May 5, 2015
What kind of person will you marry when you grow up?
1. You admire. . . A) Hillary Clinton & Barack Obama. B) Kanye West & Kim Kardashian. C) Kevin Durant & Gabby Douglass. D) your mom & dad. E) Albert Einstein & Marie Curie.
2. Favorite thing to watch on TV is . . . A) news. B) reality shows. C) sports. D) cartoons. E) science and history shows.
3. Your crush’s hair is . . . A) a buzz cut. B) always perfectly styled. C) tied back in a ponytail or headband. D) just normal. E) kind of messy — but in a good way!
4. Favorite book series: A) Harry Potter. B) Dear Dumb Diary. C) Game Changers. D) Diary of a Wimpy Kid. E) The Mysterious Benedict Society.
5. Where will you get married? A) In a castle. B) On a private tropical island. C) In a giant stadium. D) At your local church. E) At the Eiffel Tower.
6. Your BFF is . . . A) popular. B) stylish. C) athletic. D) kind. E) smart.
7. If you were a food, you’d be . . . A) Cool Ranch Doritos – zesty! B) ice cream – sweet as can be! C) a protein shake for strength. D) pizza – what could be better? E) a healthy smoothie.
8. When you grow up, your job will be . . . A) President of the United States. B) a famous movie star. C) NBA basketball player. D) teacher. E) a scientist who cures cancer.
10. Once you’re married, you plan to live . . . A) in a big city. B) in Hollywood. C) on a farm. D) in the same neighborhood where you grew up. E) near a large library.
Ready for the results that may determine your entire future?? Keep reading. Continue reading
May 4, 2015
May 4 Is Star Wars Day!
To celebrate, go play the Jedi Trainer Game!
I don’t know why May 4th is Star Wars Day. It seems like such a random date. Nevertheless, I speak for Yoda and all the Jedi knights when I say, “May the 4th be with you!”
What do YOU think Yoda is saying on this book cover? Leave your caption in the Comments.
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
April 30, 2015
Do you love Henry Danger?
Well, the 15-year-old star, Jace Norman just happened to call me today for a chat! Read our exclusive Q & A below.
And be sure to tune in this weekend for the first of a 2-part episode! In part 1, a gang of graffiti artists are spray‐painting all over Swellview. While confronting them, Kid Danger is tempted by a cute girl in the gang, forcing him to choose between her and Captain Man (played by Cooper Barnes). Part 1 is set to air Saturday, May 2 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT), and part 2 will air Saturday, May 9 at 8 p.m. (ET/PT). Watch a video clip!
Sonja: You just turned 15 in March. How did you celebrate your birthday? Continue reading
April 29, 2015
Now that it’s finally spring, I’m so excited to sit outside in the park and read books all day. . . and of course, I have my handy-dandy Books of the Month post to help me plan out my reading list!
Last month I asked you to share what books you were reading (and loving) and I’ve put the results into a word cloud. Check it out . . .
Percy Jackson is obviously the runaway star of this month. More of you voted for PJ this time around than ever before! So I guess I’ll finally be finishing the series this May, and wishing and hoping for a third movie!
What books are you reading now? What books do you think everyone MUST MUST MUST put at the very tippy-top of their summer reading list? Share in the Comments below!
En-Szu, STACKS Writer
April 29, 2015
Meet Browser & Birdie
Woof by Spencer Quinn (for ages 8 and up)
Meet Browser, Louisiana’s top (smelling) dog. Bowser is very handsome and only slightly slobbery, and he can smell lots of things. Like bacon. And rawhide chews! When there is trouble brewing in the Louisiana swamp, Bowser can smell it—and the sweat on humans when they’re lying.
The girl Browser lives with, Birdie Gaux, also knows something is wrong. It’s not just that her Grammy’s stuffed prize marlin has been stolen. It’s the weird rumor that the marlin is linked to a missing treasure. It’s the truck that seems to be following Birdie and the bad feeling on the back of her neck.
When Birdie and Bowser start digging into the mystery, not even Bowser’s powerful sniffer can smell just how menacing the threat is. And when the danger comes straight for Birdie, Bowser knows it up to him to sic ‘em.
Read an excerpt of Woof and find out what kind of crime-fighting dog YOU are!
