I’m convinced Stephenie Meyer is some kind of evil genius. I picked up Twilight (for ages 12 and up) last month after all the buzz about the movie started coming out and didn’t stop reading until I finished the four-book series. I couldn’t put them down! And now, I find myself re-reading my favorite scenes.
Here are my top five faves:
NOTE: To keep from ruining the books for those not sucked in yet (Get it? Sucked in. Vampire books! Ha!) I’ll leave out which book each scene is from. The fans will know what I’m talking about (wink wink!). But if you really don’t want to know anything, then stay away. In other words, SPOILER ALERT!
5. When Bella passes out in Biology class and Edward carries her (sigh!) to the nurse’s office, joking about avenging her death at the hands of Mike “The Puppy” Newton.
4. When Edward returns to Forks and Bella can’t quite believe it. In her hysteria she’s convinced she’s either dead or having a really vivid nightmare.
3. When Bella learns to drive a motorcycle, mostly to hear that velvet voice scolding her in her head. It’s the first break of levity in a really depressing part of the book. And not even a head wound will stop her from trying again.
2. When Jacob kisses Bella and she punches him, breaking her own hand, then acts like a 4-year-old as she is driven off to see Dr. Cullen. Charlie has a few funny lines in this one (“Good for you, kid.”).
1. The (finally!) metamorphosis — because it was gross, scary, a little funny, and — of course terribly romantic. Three days of pain to spend forever with Edward? Where do I sign up?
I know, I missed a lot (Hello! The prom?! Esme’s Island, etc.) but, HEY, I could only list five. Tell me your faves in the comments.
— Jessica, Scholastic.com Staffer