On February 2, more than 3,000 Donald Trump supporters crammed into an athletic club in Milford, New Hampshire to hear the Republican candidate speak. The place was buzzing with excitement. Before Trump came on, a group of people went onto the stage and delivered speeches. This included some of Trump’s campaign managers and former United States Senator Scott Brown. Continue reading
Adventures in Babysitting, inspired by the hugely popular 1980s film of the same name, is an upcoming Disney Channel Original Movie starring Sabrina Carpenter (from Girl Meets World) and Sofia Carson (from Descendants). It is set to premiere in 2016 on Disney Channel.
In Adventures in Babysitting, a dull evening for two competing babysitters, Jenny (Sabrina Carpenter) and Lola (Sofia Carson), turns into an adventure in the big city as they hunt for one of the kids who somehow snuck away. Talk about a babysitter’s nightmare!
Are you excited for this new Disney Channel movie? Tell us in the Comments.
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
The two main characters Auggie and Melody both have physical disabilities. These disabilities don’t stop them from still being very bright children. They both want to be apart of the big group with so-called “normal” kids. After many attempts they were rejected.
In Out of My Mind, Melody continues to try different ways to work around her disabilities. Instead of giving up, Melody joins a trivia group with “normal” kids. Melody is then accepted. Melody accepts how she is and deals with what she can do.
In Wonder on the other hand, Auggie just gives up because he feels he is not wanted at school. He thinks about what he wants to be, not what he can do with his disabilities.
Read these books to figure out the true stories of these wonderful characters.
Michael, Scholastic Kids Council
As you know, the Super Bowl is almost here. The 50th Super Bowl football game will be played on Sunday, February 7. The Denver Broncos will battle the Carolina Panthers, so I thought we could round up some of the best football facts and fun from the STACKS. Here are a few things for you to do to get ready for the big game.
- Take this Super Bowl trivia quiz.
- Play the Game Changers football game.
- Get the latest football books from Scholastic.
- Leave a Comment telling us which team you are rooting for in Super Bowl 50!
- Or if you prefer animal sports, will you be watching the Kitten Bowl on Hallmark Channel, or Puppy Bowl on Animal Planet?
Photos courtesy of Hallmark Channel and Animal Planet
February has me thinking about Valentine’s Day, and while I’m not really a mushy, love-y kind of girl, sometimes I like a good story about everyday, typical kids in real, true to life situations. Here are three not-super-mushy books to get you in the mood for Valentine’s Day this year.
Sit, Stay, Love: A Wish Novel by J.J. Howard
Puppy love was never so complicated! A funny and heartwarming story about a meet-cute at a pet shelter.
The Boy Problem by Kami Kinard
From Kami Kinard comes an illustrated companion novel to The Boy Project that further explores what it’s like to be a 12-year-old girl looking for the perfect crush. The Boy Problem: Notes and Predictions of Tabitha Reddy is a laugh-out-loud peek in the life of a precocious and bubbly girl. Full of illustrations and doodles, hilarious formulas and equations, as well as lessons in life, love, friendship, and baking, this diary will have you laughing and crying at the same time.
Romeo Blue by Phoebe Stone
Secrets, spies and sleuthing abound in this follow-up to Phoebe Stone’s The Romeo and Juliet Code. When Flissy Budwig’s parents first dropped her off in Bottlebay, Maine, she hated everything about it. Most of all, she hated knowing that she was safe in America while her parents faced the guns of WWII in Europe. Especially when she discovered her parents were spies. Especially when she learned her parents were missing.
But a year has passed now, and Flissy has grown to love life in Bottlebay and grown to love Derek, the boy the Bathburns have adopted. Then a man claiming to be Derek’s true father arrives, and soon he’s asking all sorts of strange questions. Flissy has a nose for trouble. Has Derek’s new father come to take him away from Flissy forever, or is there something even more sinister afoot in Bottlebay, Maine?
What books are YOU reading this month? Tell us in the Comments!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
The greatest gift I got this holiday season? Star Wars: The Force Awakens (rated PG-13)! While I’m not as hardcore about it as my good friend who went to see the movie every day for 30 days in a row (not kidding), I still consider myself a pretty big Star Wars fan. And with all the new characters, there’s never been a better time for a STAR WARS PERSONALITY QUIZ! Are you a passionate and whip-smart leader like Padme Amidala? Are you a brave but hesitant rebel like Finn? Take the Star Wars Personality Quiz to find out!
