May 13, 2009

Now Casting: How I Survived Middle School

Mss_130About a month ago on the Middle School Survival site in the Top Ten section, we asked you who should play Jenny and Addie in a movie based on the How I Survived Middle School series. The results were pretty unanimous, which was surprising:

Jenny Mcfee (Cast by YOU!)
Miley_130 #1 choice: Miley Cyrus

I agree — Miss Miley would be perfect for this role because not only does she look a little bit like Jenny, but she also deals with all the hardships one faces at school on a daily basis on her hit show, Hannah Montana.

Selina_gomez_130 #2 choice: Selena Gomez
Like Miley, Selena is constantly thinking of clever ways to deal with her school problems (on the Disney show Wizards of Waverly Place). Plus, she is also moving quickly up the celebrity ladder, so we'd better snag her while we have the chance.

View complete list of Jenny Mcfee considerations »

Addie Wilson (Cast by YOU!)
#1 choice: Ashley Tisdale
All I have to say is, "bravo" to the users who submitted Ashley Tisdale as their top choice to play Addie Wilson. Ashley already has this in the bag after starring as Sharpay in the High School Musical films. This role should be a cinch!

#2: Britney Spears
Britney Spears would be a bit too old for the role of Addie, but after watching her on How I Met Your Mother and Will & Grace, I'm sure Britney could pull if off. However, if she's too busy with her world tour, maybe her sister Jamie Lynn could fill in.

View complete list of Addie Wilson considerations »

Of course, there are a few characters that still need to be cast. So here's how I would round out the crew:

Haley Williams of Paramore as Chloe
Though she's not an actress and has never appeared in a movie or television show, Haley Williams can definitely perform. After seeing this Paramore lead singer in interviews and performances, I think Haley would fit this role as Jenny's friend quite well due to his fun demeanor and easygoing personality.

Cole or Dylan Sprouse as Marc
These Suite Life of Zack and Cody stars would be a shoe-in for the role of Marc. Funny, outgoing, and friendly, either one of these actors would have no problem pulling off this character. Now, which one would I cast . . . that's a hard one!

Emily Osment as Felicia
As Hannah Montana's comedic best friend, Emily Osment already has this role down. Plus she has such a friendly and welcoming appearance that she could never be cast as "a pop."

Miranda Cosgrove as Dana
Sure you love Miranda Cosgrove in Nickelodeon's iCarly, but this talented actress also played the stuck-up and demanding girl in the movie School of Rock (2003) and the annoying and scheming sister on Drake and Josh, so I'm sure she'll have no problem acting as Addie's cruel and popular friend.

Colleen and Suzanne Dengel as Marilyn and Carolyn
You may not have heard of these girls, but they starred alongside famed actress Meryl Streep as her daughters in the 2006 hit movie Devil Wears Prada. Not only are they middle-school age, but they also fit the prerequisite of being identical twins.

Emma Roberts as Sabrina
This actress has the skills down to play one of the unkind, popular girls in How I Survived Middle School. Though she is probably one of the most down-to-earth young actresses in Hollywood, like her aunt Julia Roberts, Emma Roberts can take on any part she is given and succeed.

Bonnie Wright as Sam
Have you happen to hear of a little series called Harry Potter? Well, if you have, then you've probably both read the books and seen the movies. This actress, Bonnie Wright, plays Ginny Weasley. Given her well-established acting credentials and the fact that she already has a British accent (right, she's from England), she'd be perfect for the role of Sam.

Susan Sarandon as Ms. Jaffe
She is probably one of the greatest actresses of all time. If you don't know who she is from her name, you might recognize her as Queen Narissa from the Disney movie Enchanted. Susan Sarandon has been in just about any type of movie you can imagine; from comedy to drama to action, she's done it all. This is the reason I pick her to star as Ms. Jaffe, Joyce Kilmer Middle School's strict and tough English teacher.

So, do you all agree with my choices? If not, who would you pick?

