May 7, 2015
Prejudice is judging people based on how they look, their religion, or their gender. Stereotyping is making a generalization about a group of people. For example, all blondes are dumb, or all Americans are lazy and arrogant, or all people in England have bad teeth. There are also far more offensive stereotypes than these.
Prejudice and stereotyping are caused because people are ignorant. They aren’t educated in other people’s cultures. For example, many people judge others based on the color of their skin. But if they learned a bit more about their culture and people, they would realize that they aren’t that different. Or if people from other countries learned more about Americans and their culture, they might not think that all Americans are lazy and arrogant. Prejudice and stereotyping are just two different forms of bullying.
How do we enact the solution to prejudice and stereotyping? Well, there are many ways to get people educated on other cultures. For example, schools could have classes in which students discuss other cultures and lifestyles.
See? It’s simple! You can take action today by spreading the word or talking to your principal about learning about other cultures, or simply by getting to know someone before you judge him or her. Judging people without getting to know them and acting badly about them because you are prejudiced or biased is bullying. So, be a buddy, not a bully!
Join the Message Board to talk about how prejudice affects you and how to help stop it! Join now!
Izzy, Scholastic Kids Council
May 6, 2015
Do you love books like Harry Potter, Wings of Fire, and The Spiderwick Chronicles? Then we think you will love this brand-new series Pip Bartlett’s Guide to Magical Creatures (for ages 8 and up)!
Meet Pip and her world full of magical creatures and whimsical adventures! Click to read an excerpt, watch the trailer, and take the quiz to see which magical creature matches your personality!
May 5, 2015
What kind of person will you marry when you grow up?
1. You admire. . . A) Hillary Clinton & Barack Obama. B) Kanye West & Kim Kardashian. C) Kevin Durant & Gabby Douglass. D) your mom & dad. E) Albert Einstein & Marie Curie.
2. Favorite thing to watch on TV is . . . A) news. B) reality shows. C) sports. D) cartoons. E) science and history shows.
3. Your crush’s hair is . . . A) a buzz cut. B) always perfectly styled. C) tied back in a ponytail or headband. D) just normal. E) kind of messy — but in a good way!
4. Favorite book series: A) Harry Potter. B) Dear Dumb Diary. C) Game Changers. D) Diary of a Wimpy Kid. E) The Mysterious Benedict Society.
5. Where will you get married? A) In a castle. B) On a private tropical island. C) In a giant stadium. D) At your local church. E) At the Eiffel Tower.
6. Your BFF is . . . A) popular. B) stylish. C) athletic. D) kind. E) smart.
7. If you were a food, you’d be . . . A) Cool Ranch Doritos – zesty! B) ice cream – sweet as can be! C) a protein shake for strength. D) pizza – what could be better? E) a healthy smoothie.
8. When you grow up, your job will be . . . A) President of the United States. B) a famous movie star. C) NBA basketball player. D) teacher. E) a scientist who cures cancer.
10. Once you’re married, you plan to live . . . A) in a big city. B) in Hollywood. C) on a farm. D) in the same neighborhood where you grew up. E) near a large library.
Ready for the results that may determine your entire future?? Keep reading. Continue reading
May 4, 2015
May 4 Is Star Wars Day!
To celebrate, go play the Jedi Trainer Game!
I don’t know why May 4th is Star Wars Day. It seems like such a random date. Nevertheless, I speak for Yoda and all the Jedi knights when I say, “May the 4th be with you!”
What do YOU think Yoda is saying on this book cover? Leave your caption in the Comments.
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
April 30, 2015
Do you love Henry Danger?
Well, the 15-year-old star, Jace Norman just happened to call me today for a chat! Read our exclusive Q & A below.
And be sure to tune in this weekend for the first of a 2-part episode! In part 1, a gang of graffiti artists are spray‐painting all over Swellview. While confronting them, Kid Danger is tempted by a cute girl in the gang, forcing him to choose between her and Captain Man (played by Cooper Barnes). Part 1 is set to air Saturday, May 2 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT), and part 2 will air Saturday, May 9 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT). Watch a video clip!
