October 11, 2008

Perfect Hunger Games Movie Cast

Posted by at 8:50 am in Book to Big Screen, Celebrities | Permalink

Hungergames The minute I opened The Hunger Games (for ages 12 and up), I started seeing the story in my head. Suzanne Collins uses very evocative language, and a lot of her scenes are structured like movies. Between that and the plot — which practically begs to be turned into a big feature film — I think it’s not too early to start thinking about who should play whom in the movie. Here are my picks:

Katniss Everdeen – Ellen Page
You know Ellen from Juno (rated PG-13), in which she proved her acting chops and demonstrated that she definitely has enough personality to take on Katniss’s strong character.

Peeta Mellark – Benjamin McKenzie
We haven’t seen much of Ben since The OC ended, but he’s perfect for this role. He somehow still looks like a teenager, he’s got the quiet brooding act down pat, and he’s built enough to work as the strong baker’s son.

Haymitch Abernathy – Philip Seymour Hoffman
I’m a little biased here, since PSH is one of my all-time favorite actors, but I do think he’s an objectively great choice. Haymitch is a pretty complicated character, requiring an actor who’s up to the challenge. Plus, he looks the part (at least as I pictured Haymitch).

Effie Trinket – Amy Poehler
This probably isn’t fair to Amy since she’s a hilarious comedian and probably a really nice person. But when I think of Effie, I think loud, obnoxious, overly chipper, and Ms. Poehler has played a bunch of characters just like that. For example, in Mean Girls (rated PG-13), and the voice of a Chipette in Alvin and the Chipmunks (rated PG). Sorry, Amy!

Cinna – Colin Farrell
I have no good justification for this one except that Cinna is awesome and so is Colin Farrell.

What do you think? How’d I do casting the inevitable Hunger Games movie? Let me know your picks in the comments!

— Jack, STACKS Intern

1. Rachel

I’ve looked back on these 13 pages of suggestions, and honestly, some of them are really funny. First off, when I was 13 I apparently wanted Alexander Ludwig for Peeta. Now he’s Cato, and my inner 13-year-old is pleased. Also, one of you mentioned that Isabelle Fuhrman would be a good Katniss? Well, she’s 15 now, and she originally auditioned for Katniss, but was ultimately chosen for the role of Clove. (plus also, when I was 13, I thought Clove was blonde. /facepalm) Another thing that I found funny was that someone picked Stanley Tucci for Cinna, and he’s Ceasar Flickerman now.

2. maria

O M G…. I cant believe the movie is coming out. i ♥ this book. i bought the whole series. it was great, awesome, romantic, and cool.
    i dont really care who plays katniss, petta, or gale as long as i see the movie nothing else matters. by the way i dont think lady gaga should play katniss.

3. Z

I personally think that Natalie Portman should play Katniss!!!! I envision Katniss as a beautiful young woman!

4. Heyy

i am looking forward to reading this book i been waiting to get it and i hoping that i will be able to read it since allot of my friends told me it is a really good book

5. Alex

I totally agree with u but I have my doubts that ellen page would make a good katniss. I mean katniss is small and incredibly talented with a bow and arrow soooooo

6. Jordan

I think there should be an open audition just to get new faces into Hollywood. A lot of people are going to have high hopes if they do. But as long as you keep your head high and do your best you should be glad that you were able to do it. So I hope to get the chance to try out as I’m sure a lot of people do so hopefully they do open auditions.. Fingers crossedXX

7. anonymous

This is who i think the cast should be:
    Katniss:Camilla Belle (maybe)
    Glimmer:Sara Paxton
    Fox face:Emma Stone
    Rue:Bella Thorne
    Clove:Nikki Reed
    Please comment!

8. Lala

I think I could be a good Rue! She was my fav. character by far and I think I could do an amazing job!

9. C

Maybe Kristin Stewart will do a better Katniss cuz
    she’s real pretty (how about
    Miley Cyrus? I don’t think
    she’s that kind of type. Well,she’s pretty,too.)
    Anyway,I think Jeremy Sumpter suits Cato.
    (Cato’s my favorite!)

10. Jess

i’m sorry but Lady gaga would be the LAST person on the PLANET who should be Katniss!!!
    and The JONAS BROTHERS!
    goodness me.
    i need to sit down or i’ll faint.

11. wayben

i like your castings though i don’t see the character in their faces.. i think none of your suggestions fit for the parts.. it would be best, i think, if we choose from newbies. :)