April 28, 2015
What Kind of Cookie Are You?
It’s your turn to pick a restaurant for dinner on family night out, so you pick . . . a) your favorite diner. b) pizza. c) tacos with the works!!! d) the new Thai restaurant that opened last week. e) Chinese take-out. Eating at home is so much more cozy than going out. Continue reading
April 27, 2015
Writing Prompt: Famous Person Switcheroo
In Freaky Friday, the mother and daughter switch places for a day, and the mother has to go to school and be the kid, and the kid has to handle all the mom duties by herself. Well, imagine what it would be like to switch places for a day with a famous person! Would you want to feel what it was like to be Tom Brady passing a game-winning touchdown? Or Ariana Grande performing in front of a sold-out crowd? Or the President of the United States making important decisions in the Oval Office?
For today’s Writing Prompt, we want to know . . .
If you could trade lives with a famous person for one day, who would it be?
If you would rather switch with a book character, that is ok too. Hermione Granger may be a made-up person, but she is still totally famous! Leave your answers in the Comments below.
- Ratha, STACKS Writer
April 24, 2015
It’s Game Time: Bella and the Bulldogs Would You Rather!
Based on overwhelming responses to our recent interview with Brec Bassinger, we know her new Nickelodeon show Bella and the Bulldogs scored a touchdown with you guys! She’s the bubbly cheerleader who suddenly finds herself fulfilling her dream of becoming the quarterback of the school football team! If you’re a fan, check out our Bella and the Bulldogs Would You Rather.
Would You Rather . . .
- Be the star quarterback OR the head cheerleader?
- Go to an NFL game OR an NBA game?
- Go shopping at Justice OR Sports Authority?
- Live on a ranch in Texas OR a mansion in California?
- Get a sports scholarship to college OR an academic scholarship?
- Lift weights OR learn a dance routine?
- Have to sleep in a football helmet OR a ski mask?
- Have to take a math test OR play fantasy football?
- Wear a dress to a formal dance OR a tuxedo?
- Be the only boy/girl on a team OR be on an all same-sex team (all-girls or all-boys)?
Let us know your answers in the Comments below, and tell us what YOUR call is on Bella and the Bulldogs!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
April 22, 2015
It’s Earth Day today!
“You are the future generation. You are the ones who are going to have to deal with this mess that everybody else behind us has gotten us into!” says ten-year-old Grace in HBO’s family documentary Saving My Tomorrow, airing tonight at 7:30 p.m.
This latest installment in the Saving My Tomorrow series showcases the ways kids are doing their part to clean up the environment. Focusing on plastic pollution and deforestation, the special includes stories about the Amazon rainforest and the albatross, and follows young activists around the world as they clean up beaches, plant trees, and demonstrate at City Hall. The creators of the show also made a whole list of Monthly Eco-Tips so you can celebrate Earth Day every month during the year. Earth Day is every day! Here is the tip for April.
APRIL • Cleanup days. Participate in cleanup days at a local beach or park or river, helping pick up litter before it harms wildlife. You will become better connected with the ecosystems in your community too.
What will you do to celebrate Earth day? Will you plan a cleanup in your community? Will you watch the HBO special Saving My Tomorrow? Tell us in the Comments.
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
Image courtesy of HBO
April 21, 2015
Famous Books Written by Literary Dogs
We already know that cats are literary geniuses. While people consider dogs to be “human’s best friend,” did you know that they’re also great writers? I had no idea how many famous books were written by dogs until I found this stash of books hidden out in the dog house . . . buried under a few of my dog’s favorite chew toys.
Can you identify these famous literary masterpieces written by dogs?
- Hairy Pawter and the Sorcerer’s Bone by J.K. Rawhide
- The Woof According to Humphrey by Betty G. Bark-ney
- Diary of a Wimpy Dog: Doggy Days by Jeff Kennel
- Dear Dalmatian Diary by Jim Bone-ton
- I Survived Hurricane CAT-trina by Lauren Terrier
Leave your answers in the Comments below, and let us know what books you would find in your dog library!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
“The Librarian” Flickr photo by aussiegall adapted with permission
“Dog Looks Like Harry Potter” Flickr photo by Pets Advisor adapted with permission