1. This weekend, you can’t wait to: a) learn how to juggle, do a cool new skateboard trick, or recreate your favorite dish from scratch. b) hang out with your best friend, listening to cool new music together. c) volunteer at your local animal shelter. d) visit your grandparents. e) construct the world’s stinkiest stink bomb ever!
2. Your favorite snack is: a) a granola bar. b) something you can share, like goldfish crackers. c) anything healthy. d) an apple. e) gummy bears.
3. You’d love to go to this kind of music concert: a) hip-hop. b) singer-songwriter. c) pop. d) classical. e) anything loud, loud, loud!
4. People describe you as: a) talented. b) easy-going. c) generous. d) wise. e) wild.
5. Your favorite color is: a) red. b) blue. c) white. d) green. e) Is glitter a color?
6. If you could have any superpower, you would most like to have: a) the ability to learn anything by watching someone else do it. b) invisibility. c) the ability to read other people’s minds. d) the ability to fly. e) the ability to transform into other animals or objects.
7. The career you would most like to have: a) inventor. b) singer. c) political leader. d) writer. e) actor.
8. Your favorite book genre is: a) action and adventure! b) sci-fi/fantasy. c) historical fiction or biography. d) realistic fiction. e) funny fiction.
9. Your personal style is: a) sporty casual. b) comfy and cool. c) classic and polished. d) very practical. If it’s cold out, you zip your jacket right up! e) outrageous.
10. You are happiest when you are: a) out in the wild and surrounded by nature. b) in a small, friendly town that feels like one big family. c) in the heart of a busy city, right where all the action is. d) by the sea, where everyone is very calm and laid-back. e) anywhere you have room to practice extreme sports. Continue reading
Welcome to West Woggle, home of woolly mammoths, fruitafossors, and the Oodlethunk family!
One day, Oona Oodlethunk finds a mysterious—and very special—egg. She doesn’t know what’s in it, but she does know one thing: she’ll do anything to protect her egg until it hatches. But it looks like everybody in West Wog wants a piece of her treasure, including her little brother Thunk and that smelly kid Bruce Brute. Oona will do whatever it takes to safeguard her egg—no one will get their grimy, Cro-Magnon hands on it! Oona can’t wait to find out what’s inside her egg—even though it might just gobble her up!
Want to learn more about the Oodlethunks? Watch the series trailer!
Picture this: You’re at the beach and you hop into the ocean for a little swim when all of a sudden you are attacked by a giant jellyfish! Ouch! This actually happened to 10-year-old Rachael in Australia. Read the true story here.
Are you a fan of the I Survived series by Lauren Tarshis? Which book is your favorite? Tell us in the Comments.
Yes, I know it’s hard to believe (and believe me, I’d much rather forget!), but I used to be a brace-face. Those were the longest years of my LIFE. Braces are uncomfortable, painful, awkward, and so annoying. I was so excited when I finally got mine off! To show sympathy and solidarity for those of you currently experiencing the struggle, I’m bringing you a list of Ten Problems Only People With Braces Understand:
- Apples are the enemy. Apple skins are the WORST.
- Flossing takes FOREVER! It’s practically the next day when you finally finish!
- You’re always nervous about smiling because you never know what food might be stuck in there.
- Getting them tightened HURTS A LOT!
- Switching out band colors is cool, but you’re stuck with that color for a whole month. Who wants to wear the same color ANYTHING for that long?
- After eating a sandwich, at least 45% of the sandwich is stuck in your braces.
- No gum, caramel, or hard candy! Like I said . . . those were the LONGEST years of my life!
- Getting scratched and cut by stray wires on the inside of your mouth—ouch!
- That awful feeling when the orthodontist tells you it’s going to take longer to be braces-free than you were initially told. (Absolutely devastating.)
- Finally getting your braces off, but then wearing a retainer for what feels like the rest of forever.
Oh yes, the braces struggle is very, very real! Do you, or did you, wear braces? Are you going to need braces soon? Share your thoughts in the Comments below!
Yours in pain,
Create a Caption for Rocky the Dog!
Hey there, dog lovers! This dog looks like he’s relaxing at home after a long day! What would you say he is thinking?
Here’s my caption: “Can we just stay in and snuggle now? I’m exhausted from chasing my tail all day, and I never even caught it!”
Write YOUR caption in the Comments below!
Megan, STACKS Intern