Did you know that July is National Ice Cream Month?? Sounds like it’s actually the BEST MONTH EVER! I know that I’m gonna spend this month shoveling as much ice cream in my face as possible. No flavor is safe! And my favorite thing to do while eating ice cream is, of course, reading a book! Wouldn’t it be cool if we could combine our favorite books with our favorite ice cream to create book-inspired ice cream flavors? Read on for a few ideas of what I mean. . . Continue reading
We know you guys are big fans of the Despicable Me movies, and as you might know, the unofficial prequel Minions movie is hitting theaters July 10th! In the movie, we follow the minions in search of the perfect supervillain to work for before they met Gru. They try out Dracula, Napoleon, and the new character Scarlet Overkill.
And, this month only, if you subscribe to the STACKS Blast Newsletter you can enter for a chance to win a free Minions Prize Pack including the Minions Operation game and a Minions lunchbox! Subscribe here right now!
Now, get into the minion mindset, and let us know would you rather . . .
1. Be Stuart (one eyeball) OR Bob (small bald guy) OR Kevin (tall skinny guy)?
2. Be Dracula’s minion OR Gru’s minion?
3. Be able to understand “minion” OR speak 10 languages?
4. Be a supervillain OR superhero?
5. Battle The Incredible Hulk OR Darth Vader?
6. HAVE a sidekick OR BE a sidekick?
7. Eat bananas for a week OR watermelon for a week?
8. Have a dragon breathe fire on you OR a sumo wrestler sit on you?
Leave your answers in the Comments below, and let us know if you’re psyched for the movie!
-Ratha, Stacks Writer
Ron. Yep I know a lot of you will be surprised but I just dislike Ron, as he is quite useless throughout the series other than the one time when he destroyed a horcrux. Other than that, all he does is take the female main character (Hermione Granger) as a wife and yeah. He really just slows things down, makes too much noise, and is too sensitive. I guess his family is okay as they help Harry quite a bit throughout the series, but Ron himself really does nothing. I guess he can be funny at times but that is the only positive thing that he does consistently throughout the series.
What do YOU think? Do you agree that Ron is useless? Who is YOUR least favorite good character? Tell us in the Comments!
Today’s Would You Rather questions come from from IpodClub36.
You and your family are planning a trip, so would you rather . . .
- Go meet your favorite famous movie star OR go to China?
- Go to Paris OR go to Texas?
- Go to Greece OR go to Italy?
- Go hike up a mountain OR swim with dolphins?
- Go play at your friend’s house OR just play in your back yard?
- Go to an art place OR go to a music place?
- Go to Oz OR go to Hogwarts?
Hoped you liked them! Leave your answers in the Comments!
So far this has happened to my friend TWO times . . . She was in line at the drive-thru Starbucks, and the person in the car in front of her paid for her order! Isn’t that crazy? So by the time she got to the window to pay, it was already paid for!
Sometimes I wonder about these random acts of kindness. If we all did something at least once . . . one time a day . . . could we change the world one small step at a time? Or at least make it a little happier?
I love this quote by the Chinese poet Lao Tzu: “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”
What do you guys think? There are at least a million ways to be kind! Let’s get a list going of acts of kindness that you can do anywhere to brighten someone’s day. Like . . .
- including someone new into your conversation
- giving away a few of your old toys you’ve outgrown to your neighbor’s baby
- holding the door instead of barging ahead
- saying “Hello” to someone in school you’ve never spoken to before
What else can you guys think of? We can’t wait to see your small acts of kindness. We’ll tally the count in the Comments below!
-Ratha, STACKS Writer
Teen Beach 2 is airing this Friday, people, at 8 p.m. on Disney Channel! Are you ready? The Wet Side Story gang will be traveling forward in time to Brady and Mack’s world. That means we will get to meet all their modern-day friends and schoolmates including 3 new characters: Alyssa (played by Piper Curda), Devon (played by Raymond Cham, Jr), and Spencer (played by Ross Butler).
Piper, Raymond, and Ross were visiting New York with the cast of Teen Beach 2, and they stopped over for a visit at Scholastic! Here is the whole cast celebrating in New York’s Central Park. Read on for more about my super-fun visit with Piper, Raymond, and Ross.
They started off on a serious note recommending their favorite books in this video.
Then, things got very contentious when I asked them the Teen Beach 2 Would You Rather questions. Watch this video to see them argue it out! And make sure you watch to the end because they have a sweet message for all Teen Beach fans.
So fun, right? It was really great to meet them, and I can’t wait to see Teen Beach 2 on Friday! Leave a Comment and tell us what you think!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
Gregg Sulkin from the new DVD movie Frog Kingdom (rated PG) is here to answer YOUR questions!
Q: Can you describe your character in Frog Kingdom? Do you have anything in common with him?
