We’re big fans of Radio Disney’s Next Big Thing winners 15-year-old Chloe and (almost) 14-year-old Halle Bailey! The sister duo have been impressing listeners around the world with their incredible singing abilities, performing on Austin & Ally, and even getting props from Beyoncé (!!!) for their cover of her music. In this interview, the two girls talk about what it was like winning N.B.T., their favorite books, and why it’s important to have great self-esteem. Check it out (and be sure to read our interview with another N.B.T. favorite Becky G)! Continue reading
Last year, STACKS readers voted to select the title of the 5th book in the Whatever After series. You voted for the title of the Rapunzel-themed story and the winning choice was Bad Hair Day. Want to see what the title will look like on the book? Check out the cover!
What do you think? Whatever After #5: Bad Hair Day will be available on April 29!
Tell us in the Comments which Whatever After cover is your favorite. Visit the Whatever After site to see them all.
Starring Jules, the series that features the lively Jules Bloom in awesome in-the-spotlight situations, goes international in its newest book, Starring Jules (Super-Secret Spy Girl)! To celebrate book #3, and since being a SUPER-SECRET SPY GIRL is (or should be) your ultimate goal in life, we got Jules to hook us up with an extremely important to-do list:
10 Ways to be a Super-Secret Spy Girl by Jules Bloom
- Practice stealth. (Spies are always sneaking around.)
- Get your brand new best friend to write you e-mail spy assignments all the way from London, England. (This will make you very James Bond-like.)
- Try not to roll eyes when your ex-best friend writes you from fancy summer drama camp.
- If you get some alarming news, like maybe when you travel to Montreal for your first ever big-time movie, whatever you do, don’t freak out. (Oh, and sit near the window: there is a potential puker in the form of one Teddy Lichtenstein.)
- Hope that Canadians are understanding of lispy little brothers and their rubber ducks in disguise.
- Try hard — but not too hard — to get teen mega-star Emma Saxony not to hate you completely.
- When you fail miserably at #6, move on to ex-hockey superstar — now mega-movie star — Rick Hinkley. If you are lucky, he will use his hockey-playing past to help you out with a stunt or two.
- Look danger (in the form of a certain mudslide) right in the eye!
- Try not to be disappointed when things take funny turns. Road-trips, and life, are less like a spy movie and more like a special episode of your favorite sitcom.
- Take deep breaths and look how far you’ve come since your early days as–ahem!–a mouthwash-spitting newbie. (To do this, check out Book #1, Starring Jules (As Herself) in paperback at long last!)
If you’re ready to take on this list, or if you want to see how Jules does it, check out Starring Jules (Super-Secret Spy Girl). NOW AVAILABLE!
Do you ever associate your personality type with the characteristics or features of a certain animal? Have you ever imagined what animal you would be? Are you free as a bird or loyal as a dog? What does your personality say about you? Take this quiz and see which animal you are! Continue reading
On March 17, everyone wears green and becomes a little bit Irish to celebrate old Saint Patrick. Here are a few other things for you to do to celebrate your Irish heritage (whether real or fake)!
- Test your knowledge in the St. Patrick’s Day Trivia Quiz.
- Play the St. Patrick’s Would You Rather Game.
What is your favorite thing about St. Patrick’s Day? Tell us in the Comments.
Thanks to everyone who joined us for the STACKS Winter Reading Games. Your participation in all the events, and especially in the live Readathon made it really special and fun for us to host.
Now, it’s time for the presentation of medals! Imagine your national anthem sounding and your national flag rising in the virtual stadium as we announce the medals. The STACKS Winter Reading Games Medals go to: Continue reading
Smokey is such a beautiful dog! Doesn’t it look like he is posing for a picture? I think Smokey could be a model appearing on the cover of Doggy Vogue magazine!
My caption: “Okay I’m all ready for my close up! You can come over here with the camera now. Should I lie down in the grass like this? Can somebody get me some Terrier water and bone? A doggy model has got to eat ya’ know!”
What do YOU think? Write your own caption for this picture in the Comments!
–Amanda, STACKS Intern
Gather all your books and snacks, and prepare for a live 4-hour reading marathon starting Saturday, March 1 at 12 noon ET.
Your goal for the Readathon is to read for 4 straight hours, but don’t worry. STACKS Staffer, En-Szu and I will be there to cheer you on with hourly challenges and inspiration to keep you going.
Although the ice has settled from the Winter Olympics, we’re keeping the torch alive with the STACKS Winter Reading Games. Every day, it’s a different event! Today’s main event is Guess the Book! We’ll describe a book in 1 sentence, and you have to guess the title.
Ready to go for the gold? Begin!
- The name of this book is so heavily guarded that even the author’s name is a mystery: Pseudonymous Bosch!
- Fone, Phoney, Smiley, and Gran’ma are some of the characters in this epic comic book series.
- In this deathly final book, Harry, Ron, and Hermione finally bring the battle with Voldemort to a conclusion.
- Percy first discovers he is the son of a mortal woman and the Greek god Poseidon in this book.
- This goth-girl-mad-scientist has a lab assistant named Igor, desires to take over the world, and once tried to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to “fit in” with her normal friends. (Hint: It’s a Jim Benton series!)
- After Greg and Rowley get into a fight, and Rowley ditches him, Greg tries to train Fregley to become his best friend.
- She’s a baby . . . she’s a mouse . . . and she has her own comic book series.
—Ratha, STACKS Writer