— Carly M., STACKS Staffer

1. BEKAH

dear Nancy,
    these people the fans picked are WAY TOO OLD!! and most of them are very busy with their own things to b in a movie, maybe let some new talent be in this <3
    signing off,
    Bekah

2. Laura

Okay, here’s my cast:
    Jenny: Madeline Carroll.
    Addie: Adair Tishler.
    Chloe: Ashley Argota.
    Marc: Mitchell Musso.
    Liza: Sammi Hanratty.
    Josh: Nathan Kress.
    Marilyn/Carolyn: Colleen and Suzanne Dengel.
    Sam: Bonnie Wright.
    Felicia: Alyson Stoner.
    Rachel: Jennette McCurdy.
    Dana: Elizabth McLaughlin.
    Claire: Brenda Song.
    Sabrina: Emma Roberts.
    Maya: Demi Levato.
    Jeffery: Josh Hutcherson.
    Aaron: Jake T. Austin.
    Spencer: Ryan Ochoa.
    Mrs. Jaffe: Mindy Sterling.

3. Samantha

Definitely NOT the Rosso twins. I like the Dengel twins for this. Also Miley isn’t a bad choice and Miranda Cosgrove is alright…

4. Dina

My identical twin and I would love to audition! They shouldnt just cast based on fame! We have a full resume of castings that not everyone knows!

5. Sarah

i think the cast you have is way to old i mean miley cyrus and selena gomez are like sixteen and the book is about a girl who is in sixth grade so shes like 11

6. Victoria :D

Miley Cyrus is AWESOME but I admit she’s not really middle-school age! I think the best way would be to cast “unknown talent” for the parts!

7. Strawberrypeace

Nany Krulik may I have your email, my dream is to become a auther, I really love your books. Your my role-model
    plese, and thankyou

8. Strawberrypeace

Okay first of all I have nooo idea who half of the people are, but…
    I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i HAVE THE WHOLE SERIES SO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

9. Haytink

i think that all the people that you and the other people selected are way to old. these girls are supose to be in 6th grade middle school. now high school.

10. Adriana

Dear Nancy,
    I find this show so amazing I am one of your biggest fans and this is the only way to get through to you. me and my friend has the entire series of “How I Survived Middle School” in fact we are in middle school I’m in 6th grade
    and I love<3 your books. You inspire me to write stories and I think it’s very fun to let your imagination flow. I would also kill to be Chloe in the movie because I always dreamed of becoming an actress and she has such a bubbly personality and is such a drama queen like me:) I know you have lots of stuff to read but I searched everywhere to find your email to send real fan mail but just can’t. I hope you reply and read this note:)
    Lots Of Love
    Adriana :)

11. Adriana

I thought that was so cool!
    But i think Miley would be better for Jenny. Ashely for Addie. I think the best person who could play Ms.Jaffe would be Teri Hatcher who stars in Desperate Houswives. I think the movie will be great but they might be a little to old don’t you think? You should get younger kids like my age 11-12 years old. :)

12. Chrisya

I think that your idea is SO COOL! I agrred with it. For Miley, I think she must wear clothes that are plain and she must be the same like u.Thankz, that’s all I wanted to share to all of u. ~GBu~

13. Nufasita

Maya: Meaghan Jette Martin
    Jeffrey: Zac Efron
    Aaron: Josh Hutcherson
    Spencer: Frankie Jonas
    Ms. Jaffe: Maria Canals Barrera

14. Olha

BRITNEY SPEARS IS TOO OLD FOGIES MAN!!!! no offence but u have to make the lockers and the classroom doors a million km taller in order for everyone to look like middle schoolers :)

15. Nelisha

Selena should play Jenny because Jenny has straight hair and Selena could straighten her hair like she does sometimes. No offence but Britney Spears is way too old and she would ruin Addie’s reputation kind of. Don’t you think the Sprouse twins are too short to be Mark…? JUSTIN BIEBER SHOULD PLAY MARK!!! yay!

16. jenna2candy

just asking-is the movie out already or something, or is it still not done or even started yet? sorry, i cant really catch up on this stuff. and what is the movie called, or what will it be called

17. jenna2candy

I think Selena Gomez is great for the part as Jenny, but not so much Miley Cyrus. Everyone else is perfect, but aren’t they ALL a little TOO old for middle schoolers?