February 7, 2009

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Movie, Starring . . . You?

Diaryofawimpykid_130 “But the truth is, when they make a movie or a TV mini-series about me, they’ll probably just skip right over the middle school years and go right to the part where I’m famous. Seriously, who’s gonna want to see a movie about a guy who’s stuck in middle school with a bunch of half-grown morons?”

Well, 20th Century Fox is counting on LOTS of people seeing a movie about a kid stuck in middle school (whether it’s filled with half-grown morons is yet to be seen). They’re making Jeff Kinney’s Diary of a Wimpy Kid series into a movie! The quote above is part of Greg’s opening dialogue, and he’s totally wrong — because those middle school years are exactly what the movie is about.

How did I get a quote from a movie that’s not out yet? This is really cool — Fox is doing on online casting call for the main character, Greg Heffley. They put the first scene of the movie up on their website and are having kids submit audition tapes online. Then anyone who visits the website can watch the audition tapes – kind of like American Idol for male actors age 10-13, except it’s not on television and you can’t call in and vote and there’s no Simon Cowell (thankfully!) or Paula Abdul and . . . Okay, so maybe it’s nothing like American Idol. But some guy out there is going to go from regular middle-schooler to movie star. And I hope he’s keeping a diary (or as Greg would insist, journal) in case someday someone wants to make a movie about when he became famous!

And for all those Wimpy Kid fans who aren’t wannabe-movie stars, Jeff Kinney has more Wimpy Kid books planned — one that will be out in the fall of 2009 and one in 2010, which will hold you over until the movie comes out. If you’re not a fan of the series yet, you should be. Check out this video trailer for the books and go get reading!

— Carly H., STACKS Staffer

UPDATE 3/22: Check out all our Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie coverage including movie clips, a chat with Jeff Kinney and Zach Gordon, a sneak peek at Jeff Kinney’s new book, a trivia quiz, and interviews with the actors!

1. Laura

Can girls post an audition tape if we want a GIRL PART? I mean, a guy can’t play Holly, can he? So, I’m just wondering if we’re allowed, despite being a girl.

2. bella

u guys should animate it cuz it will be better as a cartoon than casting real people , P.S i love the book dont stop at the 5th book

3. Elizabeth

i LOVE jeff’s books i think that they are amusing sometimes when i’m board i’ll read them to my dog, Shikira, i know it sounds like i’m weird, but i am.and i’m proud of it. i am sooooo exited about the movie i know im going to love them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. tommo

I’ve only read Rodrick Rules and It was….awesome. So I’m gueesing that the other ones are going to be tottally mad. Can’t wait for the 4th one to come out.!!

5. trevor

i tried out for the part and im going to get the part im 10 and im not overly cute i have all the books includeing the do it yourself book and i noticed they only post the bad auditoins

6. George

christina’s and sahel’s comments are true. And I have a felling the movie trailer will be about 30 times better. And if I get the part, then it will be 40 times better

7. jerrie

i love diary of a wimpy kid! i have read all the books and am definitley going to see the movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. jody

OMG!!!! I luv Diary of a wimpy kid! It is so hilarious! I can’t to see the movie. I would faint if I was in a movie… I mean how cool is that?

9. noe

im so am wimpy kid FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    but one my com wont let me watch the video (trailer) so yeah i read all the books except i have not make ur own book
    so i really like the books in school i got 100% on the AR tests and one thing IM NOT A NERD FOR GETTING 100%’s

10. amanda

well not all the tapes are on the website, also I believe that girls need to have their agents submit their headshot/resume and go through the casting process.

11. alexandra

thats so cool how they are going to make a movie!!!!! but i recondmend the movie being animated, because its going to be way cooler than REAL ACTORS!!! And since they’er going to make a movie out of a book, animation will make the movie feel like the book.
    so who ever is reading this, you have to agree with me about this, so bye!!!=]