Gregg: I play Inspector Noggin but the movie is about a self-contained world, which is actually just a pond where all the frogs live. It’s a monarchical society with a king and queen and a princess. Every year, they hold the frog Olympic Games and this year, the king has decided to give away his daughter in marriage to the winner of the games. So Princess Froglegs runs away. She disguises herself to compete in the games and win to prove “she don’t need no man.” LOL. Inspector Noggin is one of the king’s advisors and a bit of a know-it-all Sherlock Holmes type. The King sends him off to find the princess and bring her back.
I couldn’t really relate because I like to listen and learn from people who are more knowledgeable than myself, whereas my character definitely doesn’t.
Q: What is your favorite scene in the cartoon Frog Kingdom?
Gregg: Probably Princess Frogleg’s scene at the games.
Q: How did you decide that you wanted to be in the Frog Kingdom?
Gregg: Mychal Simka and I had worked together before and I liked the idea of the film. Mychal wanted me on board, so I was happy to join.
Q: What’s your favorite book and why?
Gregg: Wow. Tough question – I read so many scripts I don’t have time to read books as much as I would like!
Q: Is it fun acting in shows and movies?
Gregg: It’s the best. I’m very lucky and I am very aware of that.
Q: What was it like to be a werewolf in Wizards of Waverly Place?
Gregg: It was awesome. The channel treated me very well and gave me a great platform to build from. I’ve developed as an actor and thankfully my fan base has grown massively too.
Q: What is your favorite food?
Gregg: Chocolate or cookies. I have a sweet tooth.
Q: Are any of your characters based on real people?
Michael Northrop: None of the characters are based entirely on real people—and I don’t know anyone who’s been brought back from the dead!—but they all have some bits and pieces and traits and tics from real people. As a writer, pieces of yourself make their way into all of your characters. I like to think that I have some of Alex’s determination, and some of Ren’s serious work ethic.
I’ve also visited many of the places mentioned in the books, so I was able to bring real history and a real sense of place into the books. As a New Yorker, I’ve spent many hours at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (and in the subway system!) and I was also able to visit London and the British Museum, where Book 2 takes place. It did rain while I was there . . . just not blood rain.
Q: If you had to trade places with one of your characters for a day, who would it be?
Michael Northrop: That’s an easy one—I’d trade places with Alex and spend the day having a blast (of wind) with the scarab!
Q: In real life, would any of your characters be friends of yours?
Michael Northrop: I like all of the main characters! Luke might be too cool for me, but if we found ourselves together we could definitely talk sports for an afternoon and probably catch a game. And Alex and Ren are a tight little BFF unit—they don’t necessarily need a third wheel following them around and trying to write down everything they say as research for the fourth book. So I’d probably end up hanging out with Todtman and practicing my horrible German.
Michael Northrop, Author
Hi! Now that school is out, you have time to think about very deep, important topics that your brain just couldn’t focus on while you had so much homework to finish! Well, this quiz is your chance to go deep into your own heart and soul and tell us about the real you. We want to know . . .
- What is your favorite season and why?
- Do you prefer new beginnings or old traditions?
- What is your favorite place and why?
- What is your favorite food?
- In general, do you enjoy school?
- What is one thing that is very important to you?
- Do you think outside the box?
- What is your favorite subject in school?
- What genres of books do you like to read and why?
- Are you an optimist or a pessimist?
- Do you like happy endings, sad endings, or open (hopeful) endings?
- Do you prefer peace or excitement?
- Do you enjoy a lot of suspense in books?
- Name a few of your favorite books.
- Name someone you admire and why.
- What are you excited for in the upcoming year?
- What is something in your life that is bothering you at the moment?
- What is something about other people that is bothering you at the moment?
- Name a couple of books that have affected you in some way.
- When making an important decision, do you mostly consider the past, the present, or your hopes for the future?
Leave your answers in the Comments — to just 1 question or as many questions as you want to answer!
Sonja, STACKS Staffer
Would You Rather: Summer
1. Would you rather have a summer with tons of snow OR a winter with a massive heat wave?
2. Would you rather drink hot chocolate in summer OR eat ice cream in winter?
3. Would you rather have your own custom beach umbrella that you designed online for a lot of money OR buy a very cheap beach umbrella with only a few colors?
4. Would you rather go to summer school but have more breaks off during the year OR not go to summer school and get no breaks at all (except for holidays)?
5. Would you rather study all summer (with no free time) and have nice, breezy weather OR not study at all and have it be so hot that you need a cooler every second?
6. Would you rather read 300 books by the end of the summer and get extra credit in school and an awesome prize OR read only 10 books by the end of the summer, have to redo a grade, and get a rock as a prize?
7. Would you rather have a big summer party for one day but have to go back to school for the rest of the summer OR have to study every day but never have homework and have many breaks during the year?
8. Would you rather have tons of fun free time all year without school and homework, but lose all your friends OR go to school every single day of the year with large piles of homework but keep all your friends?
9. Would you rather sew your own bathing suit for 2 weeks in the heat (no breaks) and have it be totally worth it OR buy a bathing suit at the store and never ever get to go to the beach again?
10. Would you rather go to the beach every single day with it very cool out OR go to the amusement park every day with the weather being roasting hot?
Hope you like it!