January 14, 2009

The Hunger Games Soundtrack!

Posted by at 8:36 pm in Book to Big Screen, Music | Permalink

Hungergames_130 Due to the amazing response from you guys about the dream cast for a Hunger Games movie, I thought to myself, “What’s a movie without a soundtrack?” After my previous entries, Allie Finkle soundtrack and How I Survived Middle School soundtrack, I realized that a Hunger Games soundtrack would have to go in a completely different direction of music. And though I enjoy pop music, for this soundtrack to be true to the book/movie, I’d have to scrap Miley, Taylor, Carrie, David, and the Jo Bros from the list for more alternative music and some less well-known bands.

Now if only someone or some group would write a song based off of the hook on The Hunger Games book cover: “Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone fighting against you?”

Vampire Weekend_51exXgX0+oL._SS500_Carly M.’s picks for the The Hunger Games soundtrack:

“Do The Panic” – Phantom Planet
“D Is For Dangerous” – Arctic Monkeys
“Let the Flames Begin” – Paramore
“The Kids Don’t Stand A Chance” – Vampire Weekend
Duffy _51xNrzL-+lL._SS400_ “Viva La Vida” – Coldplay
“Mercy” – Duffy
“We Belong Together” – Gavin Degraw
“One Foot Wrong” – Pink
“We’ve Got A Big Mess On Our Hands” – The Academy Is . . .
“Push & Pull” – Nikka Costa
Coldplay _7090171“This Is Our Town” – We the Kings
“Fate” – Lydia
“Rise From The Ashes” – Quietdrive
“When I’m Gone” – 3 Doors Down

Also, take a look at Carly H.’s Hunger Games soundtrack.

— Carly M., STACKS Staffer

1. jane

Get Out Alive – Three Days Grace
    Goodnight Moon – Shivaree
    Hold Your Color – Pendulum
    Ignorance – Paramore
    In A Heartbeat – John Murphy (from 28 Days Later)
    It’s A War – Dukes Of Windsor
    OSaya (from slumdog millionaire)
    Joker And the Theif- wolfmother
    my delirium – ladyhawke
    nadia – jeff beck
    remember the name – fort minor
    rock star – n.e.r.d.
    SEASON SONG – BLUE STATES
    supermassive black hole – muse
    uprising – muse
    these are all good for the book =)

2. evanne

eye of the tiger and natalie merchant my skin either while they are showing all the dead tributes or just some rely emotional part. NOT RUE’S DEATH i think when they show rue dying they should have absolutly no background music even after the hovercraft picks her up just to show exactl;y how bleak and cold her death was

3. Jessie

I think “Fences” by Paramore would work because she is lying to the cameras. I listened to the song after I read the book and I thought it was a complete match.

4. Rachel

OHMYHUNGERGAMES!I just found the perfect song for Catching Fire!It’s called Running Out Of Time and it’s by BarlowGirl.When I heard it I thought it was the perfect song for it because it describes the rebellion against the Capitol,in a way.If you don’t believe me,look it up!

5. Chelsea

Say When by the frey just tells the whole hunger games story. Skyway Avenue by We the Kings is also really perfect if you take it in context and not just word for word.

6. jackie

yall should put let the bodies hit the floor by drowning pool wen there barley starting the games wen every ones killing each other

7. Kayla

I made my own playlist about a week ago:
    Let the Flames Begin-Paramore-Maybe when she’s getting dressed for an interview
    Cold As You-Taylor Swift-End scene with Peeta and Katniss
    We Are Broken-Paramore-Would be good for a trailer or when Katniss is on the train after the Reaping
    Born For This-Paramore-when Katniss finally retrieves the orange backpack with Peeta’s medicine
    You Raise Me Up-many artists-Peeta and Katniss’ first kiss
    Broken Things-Lucy Kaplansky, Julie Miller-another good one for last scene
    Concrete Angel-Martina McBride-when Rue dies
    Change-Taylor Swift-good for a trailer or when Katniss and Peeta beat the Capitol and win
    The Island-Celtic Thunder-just generally goes with the story except it’s a little more like husband and wife
    Brothers in Arms-Celtic Thunder-again, just generally goes with the story
    So I Thought-Flyleaf-another good one for a trailer or the last scene again
    Cassie-Flyleaf-doesn’t really match the story, but it just reminds me of Katniss
    Battlefield-Jordin Sparks-maybe for the last scene again, but it describes Katniss and Peeta’s half-fake relationship really well

8. Tiana

I think “We Are Broken” by Paramore is perfect 4 it. It reminds me of the broken spirits in the Games as they realize the fate that they have to try and live through and naturally, when hard times hit they seek a safe haven

9. katniss

truthfully i dont really like any of the songs beacuse of there toon. there not going with how the feeling of the book is. the only one i actually like is
    LET THE FLAMES BEGIN by paramore – it would be really good to play in the scene were katniss is running for her life from the fire that they set in the arena. (ironic isnt it?)
    and since im a big paramore fan some other songs that i think would go are
    BRIGHTER- because it kinda describes her and peeta and how she feels.
    also another one is
    CONSPIRACY- beacuse it describes katniss’ feelings about the capitol.
    another one is the
    THE FLOOD by escape the fate- it might be to ,well, screamo but i think it goes well beacuse you need some more upbeat and wild songs in the scenes were theres the fighting and i think it describes katniss situation and how she might feel.
    thats all i got FOR NOW but ill keep looking some up. tell me watcha think?

10. Tori

okay, i really think you should add Shadow of the Day by Linkin Park
    listen to the lyrics and it SO goes along with the book!

11. Kel

I think the song “You’re Not Alone” by Saosin is perfect for The Hunger Games :) It could fit for Peeta, Katniss or Gale.

12. fran

u need rues song on there
    even is it is not a real song u need the song katniss sings to rue as she dies
    deep in the medow, under the willow
    a bed of grass, a soft green pillow,
    hear you are safe,
    hear you are warm,
    hear the daisys gaurd you from any harm…

13. hill

I would definately add the piano version of U2′s Sunday bloody Sunday for the last bit in the arena and right after

14. Yevatron

I think an instrumental version of Right Round by Flo Rida would be great, it sounds kinda violent, and i was listening to this song on repeat when i was reading it, so it seems great. But only instrumental version; the lyrics dont have anything to do with the book.

15. Kylie

I would add Come Home by OneRepublic. I also don’t like alot of the choices. They don’t seem sad or grim enough to fit the book.

16. alexis

i would add poker face by lady gaga cuz katniss uses her “poker Face” when she does not want to cry on camera

17. equestrian_junior_author72

I personally think that the song “One More” by Superchick is absolutely perfect for Hunger Games. It fits Katniss and her determination to win the Hunger Games (and save Peeta) so well, I actually heard the song in my head while I was reading the book!