Hippolyte posted this awesome-tastic challenge for you on the Fan Fiction Message Board!
So! This is a thing I saw in a STACKS Message Board a LONG time ago and though I’ve never participated myself, I figured it’s high time someone brings a new writing challenge. Here’s the deal:
You are to write a drabble inspired by the first song that comes up on shuffle. Grab your phones/ipods/mp3s/playlists or anything you have with music stored in it and a shuffle option, and enable said option. Your task is to write a short story (fan fiction or original) inspired by the song, for as long as the song is playing. Once the song is over, you stop writing and completely leave it be.
- You may skip songs in case you can’t get inspired, but don’t be too picky or you’ll just be shuffling forever.
- You must skip any songs that are inappropriate either because of language or content. Any song that receives a rating beyond PG 13 according to your judgment should better be avoided. We trust your judgment.
- In case you feel that a song with questionable content is still appropriate enough for this board, please mention all warnings that apply. Your story has to be 100% appropriate for all people on this boards. (As Moderator Katie says, don’t write something you wouldn’t say to a 7/8-year-old.)
- Your drabble can be a fan fiction or an original one. No preferences, but in case of fan fiction, make sure that the fandom you’re writing for is appropriate for younger kids on STACKS (PG 13 at most).
- “Completely leave it be” is just that. Don’t correct anything. Don’t play the song again. Don’t touch it; it’s already a masterpiece.
- Stories are expected to be short. Just brainstorm something and leave it in its raw beauty for the world to see.
- Of course, you’re never obliged to post what you just wrote if you don’t want to. We’re only doing this for fun.
I hope everyone has fun! I also hope you’re not weak enough to decline the challenge. Mwahaha!
So leave your song title and artist in the Comments, and then go to the Fan Fiction Message Board to share your whole story.