders, might be able to pull it off.

6. mwa

I think the books are great and that a movie would be awsome! They should film and cast in utah becouse there is lots of actors and actresses here. All of my friends act and the school plays have everyone in it(The junior highs and middle schools all have about 500 people each!) There are tons of PERFECT people here! (in age perfections!) I think all of those people are to old. The first i thought some were good but then you imagine them acting out the scenes and no. It won’t work. I wouldn’t add britny or miley becouse they would be bad influenences to people who the shows. (Can you imagine miley wearing a camp Kendale t shirt?!) I’m sorry but they need to be younger.Has the movie already been made? Do not put adults and babys in a show together unless its like a mom or something. Hope it’s a movie! (And filmed in utah!)

7. Jamie

justin bieber = josh
    jasmine sagginerio= felica
    selena gomez= jenny mcafee
    demi lovato= Chloe
    miley cyrus= addie

8. alyssa

i agree with bekah these actors are wayy to old to play these characters. if there is a movie of how i survived middle school i think you should hold auditions for people ages 11-13 unless they want to audition for the younger sibblings,the teachers,the parents etc. i would love to audition as jenny or chloe or anyone lol. i hope there will be a movie soon!!

9. faith

i think they are good ones but trt some normal pepole mabye that whould work better? hale no mranda mabye NOT miley cyurs….selena gomez!! she is sweet miley has gone bad and she is nothig like jenny! selena is!! and ashley will be good as that addie!!!!

10. Mackenzie

Camilla and Rebbeca Rosso should play Marilyn and Carolyn becuz they look like them. Miley Cyrus should play Jenny, Ashley tisdale should play Addie and Miranda Cosgrove should play Dana

11. cleo

i love the books but the choise of characters for me is a no no. most (if not all) of the people chosen are to old to paly 6 to 7 graders. maybe some actors from the ages of 12 to 14 would be good?

12. MacKenzie

Jenny- Miley Cyrus
    Addie- Ashley Tisdale
    Chloe- KeKe Palmer
    Marc- Cole Sprouse
    Rachael- Demi Lovato
    Felicia-
    Dana- Brenda Song
    Marilyn- Camilla Rosso
    Carolyn- Rebecca Rosso
    Sabrina- Emma Roberts
    Samantha- Bonnie Right

13. MacKenzie

I think for Marilyn and Carolyn you should choose Camilla Rosso and Rebecca Rosso because like the Marilyn and Carolyn they finish each others sentences and they look like Marilyn and Carolyn. Which is why they should play Marilyn and Carolyn

14. madayy

Ummmmmm u 4got ALOT of ppl rachel, the pops,and josh and liza >< but u shuld make a movie btw some of the people like dana and chloe r supposed 2 be black.

15. Selena

CLaire should be Nicole Anderson, she’s really cute and nice. liza…debby ryan is pefect. I think cole sprouse is pefect for marc. i personally dont like dylan. ashley is great for addie. selena gomez should definetly play the part for jenny. miley is very pretty, but she has an accent and selena looks more like jenny than miley.