Author SPLOTlight: Ann M. Martin
Quick -- rock, paper, or scissors?
If you said, "scissors," then congratulations -- you just beat beloved author Ann M. Martin. How do I know? No, I don't have Ms. Martin trapped in my office cubicle, at the ready to play Rock/Paper/Scissors whenever I want. The reason I know she picked "paper" is because when Ann visited the Scholastic offices last month for our video shoot, we asked her to fill out a little questionnaire (with some of the same questions we gave to author Chris D'Lacey).
Take a look at Ann's answers — and see how you compare:
Still dying for more inside scoop on Ann? You're in luck because there's plenty of info on Ann's website: See photos of Ann's family, friends, and pets. Read exclusive notes from Ann to her fans. And find out all kinds of factoids about Ann's life and her many, many books — from the Baby-sitters Club series to Newbery Honor winner A Corner of the Universe.
For example, did you know . . .
- Ann used to work as a book editor!
- Ann's dog, Sadie, was the inspiration for A Dog's Life.
- Just like her characters in the Main Street series, Ann loves to sew.
- You'll never see Ann wearing lipstick — she thinks it smells funny!
- When she was 11, Ann fell off the ladder to her tree house and had to have her spleen removed.
- As a kid, Ann slept with a special blanket that she named Mommy Blanket. She still has the blanket today — although she swears she doesn't sleep with it any more!
- Ann is currently wanted by the FBI for impersonating an officer.
Just kidding about that last one! But seriously, if you check out her website, I guarantee that you'll find out something that's surprising AND actually true!
And after you've explored her site, don't forget to share your thoughts on the Ann M. Martin message board. Or, as always, leave a comment here!
— Karen, STACKS Staffer