Sonja: You just turned 15 in March. How did you celebrate your birthday? Continue reading
April 29, 2015
Now that it’s finally spring, I’m so excited to sit outside in the park and read books all day. . . and of course, I have my handy-dandy Books of the Month post to help me plan out my reading list!
Last month I asked you to share what books you were reading (and loving) and I’ve put the results into a word cloud. Check it out . . .
Percy Jackson is obviously the runaway star of this month. More of you voted for PJ this time around than ever before! So I guess I’ll finally be finishing the series this May, and wishing and hoping for a third movie!
What books are you reading now? What books do you think everyone MUST MUST MUST put at the very tippy-top of their summer reading list? Share in the Comments below!
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
April 29, 2015
Meet Browser & Birdie
Woof by Spencer Quinn (for ages 8 and up)
Meet Browser, Louisiana’s top (smelling) dog. Bowser is very handsome and only slightly slobbery, and he can smell lots of things. Like bacon. And rawhide chews! When there is trouble brewing in the Louisiana swamp, Bowser can smell it—and the sweat on humans when they’re lying.
The girl Browser lives with, Birdie Gaux, also knows something is wrong. It’s not just that her Grammy’s stuffed prize marlin has been stolen. It’s the weird rumor that the marlin is linked to a missing treasure. It’s the truck that seems to be following Birdie and the bad feeling on the back of her neck.
When Birdie and Bowser start digging into the mystery, not even Bowser’s powerful sniffer can smell just how menacing the threat is. And when the danger comes straight for Birdie, Bowser knows it up to him to sic ‘em.
Read an excerpt of Woof and find out what kind of crime-fighting dog YOU are!
April 28, 2015
What Kind of Cookie Are You?
It’s your turn to pick a restaurant for dinner on family night out, so you pick . . . a) your favorite diner. b) pizza. c) tacos with the works!!! d) the new Thai restaurant that opened last week. e) Chinese take-out. Eating at home is so much more cozy than going out. Continue reading
April 27, 2015
Writing Prompt: Famous Person Switcheroo
In Freaky Friday, the mother and daughter switch places for a day, and the mother has to go to school and be the kid, and the kid has to handle all the mom duties by herself. Well, imagine what it would be like to switch places for a day with a famous person! Would you want to feel what it was like to be Tom Brady passing a game-winning touchdown? Or Ariana Grande performing in front of a sold-out crowd? Or the President of the United States making important decisions in the Oval Office?
For today’s Writing Prompt, we want to know . . .
If you could trade lives with a famous person for one day, who would it be?
If you would rather switch with a book character, that is ok too. Hermione Granger may be a made-up person, but she is still totally famous! Leave your answers in the Comments below.
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
April 24, 2015
It’s Game Time: Bella and the Bulldogs Would You Rather!
Based on overwhelming responses to our recent interview with Brec Bassinger, we know her new Nickelodeon show Bella and the Bulldogs scored a touchdown with you guys! She’s the bubbly cheerleader who suddenly finds herself fulfilling her dream of becoming the quarterback of the school football team! If you’re a fan, check out our Bella and the Bulldogs Would You Rather.
Would You Rather . . .
- Be the star quarterback OR the head cheerleader?
- Go to an NFL game OR an NBA game?
- Go shopping at Justice OR Sports Authority?
- Live on a ranch in Texas OR a mansion in California?
- Get a sports scholarship to college OR an academic scholarship?
- Lift weights OR learn a dance routine?
- Have to sleep in a football helmet OR a ski mask?
- Have to take a math test OR play fantasy football?
- Wear a dress to a formal dance OR a tuxedo?
- Be the only boy/girl on a team OR be on an all same-sex team (all-girls or all-boys)?
Let us know your answers in the Comments below, and tell us what YOUR call is on Bella and the Bulldogs!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer