A Cyrus Family Friday Night
Last Friday night on MTV was the world premiere of both the new Miley Cyrus video for "Fly on the Wall" and the new Metro Station video for "Seventeen Forever." And while I'm predisposed to love them both regardless, I OMG love them!
First, Miley's video:
My minute by minute reactions:
- There's a boy! (My biggest problem with the "7 Things" video is that the whole song is about a guy but the video is all girls. How hard would it have been to cast a love interest?)
- They're leaving a movie theater. And the dialogue is ominously reminiscent of Michael Jackson's "Thriller."
- Paparazzi Attack! Not the most original idea, but a video trope I love nonetheless (most recently done by Britney Spears in "Pieces of Me").
- I love Miley's styling. The outfit, the jewelry, and the hair are all flawless. (And also remind me of Lindsay Lohan's "Rumors" video, which is another great video about trying to escape the paparazzi.)
- The paparazzi totally break into a Thriller-style dance! I knew it!
- I love, love, love Miley talking at the end. She gives a better recap than anyone else possibly could: "They were dancing, and I'm not really sure why, but they were, and it was absolutely amazing but still really weird, and they kept coming after me, and I really could not escape from them, and every time I would think I did they would just multiply, and it was just so strange that I just could not escape . . . it was insane."
Verdict: Not the most original video in the world, but that doesn't make it any less amazing!
And Metro Station's video:
- There's a Ferris Wheel! I love amusement parks!
- This amusement park is weirdly post-apocalyptic, and I don't get why.
- Whoever did Mason Musso's hair should be fired immediately. It is terrible.
- OTOH, I love Ant's (the drummer's) hair.
- Trace Cyrus can't be judged on a regular 1 to 10 scale. He can only be quantified on a 1 to Trace Cyrus scale, on which he scores a respectable Trace Cyrus.
- Is that Miley in the video?
- There isn't enough Blake (the keyboardist) in this video. Not only does he have cool hair, but also awesome glasses and a rocking scarf.
- There's a dinosaur costume. There is nothing in the world that can't be made better with dinosaur costumes.
Verdict: They're running at about a 50% for decent hair, but 100% for totally awesome!
Think differently? Let me know!
— Carly H., STACKS Staffer