January 14, 2009

The Hunger Games Soundtrack!

Posted by at 8:36 pm in Book to Big Screen, Music | Permalink

Hungergames_130 Due to the amazing response from you guys about the dream cast for a Hunger Games movie, I thought to myself, “What’s a movie without a soundtrack?” After my previous entries, Allie Finkle soundtrack and How I Survived Middle School soundtrack, I realized that a Hunger Games soundtrack would have to go in a completely different direction of music. And though I enjoy pop music, for this soundtrack to be true to the book/movie, I’d have to scrap Miley, Taylor, Carrie, David, and the Jo Bros from the list for more alternative music and some less well-known bands.

Now if only someone or some group would write a song based off of the hook on The Hunger Games book cover: “Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone fighting against you?”

Vampire Weekend_51exXgX0+oL._SS500_Carly M.’s picks for the The Hunger Games soundtrack:

“Do The Panic” – Phantom Planet
“D Is For Dangerous” – Arctic Monkeys
“Let the Flames Begin” – Paramore
“The Kids Don’t Stand A Chance” – Vampire Weekend
Duffy _51xNrzL-+lL._SS400_ “Viva La Vida” – Coldplay
“Mercy” – Duffy
“We Belong Together” – Gavin Degraw
“One Foot Wrong” – Pink
“We’ve Got A Big Mess On Our Hands” – The Academy Is . . .
“Push & Pull” – Nikka Costa
Coldplay _7090171“This Is Our Town” – We the Kings
“Fate” – Lydia
“Rise From The Ashes” – Quietdrive
“When I’m Gone” – 3 Doors Down

Also, take a look at Carly H.’s Hunger Games soundtrack.

— Carly M., STACKS Staffer

1. Ruby

i would add Larue by Paramore. it’s really good. there’s also that one sone called Wish right now that would go with when Katniss is on the train to the capitol.

2. Jess

i found a peeeeerrrfect one!!
    Woods- Bon Iver
    lyrics-
    I’m up in the woods
    I’m down on my mind
    I’m building a still
    to slow down the time
    repeated heaps of times, getting more and more intense.
    i think all the soundtrack should be very raw and not built up and glam.
    can you seriously imagine a poor ordinary girl like Katniss and baker’s son like Peeta in a movie with songs like “Paparazzi”? no.
    i will be soooo let down if the soundtrack is awful.

3. Megan

Definately “Hero” by Skillet and “Hurricane” by 30 Seconds To Mars. The rest should be either instrumental or orchestral. Too many songs with lyrics is overkill.

4. E

THE best song EVER to describe this book would be one song.
    Me Against the World.
    BY FAR.
    Here are the lyrics.
    We’re not gonna be just a part of the game
    We’re not gonna be just the victims
    They’re taking our dreams and they tear them apart
    Till everyone’s the same
    I’ve got no place to go
    I’ve got nowhere to run.
    They want to watch me fall
    They think they know it all
    I’m a nightmare, a disaster
    That’s what they’d always say
    I’m a lost cause, not a hero
    But I’ll make it on my own
    I’ve gotta prove them wrong
    Me against the world
    Its me against the world
    We won’t let them change how we feel in our hearts
    We’re not gonna let them control us
    We won’t let them shove all the thoughts in our heads
    And we’ll never be like them
    I’ve got no place to go
    I’ve got nowhere to run
    They want to watch me fall
    They think they know it all
    I’m a nightmare, a disaster
    That’s what they’d always say
    I’m a lost cause, not a hero
    But I’ll make it on my own
    I’ve gotta prove them wrong
    Me against the world
    Its me against the world
    World.worldworld
    Its me against the world.
    (scream)
    Now I’m sick of this waiting
    So come on and take your shot
    You can spit out you insults
    But nothings gonna change us
    You can sit there and judge me
    Say what you want to
    We’ll never let you win.
    I’m a nightmare, a disaster
    That’s what they’d always say
    I’m a lost cause, not a hero
    But I’ll make it on my own
    I’ve gotta prove them wrong
    Me against the world
    I’m a nightmare, a disaster
    That’s what they’d always say
    I’m a lost cause, not a hero
    But I’ll make it on my own
    I’ve gotta prove them wrong
    Me against the world
    I’m gonna prove them wrong
    They’ll never bring us down
    We’ll never fall in line
    I’ll make it on my own
    Me against the world
    I think it’s either written for this book, or for teenager rebellion. Lol.

5. Haleigh

what about now by chris daughtry is a good song at the end. i was actually listening to that cd, and it is the whole book on like one disk. i cried at the end because chris daughtry’s first cd related to it that much.

6. Beth

You should add “The Uprising” by The Muse!!!
    Me and my english teacher agree that that song reminds us sooo much of the world Katniss and Peeta live in!!!

7. Damaris

It’s funny you chose Vampire Weekend’s “The Kids Don’t Stand a Chance”, because I like them, but I don’t see the connection to The HUnger Games…? I think Vampire Weekend is a too happy and poppy band, think The Hunger Games soundtrack should be darker. So I suggest PATRICK WOLF to write some of the tracks. He’s very emotional, and his lyrics are wonderful and gripping. He would be perfect to make the soundtrack. And of course there should be som grand, frightening score soundtrack, that everyone would recognise after the movie’s success. ;D

8. Jess

PLEASE no mainstream stuff! aha
    BUT this song reminds me so much of Peeta. I could imagine it while Peeta and Katniss have been spearated in the arena, then they just find out they can be together, the Katniss shouts his name (that could be in one of the pauses.)
    Blood Bank- Bon Iver

9. lindsey

ok I found the song Savior by Rise Against matched the beginning of Catching Fire PERFECTLY! listen to it and you might understand…also YES! Let The Flames Begin by Paramore is an amazing song and it fits because it’s saying “yeah let’s bring it on and FIGHT!” :D

10. Katniss_Is_Awesome

Thank you Jag!You are awesome.Here is a list of songs I’ve compiled that would fit THG.
    Change by Taylor Swift
    Get Out Alive by Three Days Grace
    Smile For the Camera by Armor for Sleep
    One More by Superchick
    Cross the Line by Superchick
    Running Out of Time by BarlowGirl
    The Meaning of Life by Hawk Nelson

11. Jag

One More by Superchick
    So I Thought by Flyleaf
    Running Out of Time by Barlowgirl
    Unbreakable by Fireflight
    Wrapped In Your Arms by Fireflight
    but I think it needs a soundtrack, not just songs. My opinion

12. Rachel

I think Change by Taylor Swift,Smile For the Camera by Armor for Sleep and Breakdown by Jack Johnson fit the Hunger Games nicely.But what if,for the soundtrack,people actually write songs FOR the movie?That would be awesome!

13. lizbeth

i would add papparazzi(lady gaga) and
    run this town tonight(rhianna, jay-z, and sadly kanye west)
    -both add rebellion
    -and the scary thought of how fame hurts life

14. Team Peeta

I think “All the Right Moves” by OneRepublic would be great because it just tells most of the scenes in the arena really good

15. Adrian

I think you should look into Circa Survive, they have the PERFECT tone for the Hunger Games, and some of the lyrics are appropriate too. Id recommend “The Greatest Lie”